The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I re-order audio channels (track assignments) in Logic?
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Head

Can I re-order audio channels (track assignments) in Logic?

Hi all,

I'm going mad trying to figure this out.

I'm trying to improve my workflow and make better use of my Mackie Control.

I have a large project that I'm working on (48 audio tracks, 24 auxes etc..) and I'd love to be able to use the global view commands on the Mackie Control (same as th eblue buttons on the top right of the Logic Mixer window: Tracks/Aux/Bus etc) to move around the project quickly and use the faders as much as possible.

Unfortunately whenever I hit those buttons, things go haywire and my mixer is completely jumbled and rearranged. I've trascked down the issue to the fact that the assigned track numbers are completely out of order with the track order i have arranged the project in (this is an old song that grew from a demo and many sketches into the finished production). When I hit the aux button for example, the whole mixer rearranges itself to reflect the track number assignments rather than the carefully arranged mixer I have created.

How can I ask logic to re-order the track number assignments and save my sanity? I've tried doing so in the environment but reassign a number brings over the wrong channel strip settings. I've lost a lot of hair and sleep trying to figure this out, I'm praying there's an easy way.

Cheers.
Old 27th February 2016
I don't think you can without actually moving the entire audio region to the track you want it on, which means you'll have to move all the plugins and automation too.
I just looked in the Inspector, and in the Track Info section it does show me what audio channel its on and even has arrows after it that look like you can move it, but its greyed out and I couldn't change it in the song I just opened.. The only options I was allowed to change on any of the tracks was Freeze Mode and Flex Mode. That got me all excited for a second because Ive never been able to do that without screwing something up royally since every tracks sends and routing are attached to the audio channel, but nope guess its just a listing, you can't change it, unless theres a new option in the prefs somewhere I haven't found yet.

I used to do it every now and then just because OCD, and mine often end up that way too since I usually start tracking with my drum machine as a plugin and don't bounce it to audio until I know Im not going to change the MIDI patterns anymore. I like to keep my tracks in the order of drums/bass/guitars/vocals/synth stuff on the mixer, and I usually end up with the guitars being on audio channel 1/2, bass on 3, etc, because of the order I record in.. And by the time I bounce my drum tracks to individual files, those tracks even though I moved em to the beginning of the mixer are always like Audio 8/9/10/11/etc.. If was really being anal about it what I used to do was just pick an open track like 16 or something, copy whatever was on Audio 1 and move it all there, and then copy what I want to Audio 1, and repeat this for each track one at a time. It gets tedious though so I just gave up on it.
Old 27th February 2016
Gear Head

Yeah - I've given up trying. I nearly got there by creating a new project and importing everything from the old one, which assigned everying in the Arrange order, but the auxes were all still messed up. In the end, I don't think it can be done which is sad because it makes the ALL setting on the Mixer and the View buttons on my MCU largely useless.

Instead I've found a workaround using multiple mixer windows each set to view different parts of the mixer in TRACKS mode only, and I've reassigned one of the MCU buttons to jump between them. Not ideal, but workable.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundaboutmusic View Post
Yeah - I've given up trying. I nearly got there by creating a new project and importing everything from the old one, which assigned everying in the Arrange order, but the auxes were all still messed up. In the end, I don't think it can be done which is sad because it makes the ALL setting on the Mixer and the View buttons on my MCU largely useless.

Instead I've found a workaround using multiple mixer windows each set to view different parts of the mixer in TRACKS mode only, and I've reassigned one of the MCU buttons to jump between them. Not ideal, but workable.
That's the Problem you end up doing all this Workaround **** instead of using the Program like you want too! The way that makes Sense or Logic(Hmm)
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Can't you add a fader track in the proper position, and send the original to it?

I disable master/parent send for the folder sounds I am sending in reaper.

Maybe I am misunderstanding.
Old 1st November 2019
Here for the gear

hi friend, are you still having the problem? I believe I managed to solve it, at least here everything works perfect now
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search