The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mxl 2003a
Old 15th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The 2003a sucks, IMHO. I didn't get the mic at all when I had one. Top end is brittle and tin can sounding. Get a used AT4040 instead. It sounds ridiculously better for about the same price.
Thanks for the opinions (i know they're just that). But they're useful none the less. I wouldn't say I'm specifically searching for overhead mics but mics that I could ALSO use for overheads :D My budget requires multitask mics!

Also good call on the at4040, am investigating.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
The 2003a sucks, IMHO. I didn't get the mic at all when I had one. Top end is brittle and tin can sounding. Get a used AT4040 instead. It sounds ridiculously better for about the same price.
The 2003a is awesome, IMHO. I get it totally. The top end is great and crisp. A used AT4040 is also excellent.

The missing context here is what you're using the 2003a for, and also, your personal tastes play heavily into your assessment.

"Better" is relative. The usual follow on is something like "well clearly you can't hear the difference". Which very well may be...but it's also irrelevant. The point is to find out if the user likes the mic him/herself. It is patently ridiculous to purchase something like a microphone (which often can't be returned) based on a subjective opinion from someone you don't know.
Old 15th May 2013
I made this face after reading your post

=(

hahaha I know what you mean and I think when you say you "get it" in regards the 2003a I can relate to my own mic experiences (fromo the Manley Gold Reference to my PG48). I think I'll be ok if I go with v67g+2003a or if I just get an at4040 and use what I've got. Thanks for your concern :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmo0815 View Post
The problem with forums is that everything you said is purely opinion...

I'm not saying what you said isn't true, it's just a subjective assessment of what YOU don't like about the mic. So the best recommendation is to always try it out before you buy it.
...and I never claimed otherwise. People ask questions on here and other people give their best advise which is pretty much always an opinion, in one way or another. For example, what you just shared is your opinion. That's okay, that is how this works. Folks sift through all this and form their own opinions based upon what we are saying right now!
Lives for gear

I used it on vocals and acoustic guitars. Something was really missing in the midrange on both. It sounded hollow. That's mostly what I don't like about it. Even though it looks great on paper, there's weight missing in the midrange on this mic. Might be good for a female vocal, I don't know. But, yes, this is strictly from my experience and my opinions. YMMV

There's also something going in the electronics of MXL mics that doesn't work with my setup. I get this subtle squealing sound, like I'm hearing the phantom power or something moving through the mic. I don't get it with any other mic from other brands. I've noticed the same issue with an MXl V67, 2003a and a 603. It could be the electrical setup in my apartment doesn't gel with the way MXL's are wired. Who knows. I gave up on it and swore off buying all MXL mics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmo0815 View Post
The 2003a is awesome, IMHO. I get it totally. The top end is great and crisp. A used AT4040 is also excellent.

The missing context here is what you're using the 2003a for, and also, your personal tastes play heavily into your assessment.

"Better" is relative. The usual follow on is something like "well clearly you can't hear the difference". Which very well may be...but it's also irrelevant. The point is to find out if the user likes the mic him/herself. It is patently ridiculous to purchase something like a microphone (which often can't be returned) based on a subjective opinion from someone you don't know.
📝 Reply