Gear Maniac
"I'm still using Pro Studio 9 because 10 looks..."

I stopped reading at this point.
Old 8th September 2015
Here for the gear

Apple no longer "pro?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker View Post
Are you aware that it is the same core group of former Emagic Germans that still develop Logic Pro?
No . . . I was NOT aware . . . and quite surprised. My issue has been trying to get them to fix a bug with the key command feature.

Quote:
I can tell you from personal interaction that while Apple is clearly focused more on GarageBand updaters and EDM folks and the Logic Pro developers have to be responsive to what is asked of them, they certainly DO still care about pro users.
I don't doubt what your are saying, but my personal interactions have not been so positive. It seems through the years that Apple is more interested in iPhones than the pro users who helped make them what they are today.

BTW . . . I use EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and I love it.
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Maniac
"I'm still using Pro Studio 9 because 10 looks..."

I stopped reading at this point.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

I wish that the colored "tags" you can apply in the Finder were visible in the Browser inside Logic, both for EXS Instruments and Plugin Presets. Since all of these are actual files which can be located and manually tagged in the Finder, it would be nice if Logic's built-in Browser would display them AND allow for editing them right in the Browser. This way you could still have gigantic folders with hundreds of EXS Instruments inside (as I do) and be able to spot the "good ones" at a glance, without needing to make a sub-folder for "the best" or "the rest".

It's kind of weird that Logic's Browser is monochrome and doesn't show Finder tags....
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsound View Post
No . . . I was NOT aware . . . and quite surprised. My issue has been trying to get them to fix a bug with the key command feature.

I don't doubt what your are saying, but my personal interactions have not been so positive. It seems through the years that Apple is more interested in iPhones than the pro users who helped make them what they are today.

BTW . . . I use EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and I love it.
Once again, you need to make a distinction between "Apple" and the Logic Pro developers. Yes, they work for Apple and answer to Apple but they are understandably more emotionally involved with Logic Pro than the others at Apple.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

EXS24 is a workhorse, and I don't really mind how ancient it looks and functions… It's become a 'retro-sampler' in its own right! But I'm surprised Apple hasn't done much work to bring it up to date with the competition. The ability to save multi-timbral banks would be great, and the 'key editor' reminds me of a home-made DOS utility from the early PC days.

Anyway, as I say, I'm fine to keep using my 'classic' old EXS24 sounds I've known and loved for what seems like decades. But given Apple's purchase of Redmatica, it's hard to believe they can't polish the chrome and at least add a decent editor.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Nut

Oldish thread.. sorry to re-juvinate it.

Is anyone using Alchemy over EXS24 ?
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentstatus View Post
Oldish thread.. sorry to re-juvinate it.

Is anyone using Alchemy over EXS24 ?
Two different animals!

If you're into sound design, then yes, use Alchemy.

For sample playback, you can use Alchemy, but the EXS24 is purpose-built for this.

When creating instruments via auto sampling or DI recorded sounds, the end result here is an EXS24 instrument.

No right or wrong, winners or losers, use either one as needed.

Yes, the EXS24 is in need of a refresh, the effiency of one or multiple instances continues to make it my preferred sampler instrument.

Yep, I have Kontakt, Falcon, and HALion, all with great sounds and functionality which I use less and less for sample playback.
Old 22nd June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Here's what EXS24 looked like when it was first released in 2000 for Logic 4.3:

Here's how it looks 15 YEARS later in Logic Pro X:

The interface has hardly changed in all that time. Most of the updates shown (EXS24 MK2) were released in 2003 (Logic 5.5). I think they could make some improvements.
can you repost these two images? not sure why they are missing, but I would love to see the original compared to the current version.
Old 22nd June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Sure, monocultures are never healthy. In fact, if there *was* a credible competitor to Kontakt, I'd expect NI to make more of an effort to improve on Kontakt's shortcomings.
There is a credible competitor, but for whatever reason, it has never been able to gain ground against Kontakt.

https://www.uvi.net/falcon.html

And, they even had MOTU marketing it as MachFive for more than a decade.

Looks impressive on paper.
Old 22nd June 2019
Gear Maniac
Use it all the time for simply playback, but I try not to look at it.
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Agree 100% with the OP.

A GUI reskin. Sure, why not. But else, leave it. But add the redmatika stuff.
Old 22nd June 2019
Gear Nut

EXS Manager was a wonderful app.
Logic Pro desperately needs a sample manager to handle re-linking of .exs instruments to "lost" samples.

Suggestion:
Everyone here should send Apple some feedback:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Ask them PLEASE to implement EXS Manager functionality in Logic Pro.
If they get lots of requests from folks on this forum, perhaps they will make it a priority and it will happen sooner.
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Thing is, most decent Kontakt libraries work in the free Kontakt Player, and it's so much more advanced than EXS24, that I'd rather Apple/Logic gang didn't waste more time than necessary on it. GUI definitely could do with a refresh though!
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Pretty much a majority of samples are in 32bits, depending on genre and it’s a pain to have to convert them. Time stretching... the little things a sampler should have. It’s a good sampler, just needs to be modernized. I can never understand why people ask for things not to be updated... if you don’t want to use the updated feature then simply don’t. It’s also weird you still can’t input 32 bit samples into the sampler yet the arrange window can convert it, and you can’t preview it except from your finder. Doesn’t make any sense. New features never really break old features, it’s usually broken to begin with. I know it’s the common fear. What I would like to see is a better window to scroll for sounds and not constantly having to click the speaker icon to hear the sound. It should be continuous. Quick sample select where simply CLicking on the sample inputs it directly into exs24 and if you want to go in further you can. These would be great common sense updates, that wouldn’t mess with your workflow

Last edited by JblKid95; 6th July 2019 at 06:25 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search