The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic Drummer Mapping to external kits. Information Only
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

Logic Drummer Mapping to external kits. Information Only

To get Logic Drummer to play other drum kits preperly, it turns out that you just have to make sure you associate the correct mapped drum piece from Logic Drummer to the other drum kit you want to play.

Regarding articulationIDs that Logic Drummer produces, after some testing I only saw the following drum pieces that Logic Drummer used articulationIDs on.

39 // D#1 - clap
Only used articulationID 1

42 // F#1 - closed hi-hat
44 // G#1 - pedal hi-hat
46 // A#1 - open hi-hat
These 3 drum pieces used articulationIDs 1,2,3,4 and 5 and you can control this as well.
When the "Automatic" check box is un-checked under the Hi-Hat knob in Details, moving from Closed to Open generates the 1 to 5 articulationID values.
If Automatic is checked, Logic will produce these values, mostly based on what you told it to follow as well as the x-y pad to control Soft/Loud/Simple/Complex.

54 // f#2 - tamborine
Used articulationIDs 1,2 and 3

70 // a#3 - Maracas (Shaker)
Used articulationIDs 1,2 and 3

If you watch this video (https://vimeo.com/185921888) you'll notice that in the Event List you see the pitch and articulationIDs that was set but in the output of the default scripter object which does a Trace() of incoming data, while the articulationID from the Event list is the same as the Trace() output, notice that the pitch changed and you can hear the change as well.

So the Event had F#1 (closed hi-hat) with an articulationID of 5 but what Logic did was translate that to A#1 (open hi-hat) but the articulationID is still 5. This is important to note since it would have made scripting code a little confusing.
But now it's even easier since now you don't need to worry about any translation on the articulationID, Logic already does that for you by giving you a correct pitch value.
Now you just have to make sure the mapping from Logic Drummer is setup correctly for the drum kit you want Logic Drummer to play.

I currently have Addictive Drums 2, EZDrummer 2 and Superior Drummer 2, plus all the GM drum kits in Logic.
So I was able to map properly with these kits but here's some other issues that came about that has nothing to do with Logic Drummer or the mapping.

Issue with AD2 kits.

Certian kits load a cowbell or a tamborine but depending on the kit, they'll use Flexi 1 for this.
In addition, clavas is thier but needs to be loaded in Flexi 1, Flexi 2 or Flexi 3 so that means you have to set Flexi 1, Flexi 2 and Flexi 3 up the same way on all your kits otherwise you'll have to create mappings for every kit you own in AD2.

Next issue is Maracas (Shaker) doesn't exists and Logic Drummer allows you to use that.

One thing to keep in mind though, cowbell and clavas don't get generated by Logic Drummer so you don't need to worry about setting these values if Logic Drummer is what you only use to play AD2.

Non-issue with EZD2.

There is no clavas and to use a cowbell, you'd have to switch out the clap and load the cowbell.

This is a non-issue since Logic Drummer doesn't generate clavas and it's up to you to decide if you want either a clap or cowbell on the EZD2 side.

Issue with SD2.

cowbell, clap, tamborine, Maracas (Shaker) and clavas don't exists in SD2 except N.Y. Avatar, that has cowbell.

Now if you own Claustrophobic EZX, you can use the X-Drum of SD2 to add the missing drum pieces, map the note numbers in SD2 and update your scripter object to reflect those changes.

One last thing to note, you have way more variations of drum pieces (several cymbals, snares, etc...) in each kit, so at some point you can, even though you map to one snare, you might like to switch between any number of snares available in each of the mentioned drum kits. That's your preference but you'll need to update your scripter object to reflect that.

Hope this information is helpful.
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

Pretty sweet research you've done! Thanks for this, and it helps overall with the mechanics as the topic is not discussed in too much depth in any one place I've found thus far, but rather piecemeal.

Symphonic instruments is another story altogether in that it's very saturated, heavily commercialized by several vendors at that.
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

Mapping Scripter Object

So with all that information in mind, here's I approached in creating a Logic Drummer To External Drum Mapper Scripter object.

You'll notice that Addictive Drums had a lot of remapping to do.

For EZDrummer 2, the current PDF manual didn't have tamborine, shaker or clap defined, had to monitor for that.
Attached Files
Old 8th October 2016
Gear Nut

Thank you!
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by assessor View Post
Thank you!
No problem.
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Head
This is awesome, well done!

Does anyone have a script that goes the other way? And allows you to drop Toontrack midi (for example) and play it through logic drums?
Old 8th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreeper View Post
This is awesome, well done!

Does anyone have a script that goes the other way? And allows you to drop Toontrack midi (for example) and play it through logic drums?
Thanks for asking this. I, too, am wondering if anyone else has done this.

I have found sometimes it's easier for me to find the beats I'm looking for in EZD2, but I'd like to drop that midi into one of the Logic producer kits.

I hope someone comes along with a scripter for this.
Old 9th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill1 View Post
have found sometimes it's easier for me to find the beats I'm looking for in EZD2, but I'd like to drop that midi into one of the Logic producer kits.
Another user suggested EZPlayer Pro, which I have and tested and it works.
MIDI map for EZDrummer 2 MIDI to be used with Drum Kit Designer kits?
Old 21st November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValliSoftware View Post
Another user suggested EZPlayer Pro, which I have and tested and it works.
MIDI map for EZDrummer 2 MIDI to be used with Drum Kit Designer kits?
THANK you !!!!
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Awesome stuff, guys.

Bless you for sharing!

Craig
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

I finally got around to trying something similar, reminded by a Youtube vid I came across. I used Logic's scripter for the Drummer via MIDI Effects. It works great for MIDI in. I can use my custom finger drum mapping successfully.

Unfortunately this disturbs the internal mapping causing all of the Drummer's grooves to play incorrectly. Do these address the internal mapping?

Ultimately I'm looking to accomplish 2 things:
1. Remap the Logic Drummer to my custom map for finger drumming.
2. Use the Logic Drummer's grooves to trigger 3rd party drum plugins using that same custom map.

I'm hoping you can confirm this will do the job before I go through the motions.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search