The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Echo Audiofire 12?
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Echo Audiofire 12?

Thanks to Jules for dealing with the nastiness going on in my original thread. He said to try again so.... Below is my original post.
Amid the chaos that ensued, Lord Bunny sent a link to some of his tunes done with an Audiofire 12 and that was very informative to me. I would welcome any others songs recorded using the Audiofire 12 (or AF 8). Thanks and here's my original post........

Echo Audiofire 12?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question that may or may not be able to be answered.

If I retire my Aardvark Q-10 Pro and replace it with an Echo Audiofire 12 (for more analog inputs) should I hear a step up in sound quality or be moving backwards?

I do not use the preamps in the Q-10, just line in / convertors from my mixer's outputs and outboard preamps.

I want to beleive that with a more modern interface (as compared to the Aardvark) I should see an increase in sound quality, however with the Audiofire 12being a lower end piece, I'm just not sure. I would like to get something a little higher end but $$$$$$ will not allow it. The Audiofire with it's 12 analog ins @ around $600 fits the bill financially, if it's up to the task audio-wise.

Any opinions / suggestions? Thanks in advance for any input.

Yesterday, 02:41 PM #2
Jules
Gearslutz.com admin

Try again
MySpace -
Join the "Gearslutz" group on Facebook!
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

This i s something from the DoG's album I'm working on, done 100% ITB using an Echo Audiofire 8... whether it's a good advert for the capabilities of said card, that's another question altogether heh

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Star City.mp3
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

I say go for it. Its a amazing peice of gear for the price! If you do get it buy it from ECHO Audiofire 12 and support warren. He posts here all the time and is very helpful and customer service is top notch from what I hear!
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Addict

Firemoon, sounds great. I'm getting more and more sold by the minute.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

All done through Audiofire12:
Alternative Music - We by Gerry Corsi
Pop Music - Find Your Way by Gerry Corsi
Rock Music - Caught Between by Gerry Corsi

Not sure that helps or not...but you asked for some songs recorded through an AF12 so there it is...

I personally love the unit!
Old 22nd January 2010
Gear Addict

Janesaid2me, Sounds great! The more I hear things that have been done through the AF 12 the more I'm convinced it's a really nice piece, and quite a bargain.

PS I love hearing what others are doing with their Audiofire stuff, it really gives me hope. THANKS!
Old 22nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodreb View Post
If I retire my Aardvark Q-10 Pro and replace it with an Echo Audiofire 12 (for more analog inputs) should I hear a step up in sound quality or be moving backwards?

To address your original question, I think it would be more like a step sideways.

Those Aardvarks were actually pretty good-sounding interfaces. And so is the Audiofire, so flip a coin.
Old 23rd January 2010
Gear Addict

Yeah, I think the Aardvark is a pretty good sounding unit.
A step sideways would be OK to get more inputs, a step up would be even better, but a step down would be unacceptable.

Thanks. All input is appreciated.
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Another vote for it - the only thing I wish it had was digital inputs. At first, I lamented that it didn't have a headphone output, but I just started running headphones into pairs of the standard outputs (there are 12 of them after all) and using the software (which is good, btw) to set the levels - works great.

The thing updates with new firmware automatically whenever they post it on the web and I plug it in - easiest firmware update of any device I've had (music related or otherwise).

Very solid, and has never flaked out.
Old 23rd January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah, I think the Aardvark is a pretty good sounding unit.
A step sideways would be OK to get more inputs, a step up would be even better, but a step down would be unacceptable.

Thanks. All input is appreciated.

FORGET A STEP A GIGANTIC LEAP AND CHEAPER 399

Steinberg MR816X Firewire Audio Interface 1DSP | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH
Old 26th January 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
All done through Audiofire12:
Alternative Music - We by Gerry Corsi
Pop Music - Find Your Way by Gerry Corsi
Rock Music - Caught Between by Gerry Corsi

Not sure that helps or not...but you asked for some songs recorded through an AF12 so there it is...

I personally love the unit!
hello, i am very new to posting in this forum so please excuse my noobie-ness

What did you use OTHER than your audiofire12

My question really lies within the idea of just pluggin in some drum mics straight into the audiofire 12.

Did you use any mic preamps if so which ones?
What does the unit sound like just going Mic -> Audiofire12?

any help/insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

nigel
Old 27th January 2010
Gear Addict

You can't plug a mic straight in to the AF 12, you have to use a pre amp. The AF 12 is line level only.
Old 27th January 2010
Gear Maniac
Another vote for Echo Digital AF, and another vote for War and Zen Pro Audio. War is a superior person and only deals with stuff like he would like to be dealt with himself. Stellar transaction with ZenPro.

heh
Old 27th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can't plug a mic straight in to the AF 12, you have to use a pre amp. The AF 12 is line level only.
In some occasions some mic's put out a level high enough that you don't need the amplification in a dedicated preamp.

So no, you don't have to use a preamp.

/Peter
Old 27th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Can you lightpipe the Audiofire to an 002r? I've been hearing that this unit is not Pro Tools compatible. I'm hoping that it isn't compatible as a standalone interface, but can be used as a lightpipe I/O. Anybody using it this way?
Old 27th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbacker View Post
Can you lightpipe the Audiofire to an 002r? I've been hearing that this unit is not Pro Tools compatible. I'm hoping that it isn't compatible as a standalone interface, but can be used as a lightpipe I/O. Anybody using it this way?
this one has no digital outs only analog
audiofire 8 has lightpipe
Old 27th September 2010
Gear Maniac

So, having ADAT, would the audiofire 8 work as a lightpipe I/O for PTLE? I've been trying to confirm this. I'm waiting to hear back from Echo. Just curious if anyone has experience with an Audiofire 8 in this application. I want to confirm before I take the plunge on one. Thanks for the info about the 12. I did not know that.

Sorry if this is off topic...
Old 27th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Just spoke with someone at echo and he couldn't say. He suggested posting on their forum which I will do. I thought I'd ask here again too. Anybody using an echo audiofire 8 with an 002r? Lightpipe? It'd be pretty cool if it would work...
Old 27th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Great !

It's a great interface 100% worth every penny !!!
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

I agree the audiofire line is excellent. Worth every penny spent and then some.
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Still love this unit....still rock solid for me....recorded and entire album this summer with it and never one issue...everything turned out great
Old 28th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just spoke with someone at echo and he couldn't say. He suggested posting on their forum which I will do. I thought I'd ask here again too. Anybody using an echo audiofire 8 with an 002r? Lightpipe? It'd be pretty cool if it would work...
you cant because it does not work in standalone mode here is quick list of interfaces that can

1.profire 2626
2.tc electronic konnekt 48
3.mackie onyxblackbird
4.steinberg mr816x/csx
5.presonus digimax fs

too name a few they all can be had for around the same price give or take a hundred depending on which one..
Old 28th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Widget, you're the best. I've been scouring the goddamn web contacting all these companies, creating accounts to access their forums etc. Trying to find out that info you just provided me with. Seriously, thanks a million. I'm liking the idea of the 816 for an adat expansion for my 002r.
Old 28th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Widget, you're the best. I've been scouring the goddamn web contacting all these companies, creating accounts to access their forums etc. Trying to find out that info you just provided me with. Seriously, thanks a million. I'm liking the idea of the 816 for an adat expansion for my 002r.
that is what i use

next up would be the presonus digimax fs, eight pre amps, it could be gotten on ebay for four hundred dollars second hand i use to own one it sounds great check out this video its used the same way you trying use yours
in pro tools

YouTube - PreSonus Digimax FS with Kidney thieves/Shocknina...
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetlocsta View Post
you cant because it does not work in standalone mode here is quick list of interfaces that can

1.profire 2626
2.tc electronic konnekt 48
3.mackie onyxblackbird
4.steinberg mr816x/csx
5.presonus digimax fs

too name a few they all can be had for around the same price give or take a hundred depending on which one..
Are you sure?

The AF4 works as a stand alone converter without connection to a computer and it's the lowest priced unit in the Audiofire line.

/Peter
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

unprocessed samples from the 12

It's hard to find a decent number of samples on this Audiofire 12. I've been referred to a few on this forum but I'd love to hear some basic mic'd instrument stuff without a lot of gravy on it..been considering this one for a while but I'm puck shy on it for some reason.
Old 28th September 2010
Gear Nut

I sold my Lynx Aurora 16 after comparing to the AF12. I could only hear a 1-1.5% difference in sound quality on the DA side.

Didn't really AB test the AD side but there has been no noticable difference to my ears.

FYI- this is going through Adam A7's with sub.
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio_drummer View Post
I sold my Lynx Aurora 16 after comparing to the AF12. I could only hear a 1-1.5% difference in sound quality on the DA side.

Didn't really AB test the AD side but there has been no noticable difference to my ears.

FYI- this is going through Adam A7's with sub.
...now thats a real testimony right there
Old 28th September 2010
Gear Maniac

So Widget, you like the Steinberg? I'm about to grab one on eBay. I'm not really concerned with the pres though. Just need good conversion.
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

I think the conversion is fine. I've just finished recording a Steinway at our local library with apair of 414b-uls into a great river MP4H and it sounds great.

ONLY thing I'm experiencing is after three years the firewire card in it must be going because it takes several tries to get it to connect to my PC. I haven't contacted ECHO because I can't go without it for even a day to have it serviced. That said, I use it everyday and have done so for three years.

I'm not thrilled about the problem but I've been an Echo user for over a decade and this has been my only issue.
๐Ÿ“ Reply