The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anything better than Faderport 8 for Logic X? Control Surfaces
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict
It is difficult to stress how much the X-Touch is "made for Logic". If you're using Logic as your primary I would avoid the PreSonus products, and certainly the Avid products.

Yes - you can control 3rd party plugins with the X-Touch (MCU). Just don't make the mistake of thinking that the EQ button on the X-Touch works with *any* EQ. That is only the Channel EQ and Linear Phase EQ...3rd party EQs are "plugins".

You may be dismayed at how well a hardware controller deals with the dozens and dozens of things that go in to controlling ProEQ3 (or Neutron 2)
Basically all of the "many parameter/many device" rack type things are not at all fun. Use the marvelous GUI which is why we have them anyway ;-)
Old 15th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
It is difficult to stress how much the X-Touch is "made for Logic". If you're using Logic as your primary I would avoid the PreSonus products, and certainly the Avid products.

Yes - you can control 3rd party plugins with the X-Touch (MCU). Just don't make the mistake of thinking that the EQ button on the X-Touch works with *any* EQ. That is only the Channel EQ and Linear Phase EQ...3rd party EQs are "plugins".

You may be dismayed at how well a hardware controller deals with the dozens and dozens of things that go in to controlling ProEQ3 (or Neutron 2)
Basically all of the "many parameter/many device" rack type things are not at all fun. Use the marvelous GUI which is why we have them anyway ;-)
Indeed. Truth be told this is why I'd be tempted to suggest a Raven, even if you keep something else around for playing with faders.
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
Will you be able to control something like the Fabfilter eq plugin with the X-Touch?
(Logic)
The short answer is yes. However, it's not easy, and it's not elegant.

The pots on the top above the faders take different assignments, so you get it into the right mode where it's assigning the pots to the plugin you're on.

Put it this way. It will not give you a mouse free interface. But, when you're looking to dial in, eyes closed, and turning a knob and trusting your ears, it makes that possible.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Maniac
LPX Control Surfaces

Would any one know how well the SSL Nucleus stacks up against the X-Touch just on the control surface side for LPX? Assuming X-touch is the current best..
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head

I just discovered the Nektar Panorama P1 last night and have been reading about it for a few hours. It gets rave reviews by most users and seems worth checking out.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Addict
The Nektar looks nice. Not targeted at Logic. Keeping on task - controller for Logic? "LogicControl" clone is the best idea. X-Touch fits the bill.
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokterrock View Post
I just discovered the Nektar Panorama P1 last night and have been reading about it for a few hours. It gets rave reviews by most users and seems worth checking out.

Faders are non moving.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Head

Presentation: Panorama P4 Logic 10.2 Integration

New control for Logic Pro X

These are some older threads, I would also suggest checking out reviews elsewhere.

I'm not affiliated, don't own one, but honestly other than the non-motorized faders (the P4 and P6 controllers with keyboards have one motorized fader) everything I'm reading in 2019 points to pretty tight integration and easy mapping/programming. I will be purchasing one soon and will be happy to report back. Most intriguing to me is the bank of rotary encoders and touch screen that maps to plugins, especially the EQ and Compressor. That those work really well doesn't seem to be in question.

Only putting this up here because I have been trying to find a good control surface for a while and nothing out there seems to work very well - the Panorama is one of the only pieces that people seem to be really happy with that also has pan encoders and EQ control mapping, which is really what I'm after. And I only just found out about it since it seems to be pretty under the rader - and is cheap AF. Again, I don't own one but it checks a lot of boxes. Carry on!
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

I think I recall seeing someone claim that Panorama were 7 bit. though I would think any panorama with the moving fader would be at 10bit on the fader. I think Mackie MCU tends to be 10bit overall. at least the faders in MCU should be 10bit. and maybe the data pot resolution on MCU doesn't really matter because the protocol is data increment and data decrement with text feedback. though the panorama is potentially far more configurable and customizable. the analog pots on a panorama would be 7bit I suspect but I'm not sure what gives with the data pots. 7bit on analog pots is common.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict
If you want a controller for Logic you should remember that the first controller in the Logic Control Surface manual is the Mackie Control. The most detailed discussion of a controller and how it is integrated with Logic is the Mackie Control. For Logic - anything that is not a Mackie Control pales in usability.

That being said the Behringer X-Touch is a very, very good clone of a Mackie Control at a price that is hard to beat. An X-Touch + Extender runs less that $900 US. The MCU Pro, $1200.

The controller was "made for" Logic.
Old 6th April 2019
Also key is knowing what you want to control. The various controllers out there have strengths and weaknesses. For me it’s mainly about faders, channel; pan, solo, mute and transport control. I use Softube Console 1, so not bothered about plugin control, which none of them in my opinion are more efficient at than a good old mouse. For reference I used:

The original Mackie MCU + Extenders
Nektar Panorama P4
ICON QCon Pro
Icon Platform M
And currently use the Behringer X-Touch + Extender, for the last 2 years and have to agree it’s a pretty good design and well built.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Also key is knowing what you want to control. The various controllers out there have strengths and weaknesses. For me it’s mainly about faders, channel; pan, solo, mute and transport control. I use Softube Console 1, so not bothered about plugin control, which none of them in my opinion are more efficient at than a good old mouse. For reference I used:

The original Mackie MCU + Extenders
Nektar Panorama P4
ICON QCon Pro
Icon Platform M
And currently use the Behringer X-Touch + Extender, for the last 2 years and have to agree it’s a pretty good design and well built.
You're using the X-touch and the Console 1 at the same time? What is the Console 1 doing that the X-Touch can't do?
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
You're using the X-touch and the Console 1 at the same time? What is the Console 1 doing that the X-Touch can't do?
It allows me to have a great channel strip on every channel in my mix, and have hands on control over the strip. You can use the X-Touch to control plugins, but due to differences between plugin layouts and the X-Touch screen and buttons in a mix session it takes too long to figure out what parameters are mapped to what. Plus I love having as much tactile control as possible. Puts the fun back into working in a DAW.
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
It allows me to have a great channel strip on every channel in my mix, and have hands on control over the strip. You can use the X-Touch to control plugins, but due to differences between plugin layouts and the X-Touch screen and buttons in a mix session it takes too long to figure out what parameters are mapped to what. Plus I love having as much tactile control as possible. Puts the fun back into working in a DAW.
Ahh, I misunderstood your other post - you're using the Console 1 + its associated plugins per individual channel and then the X-Touch for the rest of the more global mixer functions?
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
Ahh, I misunderstood your other post - you're using the Console 1 + its associated plugins per individual channel and then the X-Touch for the rest of the more global mixer functions?
Exactly.

I started out with Mackie MCU’s years ago with Logic, and really hate doing music with a mouse (guess I’m still old school in that way). Then as soon as I became aware of Console 1, I wanted it, then when I heard it could also control some UAD plugins as well I was sold.

I’ve tried to set it all up as ergonomic as possible to give me a console like experience. It works pretty well. The last pieces are for Console 1 and Logic Pro to get the deeper integration like Studio 1 and Cubase, and for me to add a summing mixer and I’ll be in heaven.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Addict
I'm learning to use my X-Touch along with Logic Control on my iPad and my iPhone (all connected). I have a second keyboard that sits in front of the X-Touch that has a Logic Pro template sitting on it and can use that as well. Kind of handy. I also connect a Magic Mouse and a Magic Trackpad - lots of options
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Head
I've only recently got an X-touch to use with LPX, but really liking it so far.

I'd definitely recommend spending some time to tweak the CSParameterOrder.plist files so knobs map in an order you find sensible!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search