The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid HD Thunderbolt with Logic - Latency issues?
Old 13th June 2017
Gear Head

Avid HD Thunderbolt with Logic - Latency issues?

I've just got a HD Thunderbolt and have the latest HD drivers 12.7.1 connected to iMac late 2015 i7 using Logic X , with Burl mothership Digi Card..

But at 32 buffers, I'm seeing a 13.2 ms round trip and 6.5 ms output trip. No plugs loaded.

I'm curious, but isn't this a bit long for this or perhaps I'm missing something (or did the older HD drives 12.6.1 work better I wonder- which I cannot find on Avid)

I'm stumped

Any ideas why this is happening?
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

That's excessively high figure for 32s buffer..
I've never used TB version, but as I recall that from many years ago, when they launched PCIe versions, buffer for Core Audio applications needed to be selected via their Core Audio Manager - a separate program, which is auto launched at the start of system and is hidden in dock.
Not sure, how that interacts with Logic's own buffer length selector.

If there are same buffer lengths at both (Logic and the manager), then there is some chance, the driver reports some bogus latency values to DAW. IIRC whole generic Core Audio driver for those AVID devices was broken before 12.6 for couple of years, so maybe there are still some issues. In that case, I'd try to reach AVID with the question.

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 13th June 2017 at 10:20 AM..
Old 13th June 2017
Gear Head

I'm having trouble finding the Core Audio Manager actually.
I do not see it launch or find it anywhere actually so that's an interesting point you make as I expected to see it also.

Worth a try, if I could find it
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

It was definitely part of standalone driver or Pro Tools.. it was in Applications/AVID or Applications/Utilities.
But as I quickly looked at it, maybe it's further dependent on OS X version or driver and they changed it recently.
Apparently someone has also hard time to find it..
Where is the Avid CoreAudio Manager Installed on Mac? (Pro Tools HD 12.4) - Avid Pro Audio Community

Sorry I don't have the hardware to try it, maybe the others (or folks at DUC) would know that exactly for your driver and OS X versions. But as I previously mentioned, buffer length was necessary to select there.

Michal
Old 13th June 2017
Gear Head

After a short talk with AVID, I have discovered that was once the Core Audio Manager is now known as the "Avid Audio Server Launcher"

So,
For those who find this, for Mac:

Applications--Avid--Avid Audio Server--Avid Audio Server Launcher"

What was Core Audio has changed to this Audio Server Launcher, and is the Hardware Setup manager for HD i/o, clock source, sample rate, buffer size, digital format selection, and external clock output.

This is where you can control the HD Native Thunderbolt.

Now I have changed the buffer which was 256 to 32, and as such, I have a round trip of 2.9 ms and 1.5 output!

I'll take it

Hope this helps someone
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Nice, I'm glad, you found it. This has to be some rather recent change, because it was Core Audio Manager for years.
Anyway, you're up and running now.

Good luck!

Michal
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchless View Post
After a short talk with AVID, I have discovered that was once the Core Audio Manager is now known as the "Avid Audio Server Launcher"

So,
For those who find this, for Mac:

Applications--Avid--Avid Audio Server--Avid Audio Server Launcher"

What was Core Audio has changed to this Audio Server Launcher, and is the Hardware Setup manager for HD i/o, clock source, sample rate, buffer size, digital format selection, and external clock output.

This is where you can control the HD Native Thunderbolt.

Now I have changed the buffer which was 256 to 32, and as such, I have a round trip of 2.9 ms and 1.5 output!

I'll take it

Hope this helps someone
Thank you!
So basically the logic buffer size and the HDN buffer size are two distinct things? Or perhaps I’m missing something.. I’m about to use the same setup with Prism ADA-8XR
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search