The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro X Latency?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Logic Pro X Latency?

Hey everyone.

I'm using a Kemper into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. It's going in via SP/DIF. 44.1KHz. I also have a Line 6 Helix that I'm using via SP/DIF, 48KHz, but also via USB.

I used to get around 12MS of roundtrip latency, now it's 50ms. It's making recording a bit difficult, guitar loops and stuff just aren't in time when I'm looping and tracking.

I've no idea what has happened but could I get some assistance as to what the issue could be. Nothing has really changed as such.

Input monitoring is off. Buffer size is 1024.

I'm using a 2015 MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM. 2.5GHz i7.

Thanks.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepha View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm using a Kemper into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. It's going in via SP/DIF. 44.1KHz. I also have a Line 6 Helix that I'm using via SP/DIF, 48KHz, but also via USB.

I used to get around 12MS of roundtrip latency, now it's 50ms. It's making recording a bit difficult, guitar loops and stuff just aren't in time when I'm looping and tracking.

I've no idea what has happened but could I get some assistance as to what the issue could be. Nothing has really changed as such.

Thanks.
Your buffer size is way to high for recording, go as low as you can without glitching, you should be able to do 128 buffer size, if that works try 64 see what happens...
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Quote:
Hey everyone.

Thanks.
Your buffer size is way to high for recording, go as low as you can without glitching, you should be able to do 128 buffer size, if that works try 64 see what happens...
Thanks for the reply. It seems okay at 64. Latency is much much lower too. I think it's okay, but it was around 12 before on 1024 so I don't know what the issue is.

If I can have a higher buffer rate and lower latency surely that's better, right? So ideally I wanna know what changed. Very strange.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

But, I'm not monitoring through Logic, I'm monitoring through Mix Control and my USB Interface... Surely it shouldn't matter what my buffer size or latency is, right?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But, I'm not monitoring through Logic, I'm monitoring through Mix Control and my USB Interface... Surely it shouldn't matter what my buffer size or latency is, right?
In that case I'd look at your settings for your focusrite driver as this should not be a Logic issue as you are not monitoring through Logic, perhaps turf driver preferences just in case they are corrupt or re-install your drivers!

Make sure you have no high latency plug-ins on your master out of Logic, always record without any...

Last edited by H-Rezz; 3 days ago at 08:10 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
In that case I'd look at your settings for your focusrite driver as this should not be a Logic issue as you are not monitoring through Logic, perhaps turf driver preferences just in case they are corrupt or re-install your drivers!

Make sure you have no high latency plug-ins on your master out of Logic, always record without any...
Thanks, but I don't think it's latency or drivers. I think I know what it is.

There's a setting that basically pre records a few ms so that it compensates for any transient notes that are played at the beginning of recording. It's called Pre Roll. It's in the Preferences section.

That means that at the beginning it pre rolls the recording, but only on the first take. So when I have it set to loop record I'm missing a few ms which is why it seems like I'm missing a bit of the first note/chord. But it's only on certain things I play, which tells me it's probably me.

My timing is very good and on playback I'm dead on the click, but when it comes back round to the start the first bit of the note is gone, which is strange. I'm not sure if it's a processing issue or a bug or me, but I think I'll leave a bar each side when looping to compensate for it.

Unless you or anyone else know of anything?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

It's all perfect when I leave a bar at the beginning of the loop. I think it's just a timing issue. All sorted
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search