The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Let's talk about ChromaVerb...
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

Let's talk about ChromaVerb...

Seems like this smart new Apple plug-in deserves it's own thread, rather than info being buried in a general update discussion.

So let's give it one!

Sounds... spaces... presets... CPU... bugs... away we go...
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

It sounds fantastic imo.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

I've actually now spent a day playing around with ChromaVerb and using it on a mix, and much though I want to love it I don't think I can just yet.

I love the interface and some of the tones, but something seems to be up with the processing of the dry signal. Specifically, ChromaVerb seems to be affecting and passing through some of the dry sound when obviously it shouldn't be.

I've tried this both as an insert on a track (set to <50% dry) and on a buss where it is obviously set to 0% dry.

Whichever way you wire it, the original track seems to take a boost in volume and come through in ChromaVerb. I've tried some other Reverb plug-ins and I can confirm that this isn't the case with others; there's no change in level of the original track being 'effected'.

Can anyone else confirm/replicate/refute my findings?
Old 1st October 2018
I was surprised not to find more threads on this reverb specifically. Very lush sound imo, though I'm still not quite sure how it stacks up to the competition.

As to the question of the dry signal, with low distance the early reflections are bordering on indistinguishable from the dry signal. Not sure if this is to be expected, but that probably accounts for it..
Old 1st October 2018
PS, make sure you set the quality to Ultra
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

chromaverb is really great!

imagine one of the hype-companies releasing something like this .. people would be out of their mind.

does anybody know who is behind this reverb, who did the dsp?
Old 2nd October 2018
f33
Gear Addict

i dont think its terrible, but i don't like it. Several of the third party plug ins i like better for the type of music i make (electronic, house, techno).

I'll still use silver, platinum, and A verb for some things just because of the low cpu and i know how they sit in the mix.

Hoping that i find my aha! moment with it and be able to use it more because i ilke the GUI.
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowudders View Post

imagine one of the hype-companies releasing something like this .. people would be out of their mind.

I'm also curious.
The first thought was that it reminded Fabfilter Pro-R.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Love it. I love algorithmic reverbs and this is a great addition.

There are probably better ones (well I use a lot of Valhalla) but when I reached for Chromaverb I found it really useful as a slightly different but nice spice reverb. I'm finding as of late Logic really has added some useful integrated plugins. along with the Vintage EQs and the already good compressors, the need for third party plugins is becoming a very closed gap. I could happily mix on all the included plugins.

Having said that, I still keep my others, all it does is up the game nicely as third parties need to deliver something a bit more special to compete.

I love to graphics though. Hopefully soon there will be Logic clone for all.
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Addict

I find it's not the most refined of reverbs (sound wise) but is a useful addition to the arsenal, having its own particular vibe.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowudders View Post

It’s from the Camel Audio team in UK according to CDM blog.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Wow really? That's cool
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Addict

My respect for this reverb has gone up since my last comment, when I said it lacked a refined sound. It's so good to have has a stock plugin.
Old 5th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Yeah.

Apple Acquires Popular Instrument and Effect Plug-In Maker Camel Audio [Updated] - MacRumors
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear
Hmm... I don't see the part where they specifically talk about the ChromaVerb though? I mean I'm aware that Apple bought Camel Audio several years ago and as a result we now have Alchemy, Camel Phat and Camel Space as stock plugins in Logic, but nothing about ChromaVerb?
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Faber View Post
LOL wtf is that??? Ahhh, in the controls page. Well that's 3 albums made without ultra!
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
LOL wtf is that??? Ahhh, in the controls page. Well that's 3 albums made without ultra!
I have ChromaVerb set to open up in High mode, I find that that's good enough for me
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Faber View Post
Wow thanks for the heads up on this, totally missed it.

It's actually kinda like having three different plugins or like the 70s/80s/Modern button on Valhalla Vintage Verb ... the low setting is pretty sweet for a lo-fi vibe, or just for something darker. Ultra may be too bright for some applications. It's more of a tone control than a quality setting!
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Addict

I wish they'd change the orange typeface - impossible to read when you're leaning back a bit.

Great sound though
Old 27th February 2019
Here for the gear

Not gonna lie, when I bought Logic I came in with the stock-plugin-stigma mentality but once I tried ChromaVerb, I was blown away!!

Very crisp and lush and sounds "special". Not something you'd want on every instrument, just some spice here and there.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I've actually now spent a day playing around with ChromaVerb and using it on a mix, and much though I want to love it I don't think I can just yet.

I love the interface and some of the tones, but something seems to be up with the processing of the dry signal. Specifically, ChromaVerb seems to be affecting and passing through some of the dry sound when obviously it shouldn't be.

I've tried this both as an insert on a track (set to <50% dry) and on a buss where it is obviously set to 0% dry.

Whichever way you wire it, the original track seems to take a boost in volume and come through in ChromaVerb. I've tried some other Reverb plug-ins and I can confirm that this isn't the case with others; there's no change in level of the original track being 'effected'.

Can anyone else confirm/replicate/refute my findings?
Why not just like, turn the volume down then?

If you want to measure it use logic test oscillator and just look at the meters.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Wow thanks for the heads up on this, totally missed it.

It's actually kinda like having three different plugins or like the 70s/80s/Modern button on Valhalla Vintage Verb ... the low setting is pretty sweet for a lo-fi vibe, or just for something darker. Ultra may be too bright for some applications. It's more of a tone control than a quality setting!

Wow fuggies good tip. Will fuxasaurus with this!
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
Why not just like, turn the volume down then?

If you want to measure it use logic test oscillator and just look at the meters.

Ok I took 2 minutes out of my day to do this. 100% dry, level was identical.
Old 28th February 2019
Ksp
Lives for gear

Its a lovely reverb Chromaverb but like all software reverbs i find it one dimensional at times , a lot of these plugs have one sound no matter what the settings and i think whilst a good additional reverb you need a wide selection of reverbs and some way to emulate the grain of hardware in particular and real spaces or your music will just sound one dimensional.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
Hmm... I don't see the part where they specifically talk about the ChromaVerb though? I mean I'm aware that Apple bought Camel Audio several years ago and as a result we now have Alchemy, Camel Phat and Camel Space as stock plugins in Logic, but nothing about ChromaVerb?
I misread. It’s implied that the new range of effects in the 10.4 update maybe the work of Camel audio.

Logic Pro X 10.4: New effects, and play and mix audio without a click - CDM Create Digital Music
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Head

Chromaverb rules. And I have nearly all of UA’s verbs, plus quite a few other 3rd party verbs. I rarely have a project that doesn’t get a dose of the Chrome
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Head

I'm loving this one. I agree, it's best when used sparingly, but it sounds so good on everything I've used it on. Kind of like butter.
Old 1st May 2019
It's bad when you spent a lot of cash on third party plugins then great stock plugins come along !
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Nut

I just used it for the first time on a vocal/acoustic track and it was really lovely. Easy to shake and sounded very lush. I’m impressed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search