The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors for remote: KH 120 A & ADAM AX7
Old 14th May 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
MichaelPatrick's Avatar
 

Talking Adam A7X vs Neumann KH120

I'm looking for some speakers that are easy to carry to remote gigs for mixing and to play back recordings for the artists. These are on my short list.
Old 14th May 2011
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
I cannot speak about the Adam A7X, but I just got a pair of Neumann KH120s in and they sound tremendous!!!

I mean, they pack a punch for their size; they sound fabulous to my ears.
I plan to do a lot more listening over the next few days, but I'm really digging these speakers of love.

I'm considering building a portable 5.1 surround rig around them.

IMHO, Neumann hit a home run with the bases loaded with these speakers!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
I'm considering new monitors for playback and occasional mixing of acoustic & classical music at remote locations.

Anyone have a well-considered professional opinion of these two models? Is there another make/model in this price range that deserves consideration?

A7X - Description | ADAM Audio GmbH
Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring
Old 14th May 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 

I have ordered a pair of Grover Notting Code 1.5's on design spec.
Universal Series Principal Audio Monitors

Will let you know impressions when I get them. There's a lot of excitement from those that have heard them.
Old 14th May 2011
  #4
Here for the gear
 

I'm in the same boat. Tested some monitors in this price range in the last weeks. Concerning to the reviews worldwide and especially here in Germany I thought the A7X will make it. Until I heard them. I have to say I'm really disappointed. Heard the improved version of the A7X (port noise problem). They sound really muffled and quite hard to judge in the mids and bass. My favorite in the price range were the KRK VXT 6/8 even if they look horrible heh. But you know it's just a tool. Accidentally I tried the A8X then and they are surprisingly good. I just thought they are going a little deeper than the A7X but they are much better in every detail. To me they are completely different and really good monitors (also a step behind the Adam S2X).

Now I'm waiting for the KH120A from Neumann. Unfortunately there are only a few units available in Germany yet even it's also a german company... I heard they had some troubles in production in Ireland and they are just providing the US market now. I talked to some guys already knowing the KH120A and they ALL were very enthusiastic about them! So I will wait for them and give 'em a try!
Old 14th May 2011
  #5
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
You are going to love the KH120As.
I very impressed on how much punch you hear from such a small speaker cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegt View Post
I'm in the same boat. Tested some monitors in this price range in the last weeks. Concerning to the reviews worldwide and especially here in Germany I thought the A7X will make it. Until I heard them. I have to say I'm really disappointed. Heard the improved version of the A7X (port noise problem). They sound really muffled and quite hard to judge in the mids and bass. My favorite in the price range were the KRK VXT 6/8 even if they look horrible heh. But you know it's just a tool. Accidentally I tried the A8X then and they are surprisingly good. I just thought they are going a little deeper than the A7X but they are much better in every detail. To me they are completely different and really good monitors (also a step behind the Adam S2X).

Now I'm waiting for the KH120A from Neumann. Unfortunately there are only a few units available in Germany yet even it's also a german company... I heard they had some troubles in production in Ireland and they are just providing the US market now. I talked to some guys already knowing the KH120A and they ALL were very enthusiastic about them! So I will wait for them and give 'em a try!
Old 14th May 2011
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
You are going to love the KH120As.
I very impressed on how much punch you hear from such a small speaker cabinet.
Nice to hear!
I'm interested in those monitors in particular because of their true reproduction of every sound detail and frequencies. That's what have been told to me by the guys that already know them. Would you verify this?
Old 14th May 2011
  #7
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
I have not done enough listening to confirm that claim, but confidence is very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegt View Post
Nice to hear!
I'm interested in those monitors in particular because of their true reproduction of every sound detail and frequencies. That's what have been told to me by the guys that already know them. Would you verify this?
Old 16th May 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
I have ordered a pair of Grover Notting Code 1.5's on design spec.
Universal Series Principal Audio Monitors

Will let you know impressions when I get them. There's a lot of excitement from those that have heard them.
The 'on paper' performance specs look impressive, except for the lowish 85dB sensitivity figure, suggesting you'll need to tote around a fairly powerful amp with you on location recordings, which adds an extra weight and connectivity hassle that the self-powered speakers don't have ? Still, it looks like a worthy performer....despite the acid-etched serial number plate !
Old 16th May 2011
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Thanks for all the links. I'm interested in small (classical) location monitors too.
I couldn't find any Grover Notting measurements besides the single-number specs. The Neumann KH 120 specs/measurements look impressive as well, although I don't feel qualified to predict performance based on specs only.
IME max SPL can be an issue when musicians ask for identical loudness between performance in the hall and playback in the green room.
<10 kg weight per speaker is very tempting
BTW, the Neumann website "Worldwide Distributors" links European customers to the Sennheiser website, but there I can't find any Neumann info.
Where can European customers try/buy Neumann-kh equipment ?
Old 16th May 2011
  #10
Here for the gear
 

You can get them from every dealer in Europe. The KH120A will arrive end of may. Have a look at Thomann or Musicstore Cologne in Germany for example for best price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees de Visser View Post
BTW, the Neumann website "Worldwide Distributors" links European customers to the Sennheiser website, but there I can't find any Neumann info.
Where can European customers try/buy Neumann-kh equipment ?
Old 16th May 2011
  #11
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees de Visser View Post
Thanks for all the links. I'm interested in small (classical) location monitors too.
I couldn't find any Grover Notting measurements besides the single-number specs. The Neumann KH 120 specs/measurements look impressive as well, although I don't feel qualified to predict performance based on specs only.
IME max SPL can be an issue when musicians ask for identical loudness between performance in the hall and playback in the green room.
<10 kg weight per speaker is very tempting
BTW, the Neumann website "Worldwide Distributors" links European customers to the Sennheiser website, but there I can't find any Neumann info.
Where can European customers try/buy Neumann-kh equipment ?
I was listening to a 9.1 rig (9 x KH120As and a sub) at the European AES today and they sounded excellent.

I am waiting for a demo pair to compare with my O110Ds.

The KH120 is certainly worth a listen before making a final decision.


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 17th May 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Well I don't do many location classical projects currently but over the past years I tracked numerous projects at places like Skywalker Ranch, Fantasy Studios and lots of places around the Bay Area (the Little White Chapel in the Presidio being one of my favorites!). These days I stay put and mostly work on mixing and not much location recording...

Anyway, I'm monitoring a pair of KH120's right now, (as in today), from my local dealer in Oakland, and I've got to say, they are amazing in my room. amazing. Jaw-dropping clarity, precise sound-stage, and astounding frequency response that stays neutral and doesn't have the bloat that most ported monitors seem to have.

I'm running them with a Kush Gain Train for monitor control and using them in conjunction with my NS10's powered by an Adcom modd'ed by Jim Williams. This combo is absolutely working for me so thought I'd share...

I'd say Neumann (and the K&H design team) really set the bar in this size of active monitors now. They are absolutely worth a listen.
Old 17th May 2011
  #13
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Very cool report Chris.

These speakers seem like a winner to me.
Old 17th May 2011
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

I hate this forum!!!

I'm in the market for new monitors and was researching, I had set my limit to €500-600, and was looking for JBLs, Yamahas, Genelecs, Adams, etc.. and now I'm waiting for the greek distributor to have in stock a pair of Neuman KH 120!!!

Anyway, a question for those who have heard them, or the o110. As I'm a musician than a mixing engineer, I would spend most of my time in front of them composing, creating jazz and classical arragnements, listening and anylising music, and recording my guitar (I play jazz and classical guitar), are they enjoyable to listen to? do you recomend them for my uses?


Did I mentioned how much I hate this forum! :P
Old 17th May 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Well enjoyment is subjective so you really have to audition them yourself to decide but I'd say in response to your question that I am enjoying them. Far more than I expected.

I enjoy them because I like neutral monitors, they let me hear the mix, program, etc as it is. I don't like hearing a monitor "color" a mix because it doesn't do it evenly. So while some source material seems to get a positive effect or benefit from the color there is always the potential for other source material to get the exact opposite. I don't like that and I find it distracting. It makes me 2nd guess things and makes it difficult for me to be confident that I've created a mix that will translate to other systems well.

So I like neutral monitors that seem balanced across the spectrum without any enhanced areas like sizzle, boom etc. If you enjoy that, then you should really audition them too.
Old 17th May 2011
  #16
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantine View Post
I hate this forum!!!

I'm in the market for new monitors and was researching, I had set my limit to €500-600, and was looking for JBLs, Yamahas, Genelecs, Adams, etc.. and now I'm waiting for the greek distributor to have in stock a pair of Neumann KH 120!!!

Anyway, a question for those who have heard them, or the o110. As I'm a musician than a mixing engineer, I would spend most of my time in front of them composing, creating jazz and classical arrangements, listening and anylising music, and recording my guitar (I play jazz and classical guitar), are they enjoyable to listen to? do you recommend them for my uses?


Did I mentioned how much I hate this forum! :P
Enjoyment is not what you want in a monitor - you want cleanness and accuracy to tell you what you are doing wrong and not to hide this under "niceness".

Having said this, the K+H O110 are certainly good to listen to. They tell you what is wrong, but when it's right they are also pleasant to listen to.

I have had the O110D for a few years now and am seriously considering getting the KH120 - especially after hearing the 9.1 demo at the AES London this past weekend.

I hope this helps.
Old 17th May 2011
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
benoïde's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
(...)I have had the O110D for a few years now and am seriously considering getting the KH120 - especially after hearing the 9.1 demo at the AES London this past weekend.(...)
I was there too. VERY impressed by both the demo and the speakers.

I attended (edit : not assisted as previously written - not my native language, sorry!!!) your presentation about digital microphones too! I really liked it, it was a very good informative summary of the state of the technology and its implementation.

Last edited by benoïde; 19th May 2011 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: not my native language, see reply below!
Old 17th May 2011
  #18
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoïde View Post
I assisted (attended?) your presentation about digital microphones too! I really liked it, it was a very good informative summary of the state of the technology and its implementation.
Thanks - I hope I wasn't too fast.

In the end I crammed into 35 minutes what I should have taken an hour to say, there was a lot to get over.

I'm very glad you liked it.
Old 18th May 2011
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I was listening to a 9.1 rig (9 x KH120As and a sub) at the European AES today and they sounded excellent.
The KH120 low end starts to drop at 60Hz. Above that the freq.response looks excellent.
Did you have a chance to hear the setup without sub ? The need for a sub on location sessions would be little attractive.
Old 18th May 2011
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Enjoyment is not what you want in a monitor - you want cleanness and accuracy to tell you what you are doing wrong and not to hide this under "niceness".

Having said this, the K+H O110 are certainly good to listen to. They tell you what is wrong, but when it's right they are also pleasant to listen to.

I have had the O110D for a few years now and am seriously considering getting the KH120 - especially after hearing the 9.1 demo at the AES London this past weekend.

I hope this helps.
well, I may have used a wrong word, I'm not looking for "nice" monitors, but I need to be able to listen to them many hours a day.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 18th May 2011
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavcatcher View Post
Well enjoyment is subjective so you really have to audition them yourself to decide but I'd say in response to your question that I am enjoying them. Far more than I expected.

I enjoy them because I like neutral monitors, they let me hear the mix, program, etc as it is. I don't like hearing a monitor "color" a mix because it doesn't do it evenly. So while some source material seems to get a positive effect or benefit from the color there is always the potential for other source material to get the exact opposite. I don't like that and I find it distracting. It makes me 2nd guess things and makes it difficult for me to be confident that I've created a mix that will translate to other systems well.

So I like neutral monitors that seem balanced across the spectrum without any enhanced areas like sizzle, boom etc. If you enjoy that, then you should really audition them too.

thanks for your reply, thats what i wanted to hear!!

I'm really anxious to find them in stock, especially since my Tannoy blowned its amp and I'm listening to mono the last couple of weeks.
Old 18th May 2011
  #22
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantine View Post
well, I may have used a wrong word, I'm not looking for "nice" monitors, but I need to be able to listen to them many hours a day.

Thanks for your reply!
I can certainly listen to the K+H/Neumann all day - and my Harbeths as well.
Old 18th May 2011
  #23
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
I'll tell you something...

I have a pair of these and I don't really miss the sub.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees de Visser View Post
The KH120 low end starts to drop at 60Hz. Above that the freq.response looks excellent.
Did you have a chance to hear the setup without sub ? The need for a sub on location sessions would be little attractive.
Old 19th May 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 

Strong recommendation, that.
Old 26th May 2011
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

The KH120D has both digital and analog inputs which looks like an advantage to me.
Would there be any reason not to prefer the KH120D over the KH120A ?
Does anyone know which DAC is used ?
Old 26th May 2011
  #26
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees de Visser View Post
The KH120D has both digital and analog inputs which looks like an advantage to me.
Would there be any reason not to prefer the KH120D over the KH120A ?
Does anyone know which DAC is used ?
The KM120D is not released yet.

But I have heard that the digital input is the same as that in the K+H O110D.
Old 26th May 2011
  #27
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
You are going to love the KH120As.
I very impressed on how much punch you hear from such a small speaker cabinet.

hi...i read that you are an experienced user and you have also experience with kh 120...i need to buy a pair of monitors and i'm also thinking acoustic energy ae22,focal cms 50 (i ll use sub anyway so...i don't care for the sub freqs..)

which of them do you think is better for mixing??i need a monitor that i don't have to ''guess'' how it translates...and i want it also to have flat,detailed sound,in every area...!!
Old 26th May 2011
  #28
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
I'm not familiar with the AE22, but I understand they have passive and active versions of the model.

If you're considering the passive version, the type of amplifier you're using is also critical in the final sound output.

I love my Focal Twin6 Be speakers; they are my 'go to' monitors when mixing in Elroy.

I have listened to the focal CMS50s and I wasn't blown away with them.
But, I was blown away with the KH120As...

The clarity and detail is astounding to me, especially for their price point.



Quote:
Originally Posted by stergios View Post
hi...i read that you are an experienced user and you have also experience with kh 120...i need to buy a pair of monitors and i'm also thinking acoustic energy ae22,focal cms 50 (i ll use sub anyway so...i don't care for the sub freqs..)

which of them do you think is better for mixing??i need a monitor that i don't have to ''guess'' how it translates...and i want it also to have flat,detailed sound,in every area...!!
Old 27th May 2011
  #29
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The KM120D is not released yet. But I have heard that the digital input is the same as that in the K+H O110D.
Do you know which DAC chip is used ?
Old 27th May 2011
  #30
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees de Visser View Post
Do you know which DAC chip is used ?
Sorry, no I don't.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 51 views: 6736
Avatar for NuSkoolTone
NuSkoolTone 30th January 2007
replies: 163 views: 12468
Avatar for Ethan Winer
Ethan Winer 4th February 2009
replies: 283 views: 127362
Avatar for N1Greg
N1Greg 2 weeks ago
replies: 64 views: 21066
Avatar for dickiefunk
dickiefunk 31st August 2018
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump