The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anything better than Faderport 8 for Logic X? Control Surfaces
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Addict

Anything better than Faderport 8 for Logic X?

I was reading the thread about FaderPort 8 for logic x. Looks like there are occasional problems, but most people are able to resolve them and the unit seems to play nice with logic.

Is there anything better out there?

Eventually I will get console one by softube for controlling plug-ins. But first I want something that will allow me manual control of you, solo, recording stop start, et Cetera. Basically, something to make tracking more tactile and pleasant.

Thank you for any help.
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Addict
Behringer X-Touch - basically a clone of a Mackie Control which is really a "Logic Control". Read the Logic Pro X Control Surface manual about Mackie Control.
Great price, all the features. Plays remarkably well with Logic
Old 7th June 2017
Avid Artist Mix. They have a shift button that will enable transport controls also. I use 2 x avid artist mix + a Logic keyboard (with clearly colorored labels) I use the latter for all other controls (quantizing, transport, loop on/off etc) -> https://www.thomann.de/nl/logickeybo...t_alu_engl.htm
Those are really pricey, but also very clearly labeled and you can load in a custom keycommand set that comes with the keyboard so it is very easy to setup.
I had a Mackie Control Pro + 2 extenders setup, but that was way too bulky and those marker and locator functions I never used.
Attached Thumbnails
Anything better than Faderport 8 for Logic X?-220593.jpg  
Old 7th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
Behringer X-Touch - basically a clone of a Mackie Control which is really a "Logic Control". Read the Logic Pro X Control Surface manual about Mackie Control.
Great price, all the features. Plays remarkably well with Logic
2nd that I've used the X-Touch, Mackie Control Universal, Icon Qcon Pro and Icon Platform M.

X-Touch and the Mackie performed the best, and I'd say the X-Touch might even edge it. I've had rattling faders on the others (when idle). I'm currently using the X-Touch and enjoying it. They are about to release some extenders too.
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Addict

I'm the first to say don't let a brands reputation scare you off...but I'm also the last to actually take that advice.

So my fear/bias against Behringer is out of place here I take it. ::deep breath:: Okay then.
Old 9th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrokentenor View Post
I'm the first to say don't let a brands reputation scare you off...but I'm also the last to actually take that advice.

So my fear/bias against Behringer is out of place here I take it. ::deep breath:: Okay then.
Trust me on this. I dismissed the X-Touch when it was announced and completely forgot about it. I had the Icon Qcon Pro at the time. Which as I mentioned worked fine in practice, but not as advertised. Meters were useless, buttons stuck occasionally, a few faders constantly rattled and it occasionally spazzed out and needed to be power cylcled.

I only sold it because I wanted a smaller controller to partner Console 1 and fit on my desktop. So bought the Platform M when it came out. You can do your own search on gearslutz for how that's going. It kept spazzing out and the midi data going crazy and changing all levels on my mixes, after I'd worked so hard to balance them and again needed power cycling to reset it. Other users have other issues.

So sold that and bought the X-Touch as a last resort. Been flawless. Even better than the Mackie Cintrol, which also had the ratting fader issue (I had it before the Qcon). The only thing you have watch (at least with Logic) is to ensure you power it on before you start Logic, otherwise the midi connectivity doesn't establish properly.

Behringer took their sweet time and built this thing properly.
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Addict

I think I will trust you, Internet Stranger.

Seriously though, I really appreciate it. That's the good ****.

I did just get the Korg NanoKontrol Studio. Seems to have excellent Logic X integration and very smooth operation for about $120, so it fits the bill for now. But I can see myself getting antsy and graduating to the X-Control. If only for the CLIP button so I never have to click that again. What brilliance.
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I was reading the thread about FaderPort 8 for logic x. Looks like there are occasional problems, but most people are able to resolve them and the unit seems to play nice with logic.

Is there anything better out there?

Eventually I will get console one by softube for controlling plug-ins. But first I want something that will allow me manual control of you, solo, recording stop start, et Cetera. Basically, something to make tracking more tactile and pleasant.

Thank you for any help.
I have to second the positive comments about the x-touch. I use the latest Logic X on a Macbook Pro. I've had my x-touch for almost a year now, and I can't speak highly enough about it. I much prefer to have my eyes closed as much as possible, while mixing, and the x-touch allows me to do this, to my heart's content. It was very easy to setup, the build quality is fantastic, and after watching just one YouTube video, I was controlling plugin parameters, such as compressor attack, threshhold, release, and parametric EQ bands (gain, Q, and frequency), etc...
Old 16th June 2017
One other good thing about the X-Touch is the person that does all the official YouTube content uses Logic so demo's are easy to follow, and they do have a comprehensive set of YouTube content covering all the basics with most DAW's I believe, but definitely for Logic.
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Addict

Just got my X-Control up and running and I am absolutely enamored.

The only thing I am missing:

Is there some workaround to give me a manual control to clear the clip alerts on tracks? That is like the last piece of the puzzle. I want to clear out all those annoying clipping alerts without having to grab my mouse. Is this a pipe dream?
Old 2nd August 2017
Gear Addict
bug - not feature

Quote:
Just got my X-Control up and running and I am absolutely enamored.

The only thing I am missing:

Is there some workaround to give me a manual control to clear the clip alerts on tracks? That is like the last piece of the puzzle. I want to clear out all those annoying clipping alerts without having to grab my mouse. Is this a pipe dream?
Not that I know of - bug in Logic - not clearing displays properly.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there some workaround to give me a manual control to clear the clip alerts on tracks?
I don't have an X-Touch so I'm not sure how to implement it (although it's pretty easy to mod control surface implementation) - but you can assign a key command to zero clip indicators...
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
I don't have an X-Touch so I'm not sure how to implement it (although it's pretty easy to mod control surface implementation) - but you can assign a key command to zero clip indicators...
That gives me hope, thank you! I'll search for a way to do that; if you happen to know offhand, I'll give you seventeen Internet Points.

Thanks!
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That gives me hope, thank you! I'll search for a way to do that; if you happen to know offhand, I'll give you seventeen Internet Points.

Thanks!
Ha! No internet points necessary ;-) Assigning a key command is as simple as it gets – just search for "clear clip" in the key commands window (pretty sure that's the right term – I'm not in front of Logic at the moment).

Assigning control surface functions is a little bit more involved, and since I don't have an X-touch I don't know how it's implemented... but you can assign just about any controller pretty easily. You might have to crack the manual a bit though...
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Addict
Not sure if this clears what you want, but...
Press and hold the "control" button and press "Name/Value"" button clears all of the level indicators in Logic. I haven't got a clip light to test, but it's worth a shot.

A full reading of the "Mackie Control" chapter in the Logic Pro X Control Surfaces Support manual is always good for finding interesting things.

Thanks for making me go look ;-)
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

Glad to hear that about the beringer. Does it run in Mackie Universal emulation mode?

A scribble strip LCD is SO important with Logic, as it shuffles fader assignments a lot.
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Addict
The X-Touch is a remarkably well done clone of the MCU. The new extender model behaves like the MC Extender. The switch for SMPTE/BEATS display is used to switch between XCTL (XR18, X32) and MCU, so you have to make that change at the Logic end. If you are only using the X-Touch in Mackie Control mode it might work properly. I use mine with both my XR18 and Logic...Love it. I thought it was a fine deal when I got it for $599. Now it is down to $449 which makes it very much nicer, and price-wise about the same as the Faderport 8.
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

How is the build quality of the Behringer? Are the faders mechanically noisy?

TIA,
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Addict
build quality is decent, nothing flimsy, buttons acceptable. Noisy faders? Not even close to the clacking of a real Mackie Control (awful rattles). Yes, they make sound, but not at all excessive. In the studio I would expect it to last a very long time. On the road? depends on how it is handled.

I really have no complaints about the hardware at all.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
build quality is decent, nothing flimsy, buttons acceptable. Noisy faders? Not even close to the clacking of a real Mackie Control (awful rattles). Yes, they make sound, but not at all excessive. In the studio I would expect it to last a very long time. On the road? depends on how it is handled.

I really have no complaints about the hardware at all.
Thank you. Comments from other users are helpful and welcome.
My uses for it would be entirely in the studio, not on location.

Last edited by Omicron_9; 20th August 2017 at 07:47 PM..
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron_9 View Post
Thank you. Comments from other users are helpful and welcome.
My uses for it would be entirely in the studio, not on location.
I can wholeheartedly echo what facej said. I have had my x-touch for well over a year, and use it everyday. I have found the build quality to be solid, I love the scroll wheel, I love to ability to enable any automation mode with the press of a single button (touch, latch, or write!), and yes, the faders are indeed quieter than the Mackie. I also love the ability to use the upper knobs as fine-tune track volume control, as opposed to only using the faders. Overall, one of the best purchases I've made in the past few years. If you are using Logic, I can't think of any other control surface that integrates as effortlessly as the x-touch. It makes for the perfect centerpiece for someone who works ITB, but wants the tactile control of an OTB setup.

-TKB
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher View Post
I can wholeheartedly echo what facej said. I have had my x-touch for well over a year, and use it everyday. I have found the build quality to be solid, I love the scroll wheel, I love to ability to enable any automation mode with the press of a single button (touch, latch, or write!), and yes, the faders are indeed quieter than the Mackie. I also love the ability to use the upper knobs as fine-tune track volume control, as opposed to only using the faders. Overall, one of the best purchases I've made in the past few years. If you are using Logic, I can't think of any other control surface that integrates as effortlessly as the x-touch. It makes for the perfect centerpiece for someone who works ITB, but wants the tactile control of an OTB setup.

-TKB
Excellent; thank you, KosherButcher. I highly appreciate your review.
Old 27th February 2019
I am a fairly advanced Logic user who used to edit with the mouse. Now, I have X-Touch. Let me tell you, my process is 10x more fun. It makes me feel like I’m driving and in total control vs before. It’s amazing how a few dedicated knobs and buttons can be so impactful on my flow. It makes me feel hyper creative and focused. I only use the mouse for some operations but for tracking, arranging and mixing - X-Touch. Never going back.
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Is it possible to learn the x-touch faders to logic'x smart controls ? or even better any other plugin parameter ?
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Addict
Sort of depends on what you want to "learn". Typically I would use Logic on my Mac to map Smart Controls. Once they are mapped you can place the X-Touch into "Smart Control" control by pressing

SHIFT INST

The display should read SC and the 8 channels/V-pots should map to the Smart Controls...very spiffy.
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sort of depends on what you want to "learn". Typically I would use Logic on my Mac to map Smart Controls. Once they are mapped you can place the X-Touch into "Smart Control" control by pressing

SHIFT INST

The display should read SC and the 8 channels/V-pots should map to the Smart Controls...very spiffy.
is there also a flip mode, so that you can use the fader to control the smart knobs instead of the encoders ?
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Addict
That's what the FLIP button is for. The manual says that pressing FLIP puts the V-pot controls onto the faders. Actually bringing up SC mode and pressing FLIP does exactly what it says it will do.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's what the FLIP button is for.
Thats why I ask if the X-Touch has a flip mode
Thank you
Old 15th March 2019
Here for the gear

I’m also on the fence trying to find a solid expandable control surface for logic. Looking mainly at the x-touch.

Anyone use avid artist mix with good results? How is the setup?

Any other contenders to consider?
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Nut

Will you be able to control something like the Fabfilter eq plugin with the X-Touch?
(Logic)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search