The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How Faulty is Logic X Really?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

How Faulty is Logic X Really?

I've been researching Logic X and it seems like I read nothing but problems and complaints. At this point there's so much negativity about this program that it's shocking a company like Apple would have such a problematic program. Should I stay clear and jump over to ProTools? It's really too bad because I enjoyed using Logic ten years ago.

Thoughts?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Are users having problems with Logic or is Logic having problems with its users? I mean the people who crack the program, the user who's new to the art of recording but had the mere 200$ that it costs to get the program but complain of that ticking sound while recording(eh, do you mean the... metronome?)

FWIW, last time Logic crashed on me, many moons ago, it was because of Korg Wavestation, yes the plugin that hasn't been updated since 2013!!! It's far from perfect but I wouldn't say it has "problems".

Another thing to consider is Logic, for I don't know what reasons, has always been plagued with the idea that it should do "everything" and have "everything". Some of the competing products don't have half of what it offers for three times the price but, hey, Logic sucks because it doesn't have a full fledged sampler.

Yet another thing that seems to plague all DAWs is users who jumpship because DAW X doesn't do X feature the way they think it should be. Since when do a product has to be perfect for everybody? Because it's software and it can do anything your mind come up with? Don't think so. You think YOU know how it should work? Disturbing news for them, not everybody thinks like them or wants to work like them.

The above thoughts should be taken with a grain of salt but you can sleep on it or think about it. Or just say I'm a fanboy because I took the time to learn it, know it well and try to find workarounds to its shortcomings rather than moan like a 12 year-old...

KA

P.S. I think Pro Tools sucks... oh wait I really don't know the program that well, might have something to do with that...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Couldn't agree more with Korg Addict. You get a lot for your money with Logic X.

I've been a long term Logic user and I haven't had any major issues with it. Most issues are user related... I made the switch over to protools 12 quite recently, not because of features (although it has some great additional ones) but because since moving to the US a few years back, I noticed that most sessions I received were in protools already and it was a pain to cross platform every time.

I enjoy running both DAW side by side for different use.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This original post is spam as Logic rates highly on all prongs. CPU usage, included VIs, included EFX, FLEX. It's a super creative tool and a very powerful mixing tool. VCAs anyone? Hundred of buses? Excellent Performance? Even Automation that works on time? Alchemy? Multi-out Drums? It's all there and then some.

The OP is spamming for google hits, clearly.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

edit: erased my response to the idiotic response above me. Anyways...

I've been working in Ableton for years now and want the Logic workflow again. I've been out of the Logic game for years. Been doing some research and seems like a lot of complaints.

Thanks Jonaslondon and KorgAddict

Last edited by Gringo Starr; 1 week ago at 08:45 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
I've been researching Logic X and it seems like I read nothing but problems and complaints
Can you give an example of these problems and complaints?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Double Post
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
Can you give an example of these problems and complaints?
I can't access the page on my iPhone but when I was on my computer I went to Apple to buy the program and the user reviews they had kinda scared me off. Plus my OS isn't compatible at the moment so I didn't really have a choice. Then I talked to a friend of mine who's works in music production and said his friends had some problems with Logic randomly crashing on them.

That's why I came here to ask how faulty it really is. Was wanting to know if these problems are somewhat common.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've been using Logic since the Notator days- I have no issues with it that I can't work around.

I do drop into Protools for Beat Detective when required.
Otherwise I love the workflow.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
If it was that flawed it wouldn't be used professionally, which it is, very widely. Sure, there are some issues, but that is true of every DAW - look at the online complaints about them too. There is always a proportion of people who make a lot of noise about their issues with a program, which can give the impression that there are problems with it, but there is a much larger proportion of people successfully working away, who don't post about how it is working for them.

You can always check out Garage Band, which is really Logic Lite, and see how you like it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
There are some ridiculous answers here. Yes. There are bugs and problems with Logic. These include problems with EXS-24 and Kontakt losing settings. This can happen when reset hardware settings or reloading the Song. Also there are issues with dragging regions depending on the Zoom rate. Is it more buggy then competitors? No. With these complex programs, peoples feedback is based off how they use the program and also 3rd party plug in usage. I have Two Pro mixer friends dealing with multiple Protools crashes a week since version 12 came! Cubase is not immune either. It all depends on which features you use and how you Work! Depending on that the program may in fact be 100% stable for you! Hope this helps.

Jazztone
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm not Apple or Logic fan boy but I'm certain that if you research other DAW's you will find proportionally more negativity.

The stats for people who complain vs people that are happy are staggering, in other words for every person that complains there are a huge number of happy users that do not post about it. It's just simple social science.

I've been using Logic for over 15 years and I can tell you Logic is not faulty and a lot of negative stuff I see out there is user error.

I encourage you to keep researching it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. Very good points.

I enjoyed the flow of Logic before I switched to Ableton and then years slipped by. I finally want to take the time and truly master a DAW as good as I can and be done with it. I'm kinda looking for my final stop and I think Logic is gonna be it.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys. Very good points.

I enjoyed the flow of Logic before I switched to Ableton and then years slipped by. I finally want to take the time and truly master a DAW as good as I can and be done with it. I'm kinda looking for my final stop and I think Logic is gonna be it.

Thanks again everyone.
Very happy that you are not in fact a spammer. If you want some efficiency tips, check out Teemeister's Logic 10.3 CPU Spikes thread. That should help you get up to speed, and interestingly many of the techniques discussed will apply to Live.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can't access the page on my iPhone but when I was on my computer I went to Apple to buy the program and the user reviews they had kinda scared me off. Plus my OS isn't compatible at the moment so I didn't really have a choice. Then I talked to a friend of mine who's works in music production and said his friends had some problems with Logic randomly crashing on them.
Everyone's system is different of course but I can happily report that Logic 10.3.2 is working great on High Sierra (latest beta), no crashes whatsoever. Any crashes would mainly be caused by third party plugin incompatibility, that's not Logic's fault. Also, it seems that generally older newer OSs like Sierra don't play well with Logic 9. Apple recently released a statement that they you're going to upgrade to the High Sierra you will need at least Logic 10.3. so it's not like they're not warning anybody.
Old 1 week ago
Gear doesn't kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I've been using Logic since the Notator days- I have no issues with it that I can't work around.

I do drop into Protools for Beat Detective when required.
Otherwise I love the workflow.
Why do that instead of Flex in Slice mode?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

SluggisH GUI. Sluggish as **** on my latest model imac, fastest machine they sell, max ram, only SSD. Hell, logic 7 on my G5 was twice as snappy!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
SluggisH GUI. Sluggish as **** on my latest model imac, fastest machine they sell, max ram, only SSD. Hell, logic 7 on my G5 was twice as snappy!
I and many other Logic users have noticed GUI improvements in Logic 10.3.2.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
I and many other Logic users have noticed GUI improvements in Logic 10.3.2.
Sure, but it's still sluggish, nothing like it used to be. Opening the mixer with many channels and plugins? Drama. Form over function taken too far by Apple.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Why do that instead of Flex in Slice mode?
I'm faster with PT for this and I've been doing it for a long time.

I've done some multitrack drum editing in Logic before but it doesn't work quite as well for me.
Do you know a way to do it better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esIrPmWKgd0

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@Gringo Starr I think this is a complex subject that has a lot to do with Apple as a very rich company that has not been as supportive of the artist user base as said user base feels entitled to. Why? Because Apple's "cool" factor came from its image as a youthful artsy company with an artsy user base.

Now Apple sells not state of the art hardware at high margin and still it doesn't cater to the high end "pro" user base either. Video rendering for instance cannot be professionally and competitively done on current Apple hardware, because Apple is busy chasing a different demographic: watches, iPhones, iPads, toy macbooks. So there are unhappy people, some jumping ship, others complaining, hoping to be heard. So all these issues rub off on Logic, for psychological reasons.

The program itself, Logic, has been a great program ever since it was Notator in 1988. It's probably the most reliable DAW on the market, and it's practically a give-away considering what's included. Every DAW has programming and designs flaws.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
@Gringo Starr I think this is a complex subject that has a lot to do with Apple as a very rich company that has not been as supportive of the artist user base as said user base feels entitled to. Why? Because Apple's "cool" factor came from its image as a youthful artsy company with an artsy user base.

Now Apple sells not state of the art hardware at high margin and still it doesn't cater to the high end "pro" user base either. Video rendering for instance cannot be professionally and competitively done on current Apple hardware, because Apple is busy chasing a different demographic: watches, iPhones, iPads, toy macbooks. So there are unhappy people, some jumping ship, others complaining, hoping to be heard. So all these issues rub off on Logic, for psychological reasons.

The program itself, Logic, has been a great program ever since it was Notator in 1988. It's probably the most reliable DAW on the market, and it's practically a give-away considering what's included. Every DAW has programming and designs flaws.
Just have to point out: the soon-to-be-released machines will cater to the high-end pro user base.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/29/...re-xeon-w-cpu/
New 18-core Intel Xeon W processors likely to be used in Apple's iMac Pro

"Intel didn't say that the iMac pro would use the chip, but the stars line up: The flagship Xeon W has 18 cores and is due by Q4 2017, and Apple promised that iMac Pros with up to 18 cores would arrive this December.

After the 18-core model, you're looking at Xeon Ws with 14, 10, 8 and fewer cores. The top-of-the-line chip can be boosted to 4.3 GHz if you've got the cooling, while the lesser models can go up to 4.5 GHz. The new CPUs also support up to 512GB of DDR4-2666 ECC RAM and have 48 PCI Express 3.0 lanes, giving you plenty of storage and port options. All told, performance is 38 percent better than the current Xeon E5 generation, Intel says."

As said elsewhere, the 8/16 core/thread processor could be the sweet spot between base clock speed and multicore. However, with 18 cores, Turbo Boost could be a reality @ 4.3 - 4.5GHz.

Attached Thumbnails
How Faulty is Logic X Really?-22576-27483-screen-shot-2017-08-29-184530-l.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wow! If they're that close for new releases of iMacs I might as well wait. Hoping to get an iMac that can kick ass with recording for around 3k.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow! If they're that close for new releases of iMacs I might as well wait. Hoping to get an iMac that can kick ass with recording for around 3k.
I bought a 27" iMac a few months ago- I've not come close to exhausting its capabilities with massive 100 track sessions and loads of plugins.

Computing power hasn't been an issue for a while now.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think there's a mismatch here that's fundamental. I'm sure some people will be happy with the new iMacs. And may Heaven bless them.

But experienced professionals generally opt for "open" standards. The 2009-2012 macPros were well-made, upgradeable (Apple even provided firmware updates), and they have served for many years that way.

Apple has taken a different direction, making more and more closed, soldered down and disposable hardware. Given a majority of ignorant users, who don't know how things work, who can't repair anything and live with throw away gadgets, it's the profitable way. Mac OS has become an instrument of forced obsolescence, locking out their own older hardware to sell the new.

The argument that only this way can they offer highest performance is nulled by today's higher performing standard PCs that much of the video community has migrated to.

It's true that only a minority tweaks high performance engines. Most people are fine with canned loops, MP3 music libraries in iTunes, and Toyotas. But there's a long term problem for Apple, because the most skilled, most creative people that Apple have leveraged for their "cool" image, are not happy with throw away stuff and want the flex and growth potential of more open platforms.

A black plastic mac-mini, even one with 2 multi-core CPUs and a built-in screen, are momentary gadgets I wouldn't spend several thousand dollars on. Been there, done that, mercifully not over $1K. My friend who got a 27" 5k iMac a year ago for over $4k is already feeling queasy now.

Logic is a very fine DAW. But since Logic is tied to Apple, that's an issue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Well, it looks like the new Mac Pros will be modular in design, so Apple is doing something positive there. The problem is we have no idea when they will be delivered -- except that it's not this year.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@onerob can you pls explain about the modularity?

Oh and are there any published or speculated prices?

Since a locked down system has by definition a locked down lifetime, it maybe
comes down to price. If you spend $1k and get 2 years of state of the artness,
and then buy another, it's wasteful, but that's not so painful. If you have to
spend $7k, it's got to be upgradeable for many years and tech cycles to come.

Last edited by Fernand; 1 week ago at 08:57 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

This article from April is a useful source of information. Going by what is said, I'd say the modularity is perhaps more for Apple's benefit than the end user's, although we'll have to see.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

One quote from Phil Schiller is worth noting: "I just want to reiterate our strong commitment there, as well. Both with Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X, there are teams on those software products that are completely dedicated to delivering great pro software to our customers. No foot off the gas there."
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

My friend who got a 27" 5k iMac a year ago for over $4k is already feeling queasy now.
Let me know how much he wants for it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerob View Post
Well, it looks like the new Mac Pros will be modular in design, so Apple is doing something positive there. The problem is we have no idea when they will be delivered -- except that it's not this year.
This is why I bought a 27" iMac.
I just couldn't wait any longer.
I was very close to ditching Apple for my DAW machine and just going with a high spec PC and PTHD.

Quote:
@onerob can you pls explain about the modularity?

Oh and are there any published or speculated prices?

Since a locked down system has by definition a locked down lifetime, it maybe
comes down to price. If you spend $1k and get 2 years of state of the artness,
and then buy another, it's wasteful, but that's not so painful. If you have to
spend $7k, it's got to be upgradeable for many years and tech cycles to come.
Not really- just check out Macrumors website for the latest information.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search