The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Logic X worth using? Honestly..? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 26th December 2016
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
But when quantising is applied it shifts both the note On and the note Off - keeping the length the same. That is just replacing one error for another. So what I like to do is to quantise the note Ons and then quantise the note Offs.
Select all the notes in the piano roll that you want to Quantize the ends, then select the following
Is Logic X worth using? Honestly..?-quantizenotelength.png

The following dialog pops up. Make sure to set the ending postion of the note that you want.
The one you'll want to set it at is what's set in the picture (0 0 1 0) which is the size of a single tick.
Is Logic X worth using? Honestly..?-quantizenotelengthsetparameter.png

Click on Operate Only and the ends will be quantized to the next tick.
This is also assuming that you'll quantize the beginning of the note first.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Logic X worth using? Honestly..?-quantizenotelength.png   Is Logic X worth using? Honestly..?-quantizenotelengthsetparameter.png  
Old 26th December 2016
  #32
I mixed a couple hundred songs in logic this year. I got paid. the software worked pretty good.

I hate editing in Logic, but I can make it work. Everything else I like about it.

Learning a different DAW can be maddening. You always come across a situation where you know exactly how to handle it in another DAW but can't figure out how to do it in the new DAW. You have to battle through it.

Lot's of good DAWs out there. Logic is one of them.
Old 26th December 2016
  #33
Gear Maniac
 
fadein's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
Learning a different DAW can be maddening. You always come across a situation where you know exactly how to handle it in another DAW but can't figure out how to do it in the new DAW. You have to battle through it.
Not a case with Ableton, imo. There's virtually nothing to learn there.
Old 26th December 2016
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I ran a session last weekend using LogicX and hated every second using this program.
Maybe it's just me - but I don't think you should be using Logic anymore.
Old 26th December 2016
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
fadein's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Maybe it's just me - but I don't think you should be using Logic anymore.
What a good idea! Down with those outdated products Logic, PT, DP, Cubase etc.
Old 26th December 2016
  #36
Gear Addict
 
Little David's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
How do you do it?
Grab the end of the note in the piano roll and drag.
Old 26th December 2016
  #37
Gear Head
 
logicprose's Avatar
 

The problem with doing the with the transform note length parameter is if you have all different lengths you can quantize the note ends to itself but not to a grid position...
For example below - some notes are short, some are long, some are shorter then others ,etc... yet I will quantize them all to end on the whole number grid....
The only caveat to this - is the front of the note must be quantized too. Notes that start off the grid cannot be ended on the grid if the intent is to select varying length notes and do them all at one time.

Old 26th December 2016
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nny View Post
This is not a sarcastic or biased post, perhaps biased but more so urgent.
My last computer finally died, I replaced it with a 2016 iMac (2.8 GHZ, 8GB).

Before I go purchasing a copy of X, could anyone reassure me that it will run okay? I record minimally so I don't hog a lot of memory in general so with my last computer it didn't take much to run 9. Had its moments but otherwise was alright.

If not, would you *gulp* switch to Ableton or Reason? I am most familiar with Reason & Pro Tools after Logic, but save Pro Tools for when I work in a real studio not my personal space.

Thank you for reading, all opinions-criticisms welcome!
Its a DAW with all the tools you need and the stock plugins are some of the best. It also has bugs like any other DAW out there. If you can`t produce something good with it, then you probably wont be able to in any other DAW either.

For the price of a decent plugin or 2, it`s a no brain`er. Even if you settle with something else, I recommend having it anyway. I use mostly Cubase, but I often find myself doing some sound design or mastering in Logic.
Old 26th December 2016
  #39
Lives for gear
 
frans's Avatar
The problem with Logic isn't Logic itself, because that does the job, some like it, some don't. The problem is Apple and it's politics. If you are okay with that, then go on.
Old 26th December 2016
  #40
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicprose View Post
The problem with doing the with the transform note length parameter is if you have all different lengths you can quantize the note ends to itself but not to a grid position...
If you want many notes to end at the same note position, even if they start at different positions, you need to use the scissors tool. When du you need many notes to end at a specific grid position?
Old 26th December 2016
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Fernand's Avatar
@stratology But the meaningless rant
sucks everybody else into the waste.
Some readers even start to question their sanity.
Old 26th December 2016
  #42
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deondamage View Post
Its a DAW with all the tools you need and the stock plugins are some of the best. It also has bugs like any other DAW out there. If you can`t produce something good with it, then you probably wont be able to in any other DAW either.

For the price of a decent plugin or 2, it`s a no brain`er. Even if you settle with something else, I recommend having it anyway. I use mostly Cubase, but I often find myself doing some sound design or mastering in Logic.

Agreed.

I'm in a similar situation, I use DP as my main DAW for recording, but find Logic invaluable as a practice tool, for putting scratch drums on a compositional idea, etc.
I think some of the VIs alone (Sculpture, Alchemy) are worth the price of LPX.


I find that these days all professional DAWs on the market are quite good, so choosing between Cubase, PT, Logic etc. is mostly a matter of taste and personal preference.
Old 26th December 2016
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadein View Post
What a good idea! Down with those outdated products Logic, PT, DP, Cubase etc.
FYI, the ONLY updates Ableton is doing to Live the past YEARS were for Push... Talk about outdated.
Old 26th December 2016
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Isn't this where you guys should be looking...?
Attached Thumbnails
Is Logic X worth using? Honestly..?-trim.png  
Old 26th December 2016
  #45
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
you can try un-ticking hide unused parameters in (picture #2 in post #31 ) if needs be and then set the transformation to (velocity outside = 1 > 127). the operation should only operate on velocity 0 then. which tends to be what Logic uses as a note off.

The Transformer's are a conditional Logic mechanism so, outside 1 > 127 = 0

I guess another method could be to do as someone said. force legato. then you can apply transformer rules to add or subtract positional % in the transformer. though this can get tricky to handle. or you can have + / - gate time to the part quantise parameters. gate time used to be a little course though. 25% jumps. which can be quite a high figure.
Old 27th December 2016
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Fernand's Avatar
@stratology you're right, it comes down to personal prefs. Logic has a strong aesthetic vibe that I love, like I prefer a beautiful instrument to one of these deliberately trashed "vintage Fenders". Not sure this is the right venue, but why do you prefer DP for tracking?

After years on C-Lab Notator on a 4MB Atari, then Logic on the PC, I found Logic on the mac unacceptable, becoming too convoluted. The menus were like my garage, items were piled on wherever there was room, with many not even reachable. They weren't organized with that very important thing in mind, namely helping a non-virtuoso user quickly find stuff. And unless you're an assembly line worker, say post-prod editing all day, you're not a virtuoso on any specific package.

After years on Cubase I only came back to Logic when I saw Logic X had reorganized the UI. At this point this is all mature technology. All DAWs conform more or less to identical functionality. It's like cars - you don't see a lot of variety in placement of controls. Switching DAWs is only a little confusing. At this point say Cubase and Logic are interchangeable enough on fundamentals that one can flip back and forth. I literally forget sometimes which one I'm clicking on, six of one, half dozen 'the other. I imagine DP is too. So how is DP a better tracker for you?

As to the OP considering Live, Ableton Live was always the odd man out, and only now with Bitwig are we seeing that loop scene concept folding back into ... the fold. I do expect all DAWs to be adding some of that soon. But for the time being anyway, Live is not a mainstream DAW, the OP should realize he would be moving to something else.
Old 27th December 2016
  #47
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
Not sure this is the right venue, but why do you prefer DP for tracking?
First there is the Meter Bridge, that shows me input levels when tracking, and can be scaled big enough so it's visible from the distance.
Then there's the Tracks window, which is a birds eye view of all tracks, great as an overview for the whole project, and to quickly see which in/outs, busses etc. go where.
In terms of workflow, I prefer how managing busses and aux channels is organised in DP. The whole signal flow looks more obvious to me, it's very easy to create a bus called 'comp' that goes to an aux track called 'Bus Comp'.
I like that I can have tracks in a different order in the Sequence and Mixer windows, great for staying organised while mixing.
I like the way I can show/hide any tracks in the Mixer, that I can save mixes independently of projects, I prefer how markers are done in DP, and I like using the Marker window for quick navigation between parts.
I like that I can control (or 2-finger) drag the wiper in the Sequence window to quickly zoom in and out.

So many of the things I prefer are workflow differences. And differences in how easy to figure out something new.


BTW, I started out on an 1040T Atari as well, with MIDI-only Cubase...
Old 27th December 2016
  #48
Gear Maniac
 
fadein's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
FYI, the ONLY updates Ableton is doing to Live the past YEARS were for Push... Talk about outdated.
I wouldn't say so. Plenty of new useful features, instruments, fx, improved engine mm. I know other DAWs well, but for my purposes Live beats them all every time. And in combo with Push/APC 40 Mk2, Live is the most powerful production DAW of this century.
Old 27th December 2016
  #49
Gear Maniac
 
fadein's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
But for the time being anyway, Live is not a mainstream DAW
Depends on what is "mainstream" to you.
Old 27th December 2016
  #50
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadein View Post
Depends on what is "mainstream" to you.
Yup, most big DJs use live and some big producers use live as well. It's all about personal taste. I still feel Cubase is a better all around app and Logic is a better app for making Hip Hop, Urban and EDM tracks. I do Urban in Cubase as well, Logic just does things slightly better when starting from scratch.

I have been getting Live lite for years now but never really learned the basics.
Old 27th December 2016
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Screw Logic.

Just get this, it's sofa king easy with ONE KNOB!!!!!.

Old 27th December 2016
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadein View Post
I wouldn't say so. Plenty of new useful features, instruments, fx, improved engine mm. I know other DAWs well, but for my purposes Live beats them all every time. And in combo with Push/APC 40 Mk2, Live is the most powerful production DAW of this century.
Neh, nothing new about the engine, no new fx, an updated Simpler is all.
The rest of the 'improvements' were for Push.
I agree that Live is a superpowerful DAW, but essentially it's at least just as outdated as you call Logic and the rest, in that it hasn't had a proper update since V9.0 (2013)
Old 27th December 2016
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
fadein's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
Neh, nothing new about the engine, no new fx, an updated Simpler is all.
The rest of the 'improvements' were for Push.
I agree that Live is a superpowerful DAW, but essentially it's at least just as outdated as you call Logic and the rest, in that it hasn't had a proper update since V9.0 (2013)
I disagree.
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/arti...release-notes/
Plus, as a Push user, I appreciate those changes too.
But anyway, there's still a lot of expectations from Ableton, that's true.
Old 27th December 2016
  #54
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValliSoftware View Post
Screw Logic.

Just get this, it's sofa king easy with ONE KNOB!!!!!.

D-D-Dat's totally dope, brotha!! Let's make a new song that sounds exactly the same as everybody else and call ourselves producers!!

Seriously, that must be a bit depressing for real producers of that music style to see advertisements of that kind. Still the same message, music is easy to create and produce.

Makes me think of a magazine who once had on its cover page: "Make one song a day".... What's the point???? Nothing to do with art...

KA
Old 27th December 2016
  #55
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
Hard to quantify effects of workflows coming into conflict with user habits and expectations. studio one was supposed to be one of the simpler more defined workflows but even that is starting to look feature crowded these days. Logic also works in the Grageband mode, which is arguably a simple workflow but it's hard to give guidance about the subject in any general simple way.

whatever DAW you use, you'll always get a bee in your bonnet about some issue or another. usually right at the point where it's important. that's usually when people are willing to ditch everything just to make one thing simple. it can sometimes depend on how critical that one simple thing is.

some people don't want to understand a DAW to a deep level and so are willing to switch. whereas others have already understood the DAW and still find the bottleneck unacceptable. you get both extremes of the poles arguing narrow cases for total change.

sound familiar ?
Old 27th December 2016
  #56
Gear Maniac
 
fadein's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
Hard to quantify effects of workflows coming into conflict with user habits and expectations. studio one was supposed to be one of the simpler more defined workflows but even that is starting to look feature crowded these days. Logic also works in the Grageband mode, which is arguably a simple workflow but it's hard to give guidance about the subject in any general simple way.

whatever DAW you use, you'll always get a bee in your bonnet about some issue or another. usually right at the point where it's important. that's usually when people are willing to ditch everything just to make one thing simple. it can sometimes depend on how critical that one simple thing is.

some people don't want to understand a DAW to a deep level and so are willing to switch. whereas others have already understood the DAW and still find the bottleneck unacceptable. you get both extremes of the poles arguing narrow cases for total change.

sound familiar ?
You highlight an important issue here: understanding of one's workflow. Certainly, confusion is mainly grounded in inability or unwillingness to define one's true goal. On the other hand, it is hard to justify one's opposition to learning new approaches, which are available, and to the necessity of getting rid of garbage, which constrains creativity. What has happened to "trying new things"? Why a clearly laid 21st century inteface frustrates people more than the one stuffed with debris, laid out by generations of programmers years before those users were even born? Why focus is shifted away from actual music making?
Old 27th December 2016
  #57
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
Yup, most big DJs use live and some big producers use live as well. It's all about personal taste. I still feel Cubase is a better all around app and Logic is a better app for making Hip Hop, Urban and EDM tracks. I do Urban in Cubase as well, Logic just does things slightly better when starting from scratch.

I have been getting Live lite for years now but never really learned the basics.
Many of the big producers use a combination of Logic & Ableton, and interestingly Ableton more as the instrument and Logic for Mixing.

Logic does have great routing & MIDI, and if you add a third into the fold like RX5 -- which I have been researching in the past few days (since someone mentioned Apple acquiring them, wishful thinking but who knows) -- you could really be all set.

RX5 "magically" does clean up much of you audio. Radius RT seems good. Edits are simple. This is the one area both Logic & Ableton are not up to the likes of Adobe Audition Standards (particularly from the good old days when it was Cool Edit Pro,) and it would appear RX5 has captured this sliver quite well.

I own Iris 2 and there's a lot of the Spectral, Audio Editing, Radius RT tech built in so I already own a Jr Version -- and since we all have Alchemy -- I have to say I use Iris 2 Stand alone more for this purpose than as a synth. I can use Ozone Standalone too, and you can pick up the audio restoration tools up for less than $100 now. It's the main Suite that's still pricey.

Bottom line: Logic is awesome, Ableton is awesome, they both have their own respective and collective legacy issues, but they ain't going anywhere soon and users love to bash them. Just check out the Ableton Room, just like you can check out any of the rooms. LOL my first post on here was about people always bitching and moaning about Logic, but I think there's a certain mindset among users of any platform to do so. DP included with their recent releases, and they've traditionally been the land of "Shiny Happy People."
Old 27th December 2016
  #58
Gear Maniac
 
fadein's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
Many of the big producers use a combination of Logic & Ableton, and interestingly Ableton more as the instrument and Logic for Mixing.

Logic does have great routing & MIDI, and if you add a third into the fold like RX5 -- which I have been researching in the past few days (since someone mentioned Apple acquiring them, wishful thinking but who knows) -- you could really be all set.

RX5 "magically" does clean up much of you audio. Radius RT seems good. Edits are simple. This is the one area both Logic & Ableton are not up to the likes of Adobe Audition Standards (particularly from the good old days when it was Cool Edit Pro,) and it would appear RX5 has captured this sliver quite well.

I own Iris 2 and there's a lot of the Spectral, Audio Editing, Radius RT tech built in so I already own a Jr Version -- and since we all have Alchemy -- I have to say I use Iris 2 Stand alone more for this purpose than as a synth. I can use Ozone Standalone too, and you can pick up the audio restoration tools up for less than $100 now. It's the main Suite that's still pricey.

Bottom line: Logic is awesome, Ableton is awesome, they both have their own respective and collective legacy issues, but they ain't going anywhere soon and users love to bash them. Just check out the Ableton Room, just like you can check out any of the rooms. LOL my first post on here was about people always bitching and moaning about Logic, but I think there's a certain mindset among users of any platform to do so. DP included with their recent releases, and they've traditionally been the land of "Shiny Happy People."
Ableton doesn't have "collective legacy issues". RX5 is brilliant, but it doesn't require a host. When there's a talk about DAW, it is usually about making music, not about restoration or mastering. Logic simply is not a modern tool. I own a copy of it still, but there's no use to it, there's simply nothing it can contribute to the music-making process more than Live can. Yes, very cool custom icons etc and some nostalgia touch, but no practical value.
Old 27th December 2016
  #59
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadein View Post
You highlight an important issue here: understanding of one's workflow. Certainly, confusion is mainly grounded in inability or unwillingness to define one's true goal. On the other hand, it is hard to justify one's opposition to learning new approaches, which are available, and to the necessity of getting rid of garbage, which constrains creativity. What has happened to "trying new things"? Why a clearly laid 21st century interface frustrates people more than the one stuffed with debris, laid out by generations of programmers years before those users were even born? Why focus is shifted away from actual music making?
DAW's certainly have efficiency in numerous ways, but there's a point where the sheer amount of those creates it's own avalanche of complexity. as you cut your way into a DAW it starts generating dependencies. a users familiarity then depends on the expectations associated with those dependencies.

I think the main reason that studio one became a viable contender must have been that, the very first release was so simple. because it was just designed as a recorder add on to their digital desk. the popularity of the desk and love of that simplicity generated enough requests for it to turn into a viable DAW in its own right.

the paradox is that the initial simplicity is now probably lost and the DAW demons of complexity are in play in that version. This made me just check and I just found that PreSonus have just released a Desk with the software integrated into it. so they now have a Desk which also has a multitrack recorder. cool. that means the others Desk manufacturers will have to start to address that too.
Old 27th December 2016
  #60
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadein View Post
Ableton doesn't have "collective legacy issues". RX5 is brilliant, but it doesn't require a host. When there's a talk about DAW, it is usually about making music, not about restoration or mastering. Logic simply is not a modern tool. I own a copy of it still, but there's no use to it, there's simply nothing it can contribute to the music-making process more than Live can. Yes, very cool custom icons etc and some nostalgia touch, but no practical value.
Logic is hands down one of the best daws available. Not taking anything away from Ableton Live, but I could never get into it. I do feel that it's all about workflow.

I'm extremely happy with linear based daws, my style of music fits right in. If anything why would NI not include a Kontakt style tempo lock in Maschine?

It probably my biggest issue with any daw ATM. I don't see Logic or Live holding anyone back.

Logic X has been an absolute joy to use! The newest update is hard to beat from where I am, I'm currently forcing myself to use Cubase and Maschine!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump