The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metric Halo???
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

Metric Halo???

I'm a pro tools user and I'm looking for a good sounding, stable mobile system with at least 16 analogue inputs. Any suggestions for a maximum of 2500-3000 usd ?

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with their soundcards?
Sound of converters, preamps,...??
How stable are they?

They look very solid, but in europe they are quite unknown.
How is the support?

Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Metric Halo 2882 is a great sounding box - stack as many of these as you want for multiple analog I/O of very high quality.

I know very little about Pro-Tools - does it use CoreAudio these days, ie can you use it with any Firewire interface?

If you just need an application to capture sound on the road for later editing in the studio the Metric Halo record panel in the MIO software will print your tracks to disk with no extra software required and minumum of CPU overhead. Very neat.

Support in Europe is good. If it's a software problem you email MH directly for help (they are very responsive) and if it's hardware they will bust a gut to make sure you are never left with down-time. Just join the MIO mailing list and as a MH user you'll never be left in the lurch - the professional bonds and cameraderie among MH users is strong!
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Protools HD at work, Metric Halo 2882 at home and elsewhere. Thing is rock solid, well built and sounds great. I got the +DSP version something like 3 or 4 years ago and It's hardly outdated. A lot of other manufacturers have copied the form of the 2882 for thier own mobile interfaces and IMO haven't come close to surpassing it yet. 1 2882 plus some sort of multi mic pre with adat I/O (RME, Presonus) will give you your 16 channels. 2 2882's are even better. Product development and updates are a little slow since it is a very small company but thier betas are generally much more robust than many other's releases. They also listen to thier users via the MIO list. Fixes and updates are usually right on the money and address real world needs. As you can tell I am a true MHlabs disciple.
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

First of all...Metric Halo is only for Apple PCs or laptops. Do you have a Mac ?

It's right you can stack'em. I got the ULN-2 version of the Metric Halo. This unit only has 2 preamps. You can combine the ULN-2 and the 2822 but you can only stack 4 units this way (so I was told in the store).
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by borut
I'm a pro tools user and I'm looking for a good sounding, stable mobile system with at least 16 analogue inputs. Any suggestions for a maximum of 2500-3000 usd ?

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with their soundcards?
Sound of converters, preamps,...??
How stable are they?

They look very solid, but in europe they are quite unknown.
How is the support?

I have used MH 2882 for a couple years,
Its MAc only.
The sound quality is very good IMO its a great value for the $ in terms of features, build quality and sound.
Since they brought out the newest drivers its been absolutely rock-solid for me.
Support, the MH users list & communication with the company is excellent.
Software updates are infrequent.

Note: Not sure if you can actually use it for multichannel PT?
the last I checked you could only have 2 ch AES inputs to PT
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

You can never go wrong with any MH product, they are all excellent. The only issue is the low gain on the 2882. Great sounding pre's but noisy above 30db of gain, not suitable for quiet sources.
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

I'm still using my original 2882 from over twelve years ago, upgraded with the 2d card and fully DSPd. I have two ULN-8s as well and can't really see any point in replacing them. The sound is superb, the support second-to-none and the build quality is excellent. I use the Record Panel software for tracking and Nuendo for mixing and processing, but I keep a current version of PT Native for this times when I need it. The MH kit works perfectly well with the both these programs and with all the other audio software that I use, so you should be OK.

Regards,

John
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Maniac

please consider Mytek converters.
i have just bought an 8x192 mytek card after compare it with a metric halo and a prism sound orpheus.
Mytek for me was a step above the other two.
The answer is simple. mytek is born as a mastering converters, the other two as sound cards.
I can tell you also that the firewire connection is ROCK SOLID.
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafalio View Post
That seems to be a minority opinion... plus "step above"? What does that even mean? At this level, nothing is a step above anything else.

Perception, especially hearing, is so highly influenced by so many other factors (bank account, group think, mental state, when your last meal was) that a sensationalistic statement like, "This world class converter is a step above this other world-class converter" is always a red flag for me.

The other two are "sound cards." What, like a Sound Blaster? The fact that something has I/O and routing options doesn't some how have a direct effect on whether the sonics are better or worse.

Abbey Road uses the Orpheus to archive stuff from their archives... neither it (nor Metric Halo) are toys, or anything less than the best of the best.
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, no kidding.

Rroth42086, what motivated you to post to this, 7 year old thread?
Old 8th May 2013
Here for the gear

Apparently, not everyone look at the posting dates, or someone mischevious has one for sale :-). Ok, I wait outside in the rain.
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafalio View Post
please consider Mytek converters.
i have just bought an 8x192 mytek card after compare it with a metric halo and a prism sound orpheus.
The answer is simple. mytek is born as a mastering converters, the other two as sound cards.
I can tell you also that the firewire connection is ROCK SOLID.
Were you comparing the 8x192 against the LIO8? They are both in the same price bracket, and each is the flagship converter for their respective manufacturers.
Old 18th May 2013
"Please" consider Mytek - this seems a bit odd.
Old 18th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
"Please" consider Mytek - this seems a bit odd.
That's Italian courtesy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search