The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one
View Poll Results: Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one
Auto-color options on markers/ tracks/takes which is ON by default
22 Votes - 27.50%
Simplify the interface of the spaceship looking
9 Votes - 11.25%
A full screen mode where sidebars pops up when the mouse touches the edge of the screen
6 Votes - 7.50%
Improvements for using Logic on laptops/small monitors
13 Votes - 16.25%
The Screen Set feature should work in full screen mode
13 Votes - 16.25%
Make the color palette customisable
35 Votes - 43.75%
Transparent audio regions (see grid through regions)
25 Votes - 31.25%
A single key command that hides/shows everything (editor areas etc) but the main Arrange area
13 Votes - 16.25%
Split view mode for List/Media/Notes allowing one list to be shown on top of the other
3 Votes - 3.75%
The ability to see track notes in Arrange
13 Votes - 16.25%
Sends with a slider option, not only rotaries
9 Votes - 11.25%
A contrast/brightness preference setting
20 Votes - 25.00%
Tool Bar visibility option also when the Control Bar is hidden
4 Votes - 5.00%
Less confusing track naming
22 Votes - 27.50%
Improve EXS, add Redmatica stuff
36 Votes - 45.00%
Logic/iTunes could do something a la what Studio One does with Nimbit
5 Votes - 6.25%
Track Stack nesting
18 Votes - 22.50%
The ability to have multiple camera/video tracks
8 Votes - 10.00%
“Save selected tracks as new project”
16 Votes - 20.00%
Save audible project preview (MP3 or similar) in project file
6 Votes - 7.50%
Ability to mark presets as favorites
15 Votes - 18.75%
Positive and negative delay as a track parameter
11 Votes - 13.75%
Chord detection/recognition for both MIDI audio
15 Votes - 18.75%
Nondestructive region-based audio-units
29 Votes - 36.25%
Instead of Prefs and Proj. Settings, define if a setting should be used for all projects or not
17 Votes - 21.25%
An option for multiple, parallel times lines/Chunks/Cues/Tabs in Arrange or similar
7 Votes - 8.75%
Option to save multiple mixes (plugins, autom., etc) within one alternative
16 Votes - 20.00%
Make Smart Controls a lot smarter
18 Votes - 22.50%
Focus on features which are useful for making better music, not just better mixes
9 Votes - 11.25%
General score/MIDI/composing improvements (see part two of this poll)
11 Votes - 13.75%
Do NOT mess around with - or remove - stuff that's functioning well.
22 Votes - 27.50%
Focus on improving or adding stuff that one can not get via 3rd part plugins
6 Votes - 7.50%
Hire more debuggers. Logic is often shipped with too many bugs
20 Votes - 25.00%
Hire more coders. Logic needs more frequent major updates
17 Votes - 21.25%
Polyphonic audio editing
16 Votes - 20.00%
A proper overdub function for audio (for live looping)
6 Votes - 7.50%
More buses
6 Votes - 7.50%
Spectral/3D editing that lets you edit specific frequencies in a specific time position
11 Votes - 13.75%
Full 32-bit audio file support/bounces
16 Votes - 20.00%
Phase-aligning of multiple tracks like Waves InPhase
13 Votes - 16.25%
Improve Flex Time/Better quality when time-stretching
32 Votes - 40.00%
The scissor tool should optionally snap to transients when editing audio regions.
17 Votes - 21.25%
Scrub should maintain pitch of the track
6 Votes - 7.50%
Marquee: add an option to snap to transient
15 Votes - 18.75%
Built-in Vocalign behaviour
19 Votes - 23.75%
VariAudio like in Nuendo
4 Votes - 5.00%
A “Commit Flex” button
20 Votes - 25.00%
A menu on each audio track that lets us switch between Flextime, Melodyne and Izotope Rx
7 Votes - 8.75%
One should be able to grab/move/copy audio slices* instantly
8 Votes - 10.00%
Flex: Ability to use Flex Pitch and Flex time on the same region.
20 Votes - 25.00%
Flex/Fill Gaps should use stretching instead of looping. See ReCycle/Reaper AutoPocket
9 Votes - 11.25%
Add FCP X audio editing features
9 Votes - 11.25%
Add features from Soundtrack Pro
11 Votes - 13.75%
Ability to move channel strips in the Mixer
48 Votes - 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th February 2016
Lives for gear

Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one

Here's a multiple choice poll about your Logic wishes. There are several threads about this already, and of course your wish may not be on the list – but you can add a post in the thread and people can use the Like function.

ETA: "Simplify the interface of the spaceship looking" in the list above should have been "Simplify the interface of the spaceship looking plugins".

Part two of the poll, which is about MIDI/score features, is here:
Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part two

Part three is here:
Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part THREE

Last edited by nativeaudio; 31st March 2016 at 07:22 AM..
Old 26th February 2016
Lives for gear

I realise it's not high on your personal list, NativeAudio, but my number one request is the incorporation of a workflow based on GB for the iPad's Live Loops. In essence, if they do incorporate such multidimensional scenes, the DAW will enter the field with Ableton & Bigwig for mixing and matching loops / clips for music creation in several genres.

I do use Ableton quite a bit, but I am not crazy about audio-only rewire. Bitwig requires Jack for such connectivity, and I don't even want to go there. However, their Arrangers aren't close to Logic's in my opinion.

Having such a nonlinear workflow built directly into Apple's DAW has the potential to raise more than a few eyebrows in music production community. MainStage potentially would get a shot in the arm as Dj'ng could be a very tangible side benefit, similar to Live. Also, mixing with different scenes & Clips is certainly not limited to dance music.

Session View is what helped to make Ableton #1 in the world in several mainstream polls last year; 9.5 solidified Live's positioning. Apple is a HW company, after all, so who knows -- a proprietary Push-like controller would certainly be a welcomed addition.
Old 26th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
I realise it's not high on your personal list, NativeAudio, but my number one request is the incorporation of a workflow based on GB for the iPad's Live Loops.
I'll wait with posting part three of this poll until more suggestions have been posted about what those who read this think should be prioritised in that poll. Will certainly put in your suggestion there, and if suggestions a a good wording (shorter than 100 characters) for your suggestions, you make it easier for me to put them into the next poll. We have thousands of posts in the Logic 10 and Logic 11 threads about wishes which haven't been implemented, and many of the score/MIDI suggestions go back to 2008-2009... there's obviously not room for all this in the polls. But all specific suggestions, will be closely looked at before I post the next poll.

Last edited by nativeaudio; 27th February 2016 at 09:45 AM..
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Some good ideas in the list. Other things I don't understand. "Marquee: add option to snap to transients", it already does that. What do you(or the person who brought this up) means by that?

KA
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
"Marquee: add option to snap to transients", it already does that. What do you(or the person who brought this up) means by that?

KA
If you move the mouse, with the Marquee Tool, over a region, the mouse snaps to the bar lines in the grid, whenever it sees one. It doesn't snap to the transients in the audio file (unless they already are located at the bar lines... in which case they still snap to the bar lines!).
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

This one may also need some explanation:
"One should be able to grab/move/copy audio slices* instantly"

First of all, by "slice" I mean the area between two transients (in an audio file that has been detected for transients).
The limit for each suggestion in the GS poll list is 100 characters... the original text was "Flex: Slices (area between transients) should behave as MIDI events. One should be able to grab/move/copy them instantly".

This is a suggestion about an extra, alternative editing mode, which would be perfect for many audio editing situations, and implies that that you can edit a drum or vocal track without needing to separate each word or drum hit first (which is cumbersome when using a mouse anyway, see the above post): if you have a good version of a word in bar 9 which you want to use in bar 25, you just grab it like you would have done with a MIDI even t in the Piano Toll, and move it to wherever you want it.

Last edited by nativeaudio; 27th February 2016 at 11:13 AM..
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
I'll wait with posting part three of this poll until more suggestions have been posted about what those who read this think should be prioritised in that poll. Will certainly put in your suggestion there, and if suggestions a a good wording (shorter than 100 characters) for your suggestions, you make it easier for me to put them into the next poll. We have thousands of posts in the Logic 10 and Logic 11 threads about wishes which haven't been implemented, and many of the score/MIDI suggestions go back to 2008-2009... there's obviously not room for all this in the polls. But all specific suggestions, will be closely looked at before I post the next poll.
Just take the first sentence from my post: "My number one request is the incorporation of a workflow based on GB for the iPad's Live Loops."

I believe that is very clear, succinct, and concise. Apple created Live Loops for GB so they already know what it is / what the tangible benefits are. The feature has been discussed in the mainstream press (including the Wall Street Journal) such that this really isn't an esoteric request.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you move the mouse, with the Marquee Tool, over a region, the mouse snaps to the bar lines in the grid, whenever it sees one. It doesn't snap to the transients in the audio file (unless they already are located at the bar lines... in which case they still snap to the bar lines!).
Ah ok, with the mouse. But moving the Marquee with the right/left arrows snaps to the transiants, so what's the point/difference of using the mouse vs the arrows to snap to transiants?

KA
Old 27th February 2016
Gear Nut

My concern with the MP3 preview would be how does that work? Does it make an offline bounce when you save a project? Because if so, what if you've got projects that are rather large and can take several minutes to offline bounce? Every time you save you've got to wait for the bounce. Even if it only does it when you close, you've still got to wait all that time to close before you can move on to the next.
Old 27th February 2016
Gear Addict

I don't think this poll is very well thought out.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeren View Post
My concern with the MP3 preview would be how does that work? Does it make an offline bounce when you save a project?
I think GarageBand has this option, but not as something you have to do, so I guess you simple would disable that option in the situation you describe?
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Oh my word! Why in 2016 can we still not transpose audio regions? For creative music production, this is absolutely essential. In Cubase, I can take any sample and manipulate the pitch in seconds, creating melodies from single pitch samples. The technology is there already, even if the algorithms aren't the best. This feature and the lack of a proper sample browser are the only things stopping me from using Logic 100% of the time.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Actually, one more essential feature which most of the other DAWs have is the ability to disable instrument tracks and unload samples from RAM. When using big Orchestral libraries, this is a necessity....
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllTrades View Post
Oh my word! Why in 2016 can we still not transpose audio regions?
I'll gladly add "transpose audio regions" to the list of what's going to be in part 3 of this poll, but it needs a different wording, because Logic can both transpose audio regions already, in Arrange, and also do something much more advanced: you can create melodies and even fine tune each syllable and more without separating that syllable into a separate region (or transpose the whole region by selecting all slices in that region first). This is part of the Flex Pitch feature inn Logic, a feature I know many Cubase users want.
Attached Thumbnails
Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-screen-shot-2016-02-28-09.57.03.png  
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, one more essential feature which most of the other DAWs have is the ability to disable instrument tracks and unload samples from RAM. When using big Orchestral libraries, this is a necessity....
I totally agree (and it's already on the list I posted about part three of this poll.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
I don't think this poll is very well thought out.
Hi arctic audio! I'm sorry to hear that. It took a lot of hours reading through thousands (!) of tons from former Logic wish list threads to come up with a list I thought was a good starting point.

Part one of the poll originally had 80+ wishes, part two had 17 MIDI wishes and a very small amount of score wishes. Then I thought (and still think) I got a very good idea. I happen to have access to the results of a former poll about Logic score wishes, a poll which certainly was well thought out, and which contained votes from maybe 100 or 200 score users. This poll isn't running anymore, but since I know the results (and since Apple hasn't implemented almost any of the wishes from that thread), I took the most popular suggestions from the results of that former score poll and added to the MIDI/Score poll. So if you look at that poll, it already contains a lot of wishes which already are prioritised by earlier voters.

Again: Part one originally contained 80+ wishes, but then I got another idea which I still think is good. Based on earlier polls here, there will always be someone who asks why (some of) their favourite wishes aren't in the poll. So I decided to change two things (compared with earlier Logic polls here on GS): 1) This is not a Logic 11 poll, it's a general poll not related to only the next version, and 2) instead of creating new, separate polls for each upcoming major version, I'll just add new polls (part three, part four etc) with wishes from posters in this threads.

Regarding not having separate polls for Logic 11, Logic 12 etc, that's IMO a particularly good idea for things which are related to score/composing, because - looking at the old score/composing poll on logicprohelp.com, it is mainly generated by wishes posted around 2008/2009, and after circa 7 years, almost none of these have been implemented. If this continuities, part two of this poll will just become more and more relevant over the years, because it will get some extra votes each years and therefore be more accurate in terms of showing what users want.

Since I can't divide poll in sections, I think having a long list with as many as 80 wishes would be a bad idea anyway, which was another reason to divide the poll in several parts.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah ok, with the mouse. But moving the Marquee with the right/left arrows snaps to the transiants, so what's the point/difference of using the mouse vs the arrows to snap to transiants?

KA
Well, most things that can be done in Logic can be done in more than one way, and I don't see why this should be an exception.

If a user is in the mids of editing something with a mouse, and want to mark a selection with the Marquee tool, it the most workflow friendly solution is IMO to allow the user to make his desired Marquee selection with the mouse also, without being limited to a snap function which only can see bar/beat lines. When working with audio/Flex, and especially when recording something without a metronome, being able to easily select "slices" is often much more relevant than selecting something by the bar/beat grid anyway.

Btw, here's another thing I'd like to see in Logic, suggestion by a user on this forum a couple of years ago:

Logic 11 - what do you want?

( and https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10147528-post150.html)

It could be the most efficient way to adress latency issues in native systems.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, most things that can be done in Logic can be done in more than one way, and I don't see why this should be an exception.

If a user is in the mids of editing something with a mouse, and want to mark a selection with the Marquee tool, it the most workflow friendly solution is IMO to allow the user to make his desired Marquee selection with the mouse also, without being limited to a snap function which only can see bar/beat lines. When working with audio/Flex, and especially when recording something without a metronome, being able to easily select "slices" is often much more relevant than selecting something by the bar/beat grid anyway.

Btw, here's another thing I'd like to see in Logic, suggestion by a user on this forum a couple of years ago:

Logic 11 - what do you want?

( and https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10147528-post150.html)

It could be the most efficient way to adress latency issues in native systems.
It's not a bad idea but it would need a modifier key or something because what happens if you want to select a fixed area that falls on the grid with the marquee based on your snap setting but your transients don't fall on the area you want to select?

KA
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not a bad idea but it would need a modifier key or something because what happens if you want to select a fixed area that falls on the grid with the marquee based on your snap setting but your transients don't fall on the area you want to select?

KA
In my imagination it could possibly work if it snapped to both transients and grid, but only to one of them with a modifier. There could possibly also be a setting in the snap menu.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh my word! Why in 2016 can we still not transpose audio regions? For creative music production, this is absolutely essential. In Cubase, I can take any sample and manipulate the pitch in seconds, creating melodies from single pitch samples. The technology is there already, even if the algorithms aren't the best. This feature and the lack of a proper sample browser are the only things stopping me from using Logic 100% of the time.
Totally agree. A proper waveform based browser which lets us preview any audio and midi material locked to the tempo where the playhead is at and marquee selecting parts of the preview and dragging it into logic is long overdue.

Also pitching a whole region without analyzing it with flex pitch like other daws do it is also high on my wish list. Another bummer is that we still don't have the ability to slip content in audio and midi regions in the main tracks window by holding down option + command while dragging with the cursor.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Also related to live loops my guess is that it will be some sort of plugin like drum machine designer where one can drag loops into. Or it will be a separate pane on the left or right like the loops browser.

Also the apple loops utility is still the old Final Cut Studio era one. I personally think that the whole apple loops browser handling needs to be upgraded to 2016 handling of audio. I mean if the devs would borrow ideas from Studio Ones drag and drop music loops workflow that would bring logic to another level regarding sketching little ideas and dragging these between projects.
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

Edit: see updated version a few posts down the page.

(Part two of the poll is here).

Last edited by nativeaudio; 17th April 2016 at 10:17 AM..
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Here's another thing which would be great for a future Logic version:
The ability to import XML files. With such a feature, I could compose eg in Sibelius which have more composing/music-oriented features (+ even finish the score)… and then mix/re-orchestrate the composition (add new sound libraries etc) in Logic.
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

So far:
Attached Thumbnails
Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-screen-shot-2016-04-17-09.43.23.jpg  
Old 20th April 2016
Lives for gear

Here is the color palette UXD I did end of last year

Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-lpx-colorpalette.jpg

The grid shine through settings UXD

Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-lpx-grid-settings.jpg

The channel strip/ track header color tint settings

Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-lpx-color-cs-b.jpg

Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-lpx-color-tracks.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-lpx-colorpalette.jpg   Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-lpx-color-tracks.jpg   Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-lpx-color-cs-b.jpg   Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one-lpx-grid-settings.jpg  

Last edited by sambosun; 21st April 2016 at 09:07 AM..
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
Also related to live loops my guess is that it will be some sort of plugin like drum machine designer where one can drag loops into. Or it will be a separate pane on the left or right like the loops browser.

Also the apple loops utility is still the old Final Cut Studio era one. I personally think that the whole apple loops browser handling needs to be upgraded to 2016 handling of audio. I mean if the devs would borrow ideas from Studio Ones drag and drop music loops workflow that would bring logic to another level regarding sketching little ideas and dragging these between projects.
Yes, and virtually everyone else allows for time stretching with the various elastique algos out there in other DAWs, for all files not just Apple Loops. For instance, I use Ableton for much of my Audio work & browsing due to its capabilities plus WARP.

Apple should integrate their FLEX algo, and also integrate REX files with the set up. As is, you can place such files on tracks for "REX Stacks" & also use them in the EXS24. However, they're useless in the current browser. REX files do greatly enhance the Audio-to-MIDI process given their slice-based structure.
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
Here is the color palette UXD I did end of last year

The grid shine through settings UXD

The channel strip/ track header color tint settings

sambosun, what tool are you using in the screen shot?
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
sambosun, what tool are you using in the screen shot?
Do you mean what program I use to create these mockups?
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, and virtually everyone else allows for time stretching with the various elastique algos out there in other DAWs, for all files not just Apple Loops. For instance, I use Ableton for much of my Audio work & browsing due to its capabilities plus WARP.

Apple should integrate their FLEX algo, and also integrate REX files with the set up. As is, you can place such files on tracks for "REX Stacks" & also use them in the EXS24. However, they're useless in the current browser. REX files do greatly enhance the Audio-to-MIDI process given their slice-based structure.
I too use Ableton live since before it was released to the public as my audio browser via rewire. I couldn't agree more. The way how Live and Studio One handle dragging material into and out of the browser is really comfortable.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear