The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic Pro: Hearing audio I'm punching in over while recording. Help please!
Old 29th July 2017
Gear Nut

Logic Pro: Hearing audio I'm punching in over while recording. Help please!

This is weird one that just started for me. When I'm recording over a track or punching in over a track, I hear the material I'm recording over (instead of the way it should "normally" function where it mutes/records over the existing material on the track). So for instance, if I punch in a guitar track, I still hear the previous take as well as the new take. The only way for me to deal with it is to mute the track I'm recording onto (so that I don't hear the previous material).

If I turn ON audio input monitoring, the problem goes away. As I'm recording through a UA Apollo 8, I do not want to use Logic's audio input monitoring because it creates a double monitoring situation with latency (I monitor via the Apollo) and I can't figure out how to fix this. Seems like a few other people had a similar problem over the years when I search the web, but no solution was found.

Any help to alleviate me from this annoyance would be much appreciated.

I'm running Logic Pro X 10.3.1. Thanks kindly in advance for any advice!
Old 30th July 2017
Gear Addict

Did you set your recording prefs to Replace or turn on the Replace button in the Control Bar??
Old 30th July 2017
Lives for gear

You need to turn off Software Monitoring also if you monitor through the Apollo. But I guess it's already off. It's of course a personnal thing if you prefer to do punching in/out, but with the Take comping features, I now record over the darn track when I want to redo something over and "comp it" afterwards. But to each his/her own.

KA
Old 31st July 2017
Gear Nut

It's strange. I have cycled through all the various record modes (Replace / Create new track / Create track alternative, etc) and they all behave the same. I have software monitoring (Audio Input Monitoring) turned off in Logic. But when I record over a track, I'm still hearing the material that I'm recording over while I'm recording the new audio. Once I'm finished recording, I of course hear the new audio and/or it's there for me to comp if it's a track alternative or in the take folder. But it is annoying that I'm hearing the audio that I'm replacing. Been working in Logic for a long time and never had this problem. Maybe a setting got out of whack during the last update?
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Nut

After a long process of elimination I've figured out that this problem is only happening when "Enable Quick Punch" is engaged. If I turn that off, everything works as suspected. I imagine this is a bug in the software? But now as Logic functions the same regardless of if "Enable Quick Punch" is engaged, I'm beginning to wonder if I understand what that selection does in the first place : /.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasker View Post
After a long process of elimination I've figured out that this problem is only happening when "Enable Quick Punch" is engaged. If I turn that off, everything works as suspected. I imagine this is a bug in the software? But now as Logic functions the same regardless of if "Enable Quick Punch" is engaged, I'm beginning to wonder if I understand what that selection does in the first place : /.
Quick punch allows you to punch in and punch out while the project keeps playing, tape recorder style. When combined with Replace, it should be the behavior you seem to be wanting.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Quick punch allows you to punch in and punch out while the project keeps playing, tape recorder style. When combined with Replace, it should be the behavior you seem to be wanting.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Oddly, that's the way Logic has always behaved for me, but something got out of whack and it stopped behaving like that.

Even odder, it's currently only working in the way you describe (which is the way I'd like it to work) when Quick Punch is deactivated. Weird. Maybe I'll try trashing the prefs.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Oddly, that's the way Logic has always behaved for me, but something got out of whack and it stopped behaving like that.

Even odder, it's currently only working in the way you describe (which is the way I'd like it to work) when Quick Punch is deactivated. Weird. Maybe I'll try trashing the prefs.

Are you using the key command for Record/Record toggle or setting record to it?

It works perfectly here. You will of course here the already recorded audio when you are not punching in.
Attached Thumbnails
Logic Pro: Hearing audio I'm punching in over while recording. Help please!-screen-shot-2017-08-01-1.22.45-pm.jpg  
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Are you using the key command for Record/Record toggle or setting record to it?

It works perfectly here. You will of course here the already recorded audio when you are not punching in.
Yea, I'm set up exactly like you are. Trashed the prefs to no avail. It's still giving me the same problem. When I turn quick punch off, it works ok but it doesn't come in and out with the quickness that it should. I'm using "*" to punch in and out and am continuing to hear the audio that I'm attempting to record over.

For example, in the image I'm uploading, I'm hearing the "blue" audio while I'm recording on top of it with the red.
Attached Thumbnails
Logic Pro: Hearing audio I'm punching in over while recording. Help please!-screen-shot-2017-08-01-3.28.51-pm.jpg  
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Addict

Hmm, maybe the drive you are recording to is not a happy camper.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Nut

I've tried about everything in the book. But I'll give that one a go. It's an internal SSD with plenty of room but you never know. Strange thing is this is the only problem I'm having with it. It's fine mixing a 48 track session with lots of plug ins. In any case, thanks for your help. The mystery continues...
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Addict

Good luck.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Nut

Thanks. I'm thinking it must be a setting somewhere that's causing this to happen. Just haven't been able to find it yet!
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Nut

Posting the solution up here in case anyone else has this problem. I trashed everything, even reinstalled Logic and nothing worked until I found this fix on a different board. Seems that Logic updated this setting in my Preferences during an update. In any case, here's the solution (FYI - The setting in Logic 10.3.2 is under Preferences > Audio > General):

i have your answer. it ended up (at least on my friends system that ran across this issue) being in your preferences under the preferences > general> make sure software monitoring is UNchecked.
Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear

This worked perfectly!! Thanks
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Guru

i swear in older versions of Logic it was Called "Tape Machine Style" or am i crazy and it was another DAW ??
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i swear in older versions of Logic it was Called "Tape Machine Style" or am i crazy and it was another DAW ??

I won't speculate on your state of mind, but no, it was never called that in Logic, although I did so in my "Going Pro With Logic Pro" books.
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I won't speculate on your state of mind, but no, it was never called that in Logic, although I did so in my "Going Pro With Logic Pro" books.
thx Jay, maybe thats where i saw it ... i had that book !!! who knows where it is now .. ha ..

or it was Cubase !!
Old 27th August 2019
Here for the gear

None of the above suggestions works for me until I extended the goldish yellow cycle area to the left of the red recording area on the marker bars. That worked.

Last edited by Mixytocin; 27th August 2019 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is weird one that just started for me. When I'm recording over a track or punching in over a track, I hear the material I'm recording over (instead of the way it should "normally" function where it mutes/records over the existing material on the track). So for instance, if I punch in a guitar track, I still hear the previous take as well as the new take. The only way for me to deal with it is to mute the track I'm recording onto (so that I don't hear the previous material).

If I turn ON audio input monitoring, the problem goes away. As I'm recording through a UA Apollo 8, I do not want to use Logic's audio input monitoring because it creates a double monitoring situation with latency (I monitor via the Apollo) and I can't figure out how to fix this. Seems like a few other people had a similar problem over the years when I search the web, but no solution was found.

Any help to alleviate me from this annoyance would be much appreciated.

I'm running Logic Pro X 10.3.1. Thanks kindly in advance for any advice!
I have the same problem and posted about it a few weeks ago. Weird. I have no idea what's causing it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search