The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog reverb for Dub music
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

Question Analog reverb for Dub music

hello,

I would like to know what the best analog reverb/chorus/delay for live situation for dub music : snare, african and indian instrument (sitar, derbooka...)
vermona retroverb? roland : RE-501 ?
thanks!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Reverb or Delay? For dub both are crucial but emphasis leaning on delay. If'n you're going for the classic 70's tricks and sounds a spring reverb is a must have. Plenty of options. A Fender tube reverb (can't remember the model #) is nice. Peavey even made a stand alone 1 rack space tube reverb that will do the job. If you're super cool AKG made a real nice spring reverb that looks like a mini refrigerator. On a budget but keeping with the spirit of improvisation your standard Fender combo amp's reverb will work well with appropriate reamping widgets to get proper levels to it. Instant King Tubbyism achieved by banging the reverb at musically appropriate moments for "thunder". On the Delay side that is almost a 10 page thread in itself. You won't be done wrong with a Roland RE-501 space echo. On the budget or included side Logic's tape delay is quite usable. As for chorus. Leave that for a seperate function. The King of swirly effects in dub is the Mutron Biphase. Lee Perry used that on everything. Enjoy.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm sorry I just reread your post. Live is the key word. Yes Roland Space Echo for delay, Fender tube reverb for well reverb, and a Mutron Biphase for swirl but if you can't get a good working one there are other dual or multi oscillator phase toys out there. I think there may be a Moog Moogerfooger along those lines. Good luck. Dub is a serious sound. Power to you.
Old 15th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Roland Space Echo RE 201 = what you need .. With that, also a guy who turnes the knobs in an inspiring King-tubby-style otherwise it wont make any sense.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

SPX90....classic dub/reggae percussion verb. must have for that grainy thin sound. I do alot of this sort of stuff, and I love 'em. Dead cheap and easy to find, too.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

YAMAHA E1010
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Ok thanks!

so I try to find a space echo 201 or 501!

I want to use analog effect!
old school!

Old 19th May 2006
Super Moderator

Ahh, the Roland Space Echo is a very groovy tape delay/echo box...

Man, I'm sorry I sold my two units in the 80s. I should have kept at least one of those suckers.

Back in 1979, the Police's Stuart Copland had a Space Echo set up next to his (live) drum kit. He had his hi-hat mic feeding a Space Echo directly. The output of the echo unit fed the FOH, MON and truck. It was a very cool situation.
Old 21st February 2007
Super Moderator

Some folks think for a more modern Dub Sound (not recreating the old school Lee Perry or King Tubby vibes,) you can use a stereo digital delay, a couple analog delays or a Line 6 Delay Modeler and a digital reverb.

I read that some dude saw Mad Professor live and this is what he was using to create live dubs from an ADAT.
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilepoile View Post
Ok thanks!

so I try to find a space echo 201 or 501!

Go for the 301. Should've held on to mine... Man, that Chorus - well, the rest of it too!

You can also get great results with a digital processor such as the Sony DPS-R7 and D7. Dirt cheap on eBay...

SoundToys plugs? Maybe run 'em through a board to warm 'em up? Also, is it me, or is EchoBoy substantially more digital sounding than the rest of the SoundToys plugs..?
Old 28th April 2015
Here for the gear

Here is the thing for live why not use digital and digital plug ins you can get a roland 501 delay plug in and the h hybird delay made by wave Which are made for dub with out having to load all kinds of gear.

Line mixers are easy to use for dub
where as inline is hardier..
Mad professor said he would put the delay into the aux send then back into the channel send and uses a fix analog delay at 3, 3.8 to 7.5 milla seconds for dub you have to have control over what comes in to that channel for each instrument it differs in time.

If you want full analog your going to have spend more money then still have to worry if it breaks or decides it doesnt want to work.. buying old school is fine you either need to learn to fix or finf people that can..

Good luck.. Dub is science in its self
Old 3rd May 2015
Lives for gear

I wouldn't bring a roland 201 or 501 for live use. The boss re20 pedal is digital, but it pretty much gives you the sound and interface of the real thing in a smaller, convenient and cheap package.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search