The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nagra VII - possibly not what you were expecting
Old 18th November 2018 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear
How does one use a Schoeps supercmit with the Nagra seven?
Lives for gear
Nagra Seven provides 10V phantom for AES42 mics and I believe is compatible with mode 1 devices. So, it should just be a matter of plugging into the AES port and setting the mode for that port in the Seven's menus for the AES port. From the manual:

"AES screen
The AES screen gives the possibility to choose between AES 3 or AES 42. The AES 42 is the AES format for digital microphones. The Nagra Seven will supply the 10V power for the digital microphones (known as mode 1), but does not run the entire protocol to control the microphones dynamically (mode 2). The 10V supply is only available when the inputs or clock reference are selected to digital, and will be cut is analogue inputs or other references are selected.
The SRC Sample Rate Converter can also be activated making sure there are no synchronization issues between the digital microphones / inputs and the recorder."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
How does one use a Schoeps supercmit with the Nagra seven?
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Maniac

The manual suggests you can record the analog and digital inputs at the same time. That makes this a 4-channel recorder. Has anyone done this.
AB3
Lives for gear
I though the Schoeps superCMIT has two AES outputs? And the Nagra has one stereo digital AES input - so I am a little confused.

Anyone actually tried a Schoeps superCMIT with the Nagra Seven?

Thanks,
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Nagra Seven provides 10V phantom for AES42 mics and I believe is compatible with mode 1 devices. So, it should just be a matter of plugging into the AES port and setting the mode for that port in the Seven's menus for the AES port. From the manual:

"AES screen
The AES screen gives the possibility to choose between AES 3 or AES 42. The AES 42 is the AES format for digital microphones. The Nagra Seven will supply the 10V power for the digital microphones (known as mode 1), but does not run the entire protocol to control the microphones dynamically (mode 2). The 10V supply is only available when the inputs or clock reference are selected to digital, and will be cut is analogue inputs or other references are selected.
The SRC Sample Rate Converter can also be activated making sure there are no synchronization issues between the digital microphones / inputs and the recorder."
Old 19th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
I though the Schoeps superCMIT has two AES outputs? And the Nagra has one stereo digital AES input - so I am a little confused.
Yes - so you plug it directly into the Nagra VII - switch on AES42 and off you go.
Lives for gear

Nagra Pro audio

See feature on Plush.

Last edited by Plush; 20th November 2018 at 05:04 PM..
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Thanks for sharing! "Nagra Analog Workshop" sounds quite promising...
Old 20th November 2018 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear
And I am curious if the VII has any audio differences from the Seven.
THANKS!
Old 20th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
The manual suggests you can record the analog and digital inputs at the same time. That makes this a 4-channel recorder. Has anyone done this.
After reading your post, I powered up my Nagra Seven. Its Input Matrix allows you to select and assign Left and Right Analogue Inputs to the Left and Right recording tracks, while simultaneously selecting Left and Right Digital Inputs and assigning them to the Left and Right recording tracks as well. Unfortunately, I do not have an AES source with me to test if it actually records from the Analogue and Digital inputs at the same time. I got a warning message saying that there was nothing connected to the AES inputs, but nothing more.

It also goes into record mode with that configuration, with no complaints or warning messages. So I’m assuming it would be possible to record from both input sources, but I am unable to test that to be certain.

However, it would still be recording to only two tracks because the Input Matrix only offers two recording tracks: Left and Right. So at best, assuming it can record from the Analogue and Digital inputs simultaneously, we could describe it as a four-input two-track recorder.
Old 23rd November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

For my situation, that would be okay for a live mix. Would the analog and digital signal arrive at the same time though? on the SD card? or is there latency?
Old 23rd November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
For my situation, that would be okay for a live mix. Would the analog and digital signal arrive at the same time though? on the SD card? or is there latency?
I have no idea, Helena. Unfortunately I don’t have any AES sources with me at present to test it any further for you.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear
The Super C-Mit is a mono mic with analog and digital outs
Don't see how this will work.
Old 25th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Nagra Pro audio

Oh, I’m featured in that one too! See ‘Greg Simmons’. They added an extra ‘g’ to my first name but I’m not complaining...
📝 Reply