The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cadac Live1 opinions
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
It's officially hooked up

First LIVE1 consoles in USA - Cadac Holdings Limited

It's indeed a classy small studio solution as well as live board option. As Hudson has articulated well already ...the mic amps, eq, the analog quality...she's pretty darn solid.
I've been enjoying the headroom and low noise floor combined w/ the effectiveness of inserting some transformers &/or tubes on some busses and enjoying the whole darn process, workflow, smooth faders, solid feel etc. my room has just become more fun.
Nice
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
So I send everything to the monitor outs and then bring that back into where? I'm not getting this from what you are saying. I need to monitor the monitor outs, I get that. I could bring that stereo pair back into the tape return, and monitor the tape return on the speaker outs.

If you are saying something different let me know...thanks.
My monitor outs feed my main monitors.

Tracking - I return the DAW in 1 of the 2 stereo returns and monitor In AFL mode.
(external pres that feed ADC or/ live1 pres the feed ADC via direct outs)

Mixing - the live1's main XLR outs feed the ADC - print to DAW - while monitoring back to 1 of the live1's stereo returns, again in AFL mode.

If this senerio isn't applicable in your situation feel free to pm me.
Glad to help, if I can.
Continuing to get my head around it all as well.
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

chet. d--get it ON
Nice pics and studio
Spread the word, bang a gong.
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
chet. d--get it ON
Nice pics and studio
Spread the word, bang a gong.
Thanks sir.
I don't have any nice little Neve 54's (like some of us ) lying around but I'll have to get by.

This little desk deserves more attention. I bet it'll get it. until then, it's an exclusive small format Cadac club!
Old 22nd March 2013
Here for the gear

Hi all,

CADAC LIVE1 product videos are now live on our youtube channel: Cadac Digital Mixer - YouTube

Or on our Facebook page

Cheers,

Ben
Old 18th June 2014
Lives for gear

I continue to love our CADAC Live 1.

Here I am using it for the second year as the main recording console at the Martin Theater of the Ravinia Festival. I record chamber music there for WFMT Radio.

The sound is sweet and with high headroom---mic amps are outstanding.

Routing is very flexible and the detail and preservation of harmonics is outstanding.

This year I am recording on a Nagra Seven and the CADAC live one is a very worthy companion to the Nagra.

CADAC Live 1--highly recommended.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I continue to love our CADAC Live 1.

Here I am using it for the second year as the main recording console at the Martin Theater of the Ravinia Festival. I record chamber music there for WFMT Radio.

The sound is sweet and with high headroom---mic amps are outstanding.

Routing is very flexible and the detail and preservation of harmonics is outstanding.

This year I am recording on a Nagra Seven and the CADAC live one is a very worthy companion to the Nagra.

CADAC Live 1--highly recommended.
Hear ya Hudson.

Continues to boggle my mind how you and I are ostensibly the only USA folk with this Cadac gem in use. Curious.

It's indeed a solid little desk.
Nice headroom, very usable pres & eq's.
I have outboard efx on the aux sends, comps on the group channels & a 2A3 on the mix when the extra tube glow works. Which almost always.

Also run a few external WSW & Magnacord pres right into some channel line ins to keep it relatively simple for routing.

Although you do well for your live use, mine is the centerpiece of my place w/ a dangerous source added for added monitoring options.

Mix via Burl B2 & not too shabby ie;
Still happy here as well.

Guess wey're just blabbing on it but heck, it was clearly under promoted & unappreciated.
Old 25th July 2015
Gear Nut

I wanted to revive this thread, because I'm terribly interested in buying one of these boards for a small project studio. The main thing I'm concerned about is how the mic pres would translate tracking drums. Have you guys tracked drums solely through this board?

For that matter, I would like to hear a dry signal (or mostly dry) of anything tracked with these pres.

Can anyone point me in any such direction?

I haven't come across a small format console that gives me such good vibes from the photos. Looks like a tank of quality (from the pics anyway). I just need to hear it.
Old 26th July 2015
Gear Nut

bumpity bum-pity
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone else care to comment on this board??
Old 30th August 2017
Gear Maniac

How does this compare to older cadacs like the j type?
Thanks.
I'd love to hear some examples of music recorded with this desk. Thanks
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

It sounds very good.
Just depends on what style you're mostly working on.

I'll say that tbh, I like the beefier sound of my modded Neotek series one I replaced it with more for my needs. Mostly though, I sold mine due to the real estate being pretty cramped on the eq/routing of the channels and my vision is lacking.
As well, I'd rather have 8-16 channels & didn't need 24 in so far as i/o & conversion.
Old 30th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
It sounds very good.
Just depends on what style you're mostly working on.

I'll say that tbh, I like the beefier sound of my modded Neotek series one I replaced it with more for my needs. Mostly though, I sold mine due to the real estate being pretty cramped on the eq/routing of the channels and my vision is lacking.
As well, I'd rather have 8-16 channels & didn't need 24 in so far as i/o & conversion.
Thanks for the feedback. I've read now that the inserts are post eq which I think would make it difficult in my set-up as I was planning on using the insert returns as the DAW returns. That and the direct outs are fixed post fader.
I mainly record singer songwriters (not my choice) but I record everything else that comes my way too which can be anything from western swing to grunge.
I like the size of this desk and that it has lots of auxes (something which seems hard to come by these days with smaller desks). I was looking at buying a j type desk after hearing good reports but I started getting worried about maintenance and it just seems hard enough trying to figure out what figuration I need.
Old 7th September 2020
Quote:
Thank you for asking. The new console is offering what I can only describe as a sweet analog sound. The Neve in comparison is more wooly and with slower sounding transients. Often this is highly desirable.

The CADAC console is cleaner and with an organic and extended top end that sounds never harsh. The CADAC offers, for lack of better words, "an expensive sound." To me this means refined and elegant with great retrieval of detail. CADAC has a lot of dynamic range and mic amps are very good.

CADAC has the qualities of a modern transformerless console with a classy British heritage sound.

Does the above sound like marketing speak? Well, I am trying to place thus new console in context with other classy CADAC consoles and English consoles in general. I like it a lot and much better than Studer sound. The console is easily transported, which also matters here to me.

I would never sell the Neve. The CADAC is the partner to it that I have been looking for.

Atelier HudSonic, Chicago
Hey Plush ! do you still use the Cadac ? what did you find it more desirable than the Studer ? They are said to be excellent.

Hope Chad is still happy too. I have a 24 in the radar, ( also I'd rather have a 16 for size).
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

Hello Downside,

I have sold the CADAC since I needed more inputs. I decided that ergonomically it was difficult to use in a studio situation. That is because it is really designed as a live sound board.

The sound of the console is really first class and I still like the console. It seems that CADAC, although they still make this console, has moved on to touch control digital consoles.
Old 9th September 2020
Quote:
Hello Downside,

I have sold the CADAC since I needed more inputs. I decided that ergonomically it was difficult to use in a studio situation. That is because it is really designed as a live sound board.

The sound of the console is really first class and I still like the console. It seems that CADAC, although they still make this console, has moved on to touch control digital consoles.
Thanks ! yeah same here, for the studio ( specially a one man band thing) there are too many auxes, and being a 24, it's quite large.

Still if the sound is really good, I might just go check it out.
📝 Reply