The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Element now gives you Direct Monitoring with Logic Pro X 10.3.2
Old 27th July 2017
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Apogee Element now gives you Direct Monitoring with Logic Pro X 10.3.2

My already really nice Element 24 just got even better!
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee Element now gives you Direct Monitoring with Logic Pro X 10.3.2-screen-shot-2017-07-27-6.17.02-am.png  
Old 28th July 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Do you happen to know what this means for using effects when direct monitoring/tracking?
Old 28th July 2017
  #3
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Do you happen to know what this means for using effects when direct monitoring/tracking?
Yes, it means that I can now monitor while tracking with reverb and other fx with no added latency direct in Logic without the Apogee software.
Old 28th July 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Yes, it means that I can now monitor while tracking with reverb and other fx with no added latency direct in Logic without the Apogee software.
Damn... Renewed interest in getting an Element now. Was looking at an Apollo. Thank you for letting me know.
Old 28th July 2017
  #5
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Damn... Renewed interest in getting an Element now. Was looking at an Apollo. Thank you for letting me know.

Just trying it the last hour, it works great!
Old 28th July 2017
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Only the dry signal is latency free. The reverb send still gets the daw latency. Am I right?
Old 28th July 2017
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikolo View Post
Only the dry signal is latency free. The reverb send still gets the daw latency. Am I right?
Direct Monitoring in Logic Pro X Eliminates Latency - Apogee Electronics

Whatever its doing, I now hear what I intend when I am singing.
Old 28th July 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 
m_gant's Avatar
 

This is awesome! Why would anyone not use a Mac with logic and apogee? The integration is unrivaled.
Old 28th July 2017
  #9
Gear Nut
 
thecld's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Direct Monitoring in Logic Pro X Eliminates Latency - Apogee Electronics

Whatever its doing, I now hear what I intend when I am singing.
For real? Could you try this with some latency heavy plugin? Something like linear phase eq or some pitch shifter on high quality settings?

If that's true then this is really neat.
Old 28th July 2017
  #10
GCL
Lives for gear
 

Good news. BTW, MOTU did this 10 years ago with their hardware and DP. Can't remember about the effects.
Old 28th July 2017
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
This is awesome! Why would anyone not use a Mac with logic and apogee? The integration is unrivaled.
Word is that this is a Logic feature that can work in other audio interfaces too if it is supported by the manufacturers.

Can you imagine all the RMEs, Apollos and Scarlets jumping on that with their interfaces and support that? I don't think Avid would be very happy about it.
.
Old 28th July 2017
  #12
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecld View Post
For real? Could you try this with some latency heavy plugin? Something like linear phase eq or some pitch shifter on high quality settings?

If that's true then this is really neat.
I am using a UAD La2a emu on the channel strip and sending to a UAD Lexicon reverb. I just added Logic's Linear Phase EQ to the aux and it is still fine.

And yes, while it is true that only the dry is totally latency free there is not enough latency to be distracting while recording and playback is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee Element now gives you Direct Monitoring with Logic Pro X 10.3.2-screen-shot-2017-07-28-9.49.45-am.jpg  
Old 28th July 2017
  #13
Gear Nut
 
thecld's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
I am using a UAD La2a emu on the channel strip and sending to a UAD Lexicon reverb. I just added Logic's Linear Phase EQ to the aux and it is still fine.

And yes, while it is true that only the dry is totally latency free there is not enough latency to be distracting while recording and playback is fine.
Yeah it's understandable that only the dry is latency free, but as long as it's latency free while being processed with the UAD plugin (or any other) then it's really sweet function.
Old 29th July 2017
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
GrabtharsHammer's Avatar
Doesn't every audio FX plugin on the channel strip - apart from the sends - get bypassed when using direct hardware monitoring?
Old 29th July 2017
  #15
Here for the gear
 

I assume that it s inherent of the nature of the effect. I mean if you get your dry signal latency free and the reverb return with a bit of latency because reverb is only adding reflection and tail afterwards you still get the desired effect.

Not the 100% same signal as if the two signal were at the same latency but good enough for a comfort reverb while tracking.

It wouldn't work for an amp sim for instance as you would only want the wet signal.

Still a good feature from apogee and the direct button integration in logic is sweet.
Old 29th July 2017
  #16
Gear Nut
 
thecld's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer View Post
Doesn't every audio FX plugin on the channel strip - apart from the sends - get bypassed when using direct hardware monitoring?
That's probably how it is unfortunately, but it's still nice that you can monitor your signal directly from the hardware inside logic.
Old 29th July 2017
  #17
Gear Head
 

I think that all you are getting is the convenience of accessing some audio device controls right in the Logic UI. But any low latency audio device and do the same in Logic. The Element is very low latency and so is my Clarett -- they will end up working the same in Logic in terms of the direct monitoring. The key to this is the low latency of thunderbolt on MacOS.
Old 29th July 2017
  #18
Gear Addict
 

Yeah, this is not some magic trick - it's just an interface/shortcut for functions on audio interfaces. Nothing to write home about. (I could tell you what is though, but I'm not gonna)
Old 30th July 2017
  #19
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Here is what I can tell you: before this Logic update (and Apogee firmware and software update) I had to use the Apogee software Direct Monitoring to accomplish this, which was a slight PITA, and now I do not.

I don't care what it does or does not or how it does it, it is a pleasure to use and has made by workflow with Logic and the Element even more pleasant.
Old 30th July 2017
  #20
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Here is what I can tell you: before this Logic update (and Apogee firmware and software update) I had to use the Apogee software Direct Monitoring to accomplish this, which was a slight PITA, and now I do not.

I don't care what it does or does not or how it does it, it is a pleasure to use and has made by workflow with Logic and the Element even more pleasant.
Yeah, It probably saves you a few clicks but basically the same thing.
Old 30th July 2017
  #21
Lives for gear
 
m_gant's Avatar
 

Integration of a software mixer inside the DAW is just logical...you can adjust pres from the Logic mixer as well.
Old 3rd February 2018
  #22
Gear Addict
 
musicalnyc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
Yeah, It probably saves you a few clicks but basically the same thing.
Sure, it's the same architecture, but with a simplified workflow. For me, it saves a few clicks every 10 seconds - that adds up - to a lot of clicks. Apogee is focusing on improving workflow which is way underrated here on gearslutz. Their latest products are to me the most seamless interfaces available - especially on a Mac with Logic. In the user experience relationship between me and my DAW, the interface esentially disappears and all controls are directly integrated into my DAW channel strips or remotely via the great iPad app. I love it.

One thing I have confirmed with Apogee is that the Logic direct monitoring is disabled in multi-unit mode. I learned this the hard way when I added a second Ensemble 2.

Last edited by musicalnyc; 4th February 2018 at 11:20 PM..
Old 27th August 2019
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
I am using a UAD La2a emu on the channel strip and sending to a UAD Lexicon reverb. I just added Logic's Linear Phase EQ to the aux and it is still fine.

And yes, while it is true that only the dry is totally latency free there is not enough latency to be distracting while recording and playback is fine.
Hi Jay. Is the direct monitoring still working after logic pro x update ?

I have the elements 24, and when I turn on the direct monitoring I get the guitar sound without any effects.. which pretty useless.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2019
  #24
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloEspresso View Post
Hi Jay. Is the direct monitoring still working after logic pro x update ?

I have the elements 24, and when I turn on the direct monitoring I get the guitar sound without any effects.. which pretty useless.

Thanks
Are the FX on the channel strip or sending to on a bus?
Old 28th August 2019
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Are the FX on the channel strip or sending to on a bus?
Actually on the channel strip ( but it was working before ).

So move the effects to a bus. Now direct monitoring works but... it sounds slightly different to the channel strip.
Old 28th August 2019
  #26
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloEspresso View Post
Actually on the channel strip ( but it was working before ).

So move the effects to a bus. Now direct monitoring works but... it sounds slightly different to the channel strip.
Funny it works here on the channel strip as well.

I have an audio track using Direct Monitoring with a PSP 85 delay on it and sending to a verb and I hear both.

Maybe something in your Apogee Control snapshot?
Old 28th August 2019
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Funny it works here on the channel strip as well.

I have an audio track using Direct Monitoring with a PSP 85 delay on it and sending to a verb and I hear both.

Maybe something in your Apogee Control snapshot?
Hi Jay and thanks for taking the time to reply me.

This is exactly what I said to the Apogee staff. Direct monitoring worked before even with the channel strip.

I don't know why it stopped working for me overnight. ( May come form logic pro recent update, but can't be sure ).

Would you mind sharing your Apogee Control snapshot ?
Old 28th August 2019
  #28
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloEspresso View Post
Hi Jay and thanks for taking the time to reply me.

This is exactly what I said to the Apogee staff. Direct monitoring worked before even with the channel strip.

I don't know why it stopped working for me overnight. ( May come form logic pro recent update, but can't be sure ).

Would you mind sharing your Apogee Control snapshot ?
I am using 10.4.6. It wasn't working for me in a project, but then I quit Logic and opened a fresh project, and it did
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee Element now gives you Direct Monitoring with Logic Pro X 10.3.2-screen-shot-2019-08-28-1.38.20-pm.jpg  
Old 29th August 2019
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
I am using 10.4.6. It wasn't working for me in a project, but then I quit Logic and opened a fresh project, and it did
Hi Jay, I'll try you setup thanks.

I contacted Apogee support, and they told me direct monitoring was not suppose to work with the channel strip... But it was working before, and it's working for you.

So it means I am not crazy after all

Thanks anyways
Old 23rd September 2019
  #30
Update

So I was finally able to make it work ( I think... ).

You only need to create a bus after applying your audio effects ( any bus, not effects applied ). Turn it on, set it to 0, and then hit direct.

It works for me. I cannot explain how, and why, but it does.

Hope that helps.



P.S. It's such a shame, apogee makes great product, but their support and online video lessons are just plain bad....
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump