The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Time to move past Snow Leopard (Logic Pro 9) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th October 2017
Gear Head

Time to move past Snow Leopard (Logic Pro 9)

I've been running Logic Pro 9 on Snow Leopard for a long time now, and I think I need to start looking at upgrading the OS. When Mountain Lion came out I heard a few negative stories so I stuck with SL on my Mac Pro. Now SL is getting pretty old, and I have El Capitan on my Internet iMac, so it seems like I should upgrade my OS. I'd like to hear your experiences with ML, Mavericks, Yosemite, etc. What is a good stable OS to use with Logic 9?
Old 13th October 2017
Gear Nut

I agree - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

No other OS comes close to Snow Leopard - till date.
As long as you're running in 64-bit, and have a stable system - don't change it.
Old 13th October 2017
Gear Head

The only reason I'm thinking about upgrading is that SL is getting quite old and I just wonder if a newer OS would work better. But there is no pressing need to upgrade - I could keep using SL for a while now. If I ever get ready to move to LPX then I might feel more of an urgency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunbkk View Post
I agree - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

No other OS comes close to Snow Leopard - till date.
As long as you're running in 64-bit, and have a stable system - don't change it.
Yes, 64-bit and stable. Logic runs great.
Old 13th October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewonders View Post
The only reason I'm thinking about upgrading is that SL is getting quite old and I just wonder if a newer OS would work better. But there is no pressing need to upgrade - I could keep using SL for a while now. If I ever get ready to move to LPX then I might feel more of an urgency.

Yes, 64-bit and stable. Logic runs great.
To be honest, the performance gains are not as significant as you might think.
You are on a slippery slope if you're thinking about 'something that might be better'

If it isn't broke, don't find reasons to fix it!

Snow Leopard is lean and excellent for recording and producing music on Logic Pro 9.

The newer OS's are more about 'Ipadification' and have unnecessary bloatware and are not necessarily optimized for music production.

If your Mac hardware is still operational and supports SL as an OS, then stick with that.
Old 13th October 2017
Lives for gear

Wow, we got some interesting push-back here with what strike
me as some very good points.

Let me just add that I wanted to at least find out if LP9 would be
more efficient than 10.2.4. I don't remember all the details but I do
recall the conclusion.

I was testing both on an i7 4790K hack with 32 GB RAM under
Yosemite. The bottom line was that LP9 gave no better results either
with the "single core peaking on the input track" or overall multi
track performance. I was a bit surprised, but that's what I got.

I could imagine installing SL on another boot disk, but I
wouldn't easily go back to Logic 9 as I find the arbitrary
scattering of functions throughout the menus disturbing.

I don't appreciate Apple's current direction, but I think that
LPX is improved in this and some other areas.

But, @thewonders if you already have El Capitan on your iMac,
why not try LPX 10.3.2 and see how it feels?

Or couldn't you get a small, say 128 GB,
SSD, and cheaply test installing Yosemite with Logic 10.2.4 or
Sierra with Logic 10.3.2 (probably better)?

If you have a big rotary with all the L9 libraries, you can symlink
to reference both those and the new LPX downloads from the boot
SSD, and have both worlds available to try? Couldn't you choose
which one you booted and take your time arriving at your own
conclusions, with no risk if you decide to stick to SL and LP9?

I kind of think Yosemite might be that "next best" plateau, but
I unfortunately find LPX 10.3.2 to better load-spread than 10.2.4.

Last edited by Fernand; 13th October 2017 at 08:50 AM..
Old 13th October 2017
Gear Head

I have spent spare hours in the past twelve months or so experimenting with various combinations of LPX, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks and Mountain Lion, as well as other DAWs, including Reaper, Studio One, Mixbus and DP. For me none of these comes close to being a satisfying replacement for the combination of Logic 9 with Snow Leopard. However, in order to allow me to use a couple of newer softwares, in particular Melodyne 4 and Miroslav Philharmonik 2, I have relucantly settled with Mountain Lion and LP9 on my 2009 iMac. It is a compromise. I have tried to love LPX and the newer Mac OSes, but unfortunately I absolutely loathe them. I still retain LP9 and Snow Leopard on my 2011 MBP.
My long term plan for when my Macs die is to probably move across to Reaper on PC, perhaps with Linux. Just tuppence worth from a former long term Mac fanboy.
Old 13th October 2017
Lives for gear

Wow, this is some serious endorsement. Maybe worth trying.

If you're not concerned with running in tiny memory, and you're
not necessarily reverting to playing oil drums or MPC1000s,
what exactly makes SL superior to e.g. Mountain Lion, or Yosemite?

I could install SL on a little SSD on my 3,1 macPro.
I have an old Leopard 10.5.4 install disk. Where can I get SL?
Old 14th October 2017
Gear Head

Fernand, I guess your last post / question is directed at me...

Perhaps I am a bit old fashioned... I like the clean and clear interface of both Snow Leopard and LP9. And perhaps I am simply adjusted to the quirks in both. It may also be the case that I have not found much that is useful to me in newer softwares and operating systems for composing, recording, arranging, mixing and mastering music.
I particularly dislike visual clutter when I am working, and abandoned Cubase for this very reason when it moved from (as best I can recall) VST32 to SX sometime back in the early 2000s (?).
One of the few useful things I found in El Capitan (or Sierra) is the ability to repair a system drive without having to boot up from an external drive.
Anyway, as soon as I made the decision a little time ago to stick with LP9 I became happy with what I had and got back to the main task of making music!

Oh, and if buying plugins and such, I gravitate towards developers who provide software that is backward compatible to SL and or ML.

Cheers, John S
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks, @beadbrain99. It's a matter perhaps of picking where we settle down to the original purpose -- that as gear sluts we lost sight of a long time ago. So I can fully appreciate your approach.

In my case, after Logic 5 on Win NT was abandoned, I moved to 32 bit Cubendo, and so I never learned the menus in pre-X Logic. I prefer Logic X's more "industry-standard" menus and organization. But I've had to chase the next OS plateau.

Logic 10.3.2 is good. With "theming" hacks to the UI, it looks OK, not too cluttered on a high-rez display.

I've found some usable workarounds to the eternal dread single core peaking on input track, like load-sharing with Reaper64 as a Rewire Slave (that's what the sub-window is), and so I'm trying to get back to making music ;-) Best wishes to y'all LP9 holdouts!

===============

In my travails I ran into something that might be of interest to you. I used it for years on 64 bit Windows 7, e.g. to load multi-gig libraries in 32 bit Cubase.

I just got his mac version that bridges 32 and 64 bit plugins and also provides an AU to VST bridge, which means Logic can use whatever plugins. So far so good.

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridgem/
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewonders View Post
I've been running Logic Pro 9 on Snow Leopard for a long time now, and I think I need to start looking at upgrading the OS. When Mountain Lion came out I heard a few negative stories so I stuck with SL on my Mac Pro. Now SL is getting pretty old, and I have El Capitan on my Internet iMac, so it seems like I should upgrade my OS. I'd like to hear your experiences with ML, Mavericks, Yosemite, etc. What is a good stable OS to use with Logic 9?
Using 9.1.8 here on 10.9.5 Mavericks . 10.6.8 was the best in terms of responsiveness and general feel .
Mavericks is better supported then ML in terms of newest plugins etc...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search