The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2track remote options for Mac os X?
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear
2track remote options for Mac os X?

I have a mac 0s9 protools hd rig in my studio and some 2 track remote recording coming up this summer and lots of files(classical pieces) expected. I have an Emac that is OSX only that I'm planing to use, and I was thinking about the MBox and ptools Le but am wondering; how does it sound and how solid is it in OSX?
I was thinking about an apogee mini-me but again; anybody used it in OSX, what app did you use?
I don't have much for OSX audio apps yet, just spark, anybody used it for 2 track with large files, for like a 45 minutes section?
How about the motu stuff and OS X?
Thanks for any help,
daniel
Old 10th June 2003
Mac Moderator

Hi Daniel,
I would seriously consider the Mbox/PTLE solution. And for a number of reasons.. you already have a Tools Rig so you can very easily get the session back and forth between your two rigs. PT6 on OSX isn't bad at all.... When it does go wrong its usually at the creation of a session, not during... and its pretty easy for any Mac Tech to solve whatever goes wrong with it.

As for the sound.. well it sounds great for the cost.. Obviously its not an Apogee... you do get what you pay for.. but I know its used for many proffesional recordings so there's no real issue there. If you aren't happy with the sound.. I would actually add a Mini-Me to the Rig, and use it in it's A to D role into the Mbox SP/Dif input. I have a number of clients who do this, and it works flawlessly for them.

If you just bought a Mini-Me then you'd still need additional software for Multitrack applications (e.g: Deck etc..) and this costs nearly the same as an MBox (with it's 'free' PT6LE)

Never used a Mini-Me straight into an OSX Machine, so I can't comment there it seemed ok in OS9, and hopefully it would be even better under OSX as it's USB Drivers in general are superior.

Motu stuff is ok under OSX. The new 828mk2 looks great, but you don't get Audiodesk under OSX yet.. and even if you did... it would be at least a two step process to get your sessions into your HD rig.

Hope this is of help?

Al.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by MCal
Hi Daniel,
I would seriously consider the Mbox/PTLE solution. And for a number of reasons.. you already have a Tools Rig so you can very easily get the session back and forth between your two rigs. PT6 on OSX isn't bad at all.... When it does go wrong its usually at the creation of a session, not during... and its pretty easy for any Mac Tech to solve whatever goes wrong with it.
Al.
Al thanks for the help! I haven't used OSX all that much so I'm a little leary of using it without knowing more about it.
I've been using it as of late for final cut and other video stuff,
10.2.4 seems pretty solid. I'd like to use my main rig but too much hassle,thanks
daniel
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Nut

For a really minimal 2 track setup, I usually take my Powerbook and MBox - and 95% of the time, my Panasonic converters as well. I just go from the Panasonic to the SPDIF on the MBox, bypassing all the analog electronics in the MBox. I do have to use an AES to SPDIF transformer. So, If you wanted to stick with ProTools, you could get both the MBox and the MiniMe for a good sounding setup. Bear in mind that though I've heard pretty good things about the MiniMe, I haven't used one myself. But the point is that the MBox has digital inputs, so you can use any converter you want, and still use PT on OSX. I wouldn't recommend the MBox converters or pres for classical work. Or much of anything, for that matter.

-Dave
Old 11th June 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

The Metric Halo ULN2 is also worth looking at... much better pre's and convertors than MBox. It has utility recording software which records SDII files so you can spot-import into ProTools afterwards. Firewire bus-powered, although I don't think your battery life would be up to much. If it was me, as already recommended above, I'd probably go with the MiniMe/MBox solution... transfer int your larger rig would be totally transparent.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear
So, the pres/converters on the Mbox aint so hot? Looks like I'll have to pony up for the mini me or indure some hasslegrudge
I had been planning on using an external pre maybe I could bring along my eclipse, its single rack and the converters in it are pretty good. Has anybody used the ksp8 and the mlan card? I wonder if Spark will work in osX with the mlan card or the mini-me?
Well then theres the new 002 rack, wonder what that sounds like? Thanks
daniel
Old 21st July 2003
Logic seems to be reliable in OSX. I've used it a bit with the motu 1296.
No problems here
Old 21st July 2003
Gear Maniac

WE use Motu's DP to record 2 trk performances of some of our concerts.

Bryan
Old 24th July 2003
Lives for gear

I have been using Logic, Peak, and Spark with OSX with no problems at all. You might want to look into the new M Audio firewire box. And perhaps an ADC1 to go with heh
Old 29th July 2003
Gear Head

metric halo ULN2 is an amazing 2-track.
Works great with Logic in X (if logic works for you...)

www.mhlabs.com

love mine to bits,

'best
Tom
Old 29th July 2003
Lives for gear
Thanks all for the help
I've been thinking about the Mbox, the digi page says the le version of ptools that goes with it will work with my control 24 and that the new digi oo2 rack will also support the control 24 in the future.
I don't always need the full version of protools, so this would be kinda handy
daniel
Old 11th August 2003
Gear Maniac

must put down a recomendation for the mini-me

sounds good, and it works.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear