Nagra 4 S and Nagra 4.2
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear
Agfa PER 368 for a Nagra
Bias to + one dB
Plenty on the Bay
Old 14th July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Thanks, Roger. Well, no Agfa 368 for us. We have to base our work on consistent standards, and part of that means using newly produced, currently available tape stocks. Old stock tapes from eBay aren’t going to cut it. Maybe for fun, but not for making records.

Did you mean SM468, which is the same formula as the old Agfa PER468?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Agfa PER 368 for a Nagra
Bias to + one dB
Plenty on the Bay

Last edited by bwanajim; 15th July 2018 at 01:12 AM..
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear
PER 368 Jim
Blue leader, matt white backing, 900' on a 5" roll
So many BASF formulations
This was best for the IV-S TC
Old 15th July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Thanks for the clarification, Roger. Sadly, that formulation is no longer available. I am ordering SM468, SM900 and ATR Master and will do some testing to see what sounds best. Looks like bias position 4 will be the best starting point for the SM468.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
PER 368 Jim
Blue leader, matt white backing, 900' on a 5" roll
So many BASF formulations
This was best for the IV-S TC
Old 28th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hello! Great thread, partly as a result of reading it I have acquired a Nagra which I love using!

I am trying to find out how to use a QSV-2 time varier with a Nagra IV-STC, I have started a thread and it would be very helpful if anyone has time to check my findings, thanks!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high...sync-help.html
Old 3rd September 2020
Here for the gear

Hi
I have a Nagra 4.2 here that records too quiet.
The inputs ( mics and LINE IN ) are ok as you can see on the meter and hear the DIRECT OUTPUT and PHONES . While recording if i switch to TAPE monitoring you can hear the weak signal almost inaudible. When playback the recorded signal it´s the same.
The heads are clean, and the outputs are ok as i can hear the noise getting boosted when i turn the playback pot up. Also other tapes recorded on different Nagra plays ok.

I also have a Nagra IV-S that works perfectly so i tried the tapes and power supply with it to compare.

Any idea what it can be? seems to me there must be a problem with the record head. Maybe it needs replacement, service , or maybe the Nagra is biased for different tapes. Sad thing is David Lane at Richmond Film Services was the last person to see this Nagra, but RFS is closed forever after he passed away. I can´t find any notes from him regarding calibration.

PS pictures of Nagra and used tape below

Thanks in advance.
Ric
Attached Thumbnails
Nagra 4 S and Nagra 4.2-img_0507.jpg   Nagra 4 S and Nagra 4.2-img_0504.jpg   Nagra 4 S and Nagra 4.2-img_0505.jpg   Nagra 4 S and Nagra 4.2-img_0611.jpg  
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Addict

It would be unlikely for a head to spontaneously go bad. You might try opening it up and jiggling all the cards including the record card under the deck.

Does the machine erase a normally recorded tape OK?
Old 4th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi
It does erase the tapes correctly. Just records very quiet, you can hardly hear it and see it in the meter when monitoring the line output.
Thanks

Ric
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Addict

Does this occur at all speeds?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie View Post
Does this occur at all speeds?
Hi,
Yes it does, i just made the test.
When i switch modes during recording, like from Standard to Low Noise or between speeds, it cracks a loud distorted sound at the signal. But actually i can´t remember if that´s a normal behavior.

I played other tapes ( mono recordings and stereo recordings) made in different recorder a Nagra4s. All sounds with good level. Listening to this Nagra 4.2 recordings in my other Nagra is the same, a weak sound almost inaudible. So it has to be an issue with the record head or the tension system.

Thanks
Ric

Last edited by rrkrdo; 4th September 2020 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: to thank
Lives for gear

I was just told by Glenn Trew (Trew Audio, Nashville), maybe one of the only Nagra techs in the USA these days, that tensions on Nagras are tricky to properly adjust but important. FWIW.

I just sold a IV-S (Harvey mod) yesterday. It was actually working well, which not only surprised me, being 1980s era, but spoke to the legacy.

D.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I was just told by Glenn Trew (Trew Audio, Nashville), maybe one of the only Nagra techs in the USA these days, that tensions on Nagras are tricky to properly adjust but important. FWIW.

I just sold a IV-S (Harvey mod) yesterday. It was actually working well, which not only surprised me, being 1980s era, but spoke to the legacy.

D.
Maybe it wasn´t correct but i tried pulling and pushing the tension carefully during recording and there wasn´t any response on the record monitoring or playback of the recorded tape. I´m thinking on getting the service manual and open it to check connections on the record head.

If i send the Nagra for service i might send it to Trew Audio. But shipping could be an issue as i´m not in the US.
Thanks
Ric

Last edited by rrkrdo; 4th September 2020 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: technical description
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddy View Post
Like most tape machines, you can select to monitor the incoming signal before it hits the tape or you can monitor from the tape. On the IVS it's the top right-hand switch that goes between "Tape" and "Direct".
It's been a while, but I believe the tape/direct switch is momentary.
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Addict

The service manual is available on Hifi Engine for free but you have to register.
I think the tension must be close if it plays back OK. Personally I would use a scope to check the signal path and bias before paying for a new head. It would be cheaper to find a dirty switch or failed component. Trying a known good head would help, but not practical. I don't know the specs of a good head, so could not say what an impedance or inductance test should say.
Old 5th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cibley View Post
It's been a while, but I believe the tape/direct switch is momentary.
Nope.

D.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Nope.

D.
I stand corrected.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie View Post
The service manual is available on Hifi Engine for free but you have to register.
I think the tension must be close if it plays back OK. Personally I would use a scope to check the signal path and bias before paying for a new head. It would be cheaper to find a dirty switch or failed component. Trying a known good head would help, but not practical. I don't know the specs of a good head, so could not say what an impedance or inductance test should say.
Hi
Thanks for helping.
I´ll check circuit and will get back with news
Thanks again all
📝 Reply