The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro x DAW Software
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

Logic Pro x

So I'm using Logic Pro x and I'm new to the whole music thing , anyways Logic Pro x is honestly amazing I love it , but I noticed it's a type of daw that kind of simplifies everything I feell and there's nothing wrong with that , but for instance I made a beat using the ultrabeat plugin and the beat was pretty cool but at the same time I felt I wouldn't be able to compose a beat like that had I not been using it . So I thought to myself is it really me doing the work or is it just the daw doing the work and I'm just tweeking it .what if I had to go to another producer and work on a project and I can't compose a beat the same way i did on logic just because I didn't have these plugins hence what makes me think am I really doing the work . Is it it really my creativity??
Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it or something I don't know but I would love to hear your guy's opinion on this . I hope this made sense
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Maniac

I actually think this is a good question. "is it me or the DAW?". I've been composing for a long time, and I've learned to use different tools for this very reason - sometimes something will just "happen" in Logic that wouldn't have happened somewhere else, or maybe Ableton or whatever. I've learned to embrace it. Then I often go and mix in a DAW that "feels" more like a mixing environment, such as Pro Tools, which doesn't feel as creative to me but works like a rock for mixing or sound designing.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with doing something in a DAW that ends up being a certain way, where it might have been different somewhere else. But, I do think it's important for you to try to figure out what made it that way so that you can do it (or at least something like it) in a different environment. In other words, keep developing your chops and don't rely on it always coming from the DAW, but allow that sometimes certain things happen in certain environments and that's ok too.

Heck every time I go into a different studio other than my own, my creativity changes - that's just the way it is for me.
Old 13th February 2018
f33
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bamfo View Post
So I'm using Logic Pro x and I'm new to the whole music thing , anyways Logic Pro x is honestly amazing I love it , but I noticed it's a type of daw that kind of simplifies everything I feell and there's nothing wrong with that , but for instance I made a beat using the ultrabeat plugin and the beat was pretty cool but at the same time I felt I wouldn't be able to compose a beat like that had I not been using it . So I thought to myself is it really me doing the work or is it just the daw doing the work and I'm just tweeking it .what if I had to go to another producer and work on a project and I can't compose a beat the same way i did on logic just because I didn't have these plugins hence what makes me think am I really doing the work . Is it it really my creativity??
Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it or something I don't know but I would love to hear your guy's opinion on this . I hope this made sense
if you dont feel like you are doing enough, just write your own drum parts.

take off all the presets(use drag n drop preset in UB) and make your own samples and then use the editor to make your own sequences.

the biggest upside to electronic production is not having to do things one way, but having more options to do it many ways very quickly and easily.

If you want to use a preset beat/loop/synth patch and make a song thats cool. If you want to create it from scratch do that or any combo of the two.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bamfo View Post
Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it or something I don't know but I would love to hear your guy's opinion on this.
Yes, you are thinking too much about this. Period.

If you don't already know this, a lot of very successful songs contain pre-made loops. The perfect example of this is Rihanna's Umbrella, that went on to sell millions and millions of copies and win several awards including a couple Grammy Awards. Guess what. That drum beat you hear? That's an actual Garageband/Logic drum loop: "Vintage Funk 90bpm". I keep hearing newer guys asking this same question, is this cheating? bla bla bla. Just make music. Not one person is going to know (unless you told them of course) OR care whether or not you wrote the drum beat yourself.

Also, you should be happy that you Ultrabeat sparked something in you and you were able to a cool beat with it. That's exactly what's supposed to happen! And that's exactly what separates a good plugin from a bad one. Plugins are supposed to be intuitive and get the job done with the least amount of effort. They're supposed to work for and with you, not against you. Plugins are merely tools to get the ideas you have in your head out and onto an audible medium so that other people can hear the idea you had in your head.

If you really must do everything from scratch, you can do that too. Take one of the EXS24/Ultrabeat/Drum Machine Designer drum kits and program the drum beat in yourself. You can absolutely do that too.

I will end with this: Just worry about writing a good track... that's the only thing you should be thinking about it.
Old 14th February 2018
Here for the gear

That's solid advice from you all and I appreciate the feedback .. I'm gonna take what I heard and go with it and thx again everyone . You guys are all awesome on here take care
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Have fun. Tweak the presets and loops. Repeat and learn. Above all: enjoy it.

It's you it's not the DAW.

There are some excellent tutorials out there so don't feel that you have to figure it out alone. I've been using DAWs for over 20 years and regularly pay for tutorial videos. You'll never stop learning and that's part of the beauty of using this technology.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search