The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Diff between MKH416 P48\MKH416-T
Old 7th November 2005
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
VO-Guy's Avatar
 

Question Diff between MKH416 P48\MKH416-T

Alot of VO guys use the Sennheiser MKH 416 P48. I've also seen the MKH 416 T. From what I've read the "T" stands for TPower and the P48 stands for 48v Phantom Power naturally. Is that the only difference between these two mics? You can get an adapter and use the "T" version with Phantom power but I wanna make sure that that's the only difference. Anyone know? Thanks for your help!
Old 8th November 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
santacore's Avatar
Hey Chris,

I believe that is the only difference. I recently did a head to head comparison between the two and they sounded the same. I think the t-powered mic had just the smallest amount less gain but that was about the only difference I could tell. The only other issue I encountered was that with the adapter the mic became very long. The adapter added about 3 inches to the mic. If that's not an issue for you then I would go for it if the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO-Guy
Alot of VO guys use the Sennheiser MKH 416 P48. I've also seen the MKH 416 T. From what I've read the "T" stands for TPower and the P48 stands for 48v Phantom Power naturally. Is that the only difference between these two mics? You can get an adapter and use the "T" version with Phantom power but I wanna make sure that that's the only difference. Anyone know? Thanks for your help!
Old 8th November 2005
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Radioking's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacore
Hey Chris,

I believe that is the only difference. I recently did a head to head comparison between the two and they sounded the same. I think the t-powered mic had just the smallest amount less gain but that was about the only difference I could tell. The only other issue I encountered was that with the adapter the mic became very long. The adapter added about 3 inches to the mic. If that's not an issue for you then I would go for it if the price is right.
Just wanted to second what Santacore said.
I use a couple of MKH406's with the p48 adapter all the time & they work fine. I got mine cheap. The p48 adapter cost twice what the mics set me back(£64 from canford audio in the UK)
BTW what's the difference between the 406 & the 416?
Old 8th November 2005
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
VO-Guy's Avatar
 

That's good too hear, I can pick up the Tpower 416 for about $500 used and the cheapest I can find the P48 is around $800. Now to find an adapter
Old 8th November 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
T(onader) powered mic´s don´t allow You to change phase between mic and pre like phantom powering allows. Thats about the only practical difference between T and Ph.
T-powering was the standard for location film/TV recording with Sennheiser
Mkh mics in the 70´s, most location mixers still have this option.
Regards Matti
Old 8th November 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
adamcal's Avatar
 

I use a T powered MKH 416 with a t to 48V adapter on voicovers every day, the adapters are about $45, I got one from trew audio.

here you go

http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item335.htm

Old 8th November 2005
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
VO-Guy's Avatar
 

Hey thanks I appreciate it! Got a couple of leads on P48's, if they don't pan out I guess I'm Tpower\adapter bound! Thanks for the replies!
Old 25th August 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Sanchez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacore View Post
Hey Chris,

I believe that is the only difference. I recently did a head to head comparison between the two and they sounded the same. I think the t-powered mic had just the smallest amount less gain but that was about the only difference I could tell. The only other issue I encountered was that with the adapter the mic became very long. The adapter added about 3 inches to the mic. If that's not an issue for you then I would go for it if the price is right.
Just for the sake of keeping a necrothread with good info - the 3+" adapter for a T type doesn't have to sit in the back of the mic itself, you can just use 2 XLR cables with the adapter out of the way in the middle somewhere.
I also just compared a T set up like this and a P48, recording at the same time and other than 1.5dB diff in gain to get the same input level, they were identical sound-wise.

Last edited by Sanchez; 26th August 2020 at 02:51 AM..
Old 25th August 2020
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO-Guy View Post
That's good too hear, I can pick up the Tpower 416 for about $500 used and the cheapest I can find the P48 is around $800. Now to find an adapter
And as a bonus you know the 416T won't be a fake either!

Although, I'd be seriously considering a Deity S Mic2 or Rode NTG5 as well.
Old 25th August 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Good point about a 416T not possibly being a fake--why would they bother!? In any case you can have your 416T converted to p48 by Pete Verrando (http://www.416tupgrade.com/416Tupgrade.com.html) and then you won't need any adapter. He converted my 416T, as well as 9 Schoeps CMC4s and they all work great. 416s are one of the most battle-tested, commonly-accepted production mics in the history of sound recording. There is a reason why they are so widely counterfeited: they are easy to sell since there is always a ready market for used ones.
Old 26th August 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Sanchez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Good point about a 416T not possibly being a fake--why would they bother!? In any case you can have your 416T converted to p48 by Pete Verrando (http://www.416tupgrade.com/416Tupgrade.com.html) and then you won't need any adapter. He converted my 416T, as well as 9 Schoeps CMC4s and they all work great. 416s are one of the most battle-tested, commonly-accepted production mics in the history of sound recording. There is a reason why they are so widely counterfeited: they are easy to sell since there is always a ready market for used ones.
Indeed, there are fakes...and other great options too but depending on scenario, client etc it might be 416 or go home.
And for the record Pete at 416tupgrade.com is a true gent - I reached out for some help/advice without spending a cent and he totally came through for me If I was in the US I'd def send him my T but unfort location makes it too $pendy.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1111 views: 228385
Avatar for ObscureMics
ObscureMics 5 days ago
replies: 1597 views: 287933
Avatar for C Hagelskjaer
C Hagelskjaer 5 days ago
replies: 2 views: 5505
Avatar for danybtsonyc
danybtsonyc 11th September 2020
replies: 9 views: 2993
Avatar for MYN
MYN 24th September 2018
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump