The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Logic X worth using? Honestly..? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Guru

fwiw, I rarely want to butt ends up to starts for the same sound source. that usually only happens when someone plays legato. any release and attack phases mask one another and any external midi is more prone to collide a note off with a note on. exacerbated, because both note on's and off's are output as note on's. e.g. a note off is a zero value note on. this started when running status for the midi IO was always engaged and could not be disengaged. cursory investigations showed this to even be happening over USB. aka potential source for stuck notes.

that's the pro-case for independence of note on and off quantisation points.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
fwiw, I rarely want to butt ends up to starts for the same sound source. that usually only happens when someone plays legato. any release and attack phases mask one another and any external midi is more prone to collide a note off with a note on. exacerbated, because both note on's and off's are output as note on's. e.g. a note off is a zero value note on. this started when running status for the midi IO was always engaged and could not be disengaged. cursory investigations showed this to even be happening over USB. aka potential source for stuck notes.

that's the pro-case for independence of note on and off quantisation points.
Well stated, Muser, as always.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadein View Post
It's not like linear mode is missing in Live, right? For my part, I haven't found any terrible disadvantages there.
I would really like to see somebody does this live with Logic!
My Lawd! It's just adding layers to a loop. It's a cool way to make a piece of music, or two or three, but, well, not 1000. And you can do this with a $100 looper, don't need a $600 DAW.

To get more interesting, you'd want multiple loops and paths, things you can do with Ableton Live (or Logic) (or Reaper) (or Cubase) with in addition Mobius used as a plugin. Mobius and docs here. Oh, and Mobius is free, open source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z39TIDdXQd8&t=194s

Last edited by Fernand; 30th December 2016 at 08:06 AM..
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValliSoftware View Post
All sequencers, Ableton, Logic, Cubase, Protools do nothing. It's up to the user to research and experiment with each to push what each can do.

You like Ableton, great, more power to you but I stick with Logic because it is a creative tool and it starts with MIDI for me.

One thing I'll point out is, Logic is just one version, not like Cubase, ProTools, Ableton where you have different versions that you'd have to purchase.

With Logic you get everything, maybe you don't want the Apple Loops, which I do since they can get you started with musical ideas as well, but the one thing about Logic that got me going was The Environment.

Here's a video showing some custom Logic Environment macros I created in Logic 9 that still run in Logic Pro X and with the MIDI-FX plug-in's in Logic Pro X, I can get even more creative.

That video shows me tweaking but at any point I can MIDI record and then just refine it even further as another Logic Pro X project.

Again, Logic didn't create these custom Logic Environment macros, I created them.
I can only utilize the environment for some things at a basic level so this example of how it can be used is amazing. I think your assertion about there only being a single version of Logic is a key strength of the software. Over the years they've added to it (Alchemy, Drummer, MidiFX, etc) and subtracted from it (MainStage, Waveburner, LogicExpress, etc.). They don't version it through artificial boundaries like # of tracks or external MIDI integration.

Last edited by zaxmalloy; 3rd January 2017 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: syntax
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
My Lawd! It's just adding layers to a loop. It's a cool way to make a piece of music, or two or three, but, well, not 1000. And you can do this with a $100 looper, don't need a $600 DAW.

To get more interesting, you'd want multiple loops and paths, things you can do with Ableton Live (or Logic) (or Reaper) (or Cubase) with in addition Mobius used as a plugin. Mobius and docs here. Oh, and Mobius is free, open source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z39TIDdXQd8&t=194s
Thanks Fernand, I had no idea! It certainly changes everything.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Fernand, I had no idea! It certainly changes everything.
Now you're just trolling/wiseassing
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
Now you're just trolling/wiseassing
Nope, but that's exactly what you do. You are in ignore. Welcome!
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope, but that's exactly what you do. You are in ignore. Welcome!
/ignorelist
/fadeout

Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Some defensive people around ... but Happy New Year to everyone.

Hey, @ValliSoftware, that's some great Environment construction! Do you publish any of it?
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
Some defensive people around ... but Happy New Year to everyone.

Hey, @ValliSoftware, that's some great Environment construction! Do you publish any of it?
Defensive and 18 years old it would appear.

Happy New Year Dude!
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

This is what kills this forum
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Maniac
These threads are dumb. Either use it or don't.
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendousman8 View Post
These threads are dumb. Either use it or don't.
A big +1.
Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Jumped ship after years of buggy Logic 9 and insufficient updates/lacking features vs competition.
I agree but something happened at Apple and now the development team is on fire with consistent updates. They need a real team of testers but Logic 10.3.1 has amazing features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
For mixing, it pretty much sucks, thanks to an antiquated audio engine that cannot handle cpu load/distribution correctly with modern macpros/mbp.

Note: we're talking medium to large sessions here, 48 tracks up to approx 160, with VI still in the mix, lots of plugins and automation data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
a lot of guys like me who use a bunch of large orchestral libraries have mostly added Vienna Ensemble for either/and on both our main DAW and a slave. It is genius software.
+1 for Vienna Ensemble! It solved my CPU problem. Always rock solid. I use the Pro version, VEP 6.

It's hilarious that I run VEP on the same machine yet still have loads of system CPU leftover without Logic overloads anymore. My setup uses 36 GBs of my 48 GBs of RAM.

I hope this "new" Logic development team will deal with the abysmal CPU usage by 10.3.2 It's not even a "feature", it's a bug fix five years too late.

I learned Real Time Programming in college Comp Sci. C'mon guys! You only have one platform to program for!

I recommend Apple hires the Vienna Symphonic Library development team to teach them Real Time Programming, and their testing team to teach testing.

Last edited by umarekawaru; 22nd March 2017 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: minor edit

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search