The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CM3 - really THAT good?
Old 9th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Yep, not the smoothest piano. the recording itself is nice, well balanced. You can tell the performers "float" a bit but I find it actually quite good for amateurs.
Thanks, JP. This spacing has become my new default as long as the acoustics are decent. This was my first time in this church, and aside from the loud traffic noise from the main road outside, I was quite happy with the recording.

Regarding the piano: I was playing in this example, and it was quite difficult for me to control; I was holding back quite a lot even with the lid closed. I suspect that the piano in this church has not been used very much in recent years and definitely not well maintained. On the other hand, I thought the organ was quite good, even though our director / organist found a dead note in one of the reeds that required some re-registration.
Old 10th March 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah, I could tell the player wasn't comfy with it and it does sound a bit "hard" for lack of a better word. The organ track sounds a bit bigger than what I'm used to but I tend to listen to old recordings, ie. made in the 90's from my CD collection. I know, I'm hopeless
Old 13th March 2020
I like The Lake Isle of Innisfree recording a lot voltronic thanks for sharing, the piano and vocals are well balanced, there are some magic moments in there, reminds me slightly of faure's requiem a bit.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Head
OM1 vs CM3. Connected to SD MixPre 6 mk.II.

Hope it helps..

https://youtu.be/p-8DvnR9a_w
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metronome View Post

Hope it helps..

superb! the om1 sounds great here, I think it captures the low lows in more detail, great recording.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Maniac

I recorded this a few weeks ago : Reso Labs mics as a main pair, CM3 as spots for the cello and the violin. As I've said a few times on this site already, I'm used to working with Neumann, DPA and Schoeps mics and I happily use the CM3 when budget is tight.
I've recorded more than 400 concerts and can attest the CM3 are very useful, balanced and are easy to position, which is a plus when there's not much time to set everything up.

EDIT : just to add that this was tricky to record : the cellist and violinist were close to the organist and far on the left side of the main omni pair. I chose to be quite close to the organ and compensate with reverb (Stratus).

Last edited by benoïde; 16th September 2020 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: comment added
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
benoide: I really like your tall stand. :-) That's what is missing in my equip.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hope it helps..

These do sound impressively good. I'm with you—with all the more expensive mics I have, I still find my Line Audios to be indispensable.

I agree that the OM1's pick up the extended lows better, but there's just a little too much room there for me, and I prefer the intimacy of the CM3's. Out of curiosity, which pair did you go with?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
benoide: I really like your tall stand. :-) That's what is missing in my equip.
Oh yeah! The broadcast station I work at has two of those, they were made in house a long time ago and they are sometimes borrowed by other engineers who are producing records. Its stability is good and you can go as high as 13 meters I think, it even has an integrated y cable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Someone is trying to get $500 for a CM3 on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/34469111-lin...ore-production

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmafyew View Post

Pretty nervy. $500 for a $180 mic, and they still want money for shipping. Some people have no shame.
Old 3 weeks ago
Doesn't even have the clip.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmafyew View Post

They’re vintage!

Have you even tried buying a pair of CM2 lately?!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The "discontinued craze" is hilarious.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by unqlenol View Post
Doesn't even have the clip.
and it says in the description 'extremely well taken care of'
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
The "discontinued craze" is hilarious.
'you won’t see another CM3 listed in Reverb or eBay for months/years?'
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
'you won’t see another CM3 listed in Reverb or eBay for months/years?'
Is this one new? I didn't pay attention. Even if - definitely suffers from an inflated price tag. Shocking that someone is convinced that it's "worth" 400€/$ or what not. I've seen them on Reverb for a quarter of that. I wonder if someone will bite...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I sold my CM3s late last year after getting some CM4s and finding them better in every way (for my purposes -- drum overheads & acoustic/piano spots, often in crappy-sounding rooms). I think I put a pair up for $200 combined, thinking "oh I'll probably have to come down on these," but they sold within ten minutes of my posting them. Totally bananas.
📝 Reply