The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Description

The Apex450 Tube Microphone is aggressively priced, yet superior sounding large diaphragm studio condenser capable of competing easily with much more expensive microphones in this class. One unique feature of this microphone is the nine different selectable polar patterns easily available from the selector switch on the front panel of the external power supply. Rather than limiting the user to the three popular patterns (Omnidirectional, Cardioid, and Figure Eight pattern) most commonly available, the Apex450 has three gradient stages between each pattern. This allows the studio engineer or home recordist far more versatility. In vocal applications where an omnidirectional pattern isn't quite 'fat' enough, but cardioid is too narrow, you now have three additional steps to find the right subtle mix between the two standard patterns. There are also three additional steps between cardioid and figure-8 pattern.

Discussions

MXL 9000: "Majestic" or "Mistake" ?

...tube mics have 9-polar patterns and pad/rolloff switches...originally sold for $350-400...better quality...the QCM-2 (black body) appears identical to the original Apex 450 tube mic: http://www.flyingpigmusic.com/apex450package.htm

View Post

MXL 9000: "Majestic" or "Mistake" ?

...typical of that period...they were meant to retail for around $400 new...the QCM-2 appears to be the same as the Apex 450 tube mic...you can see build quality in this posting: Repairing and Servicing APEX 450 Gold Diaphragm Tube Condenser Microphone ...that particular model, based on the poster's comments, has a plate-follower circuit which I prefer...

View Post

Intermittent Tube Mic

I have an old Apex 450 that I bought a while back as one of my first mics. I have not used it in a while and thought I would plug it in and see if it still worked. It does! However, it is only on for a few minutes then it goes away....

View Post