The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Networked digital recorder?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Question Networked digital recorder?

Hi, I am trying to setup a recording solution at work. Right now, I have a computer setup that records the output of several mics. It is a Windows XP setup and the computer is logged into via Remote Desktop and audio is recorded through Audacity. I feel confident in this setup for this particular situation because there are backup portable recorders in place.

We wish to expand this setup further. I do not feel confident in using a computer for this because multiple people will be using the setup (compared to a single person right now), there will be no backup setup, and the audio will be distributed instead of being used for transcription purposes currently.

I have absolutely no idea of what a reputable brand would be for something like this but I have found a few things searching around. Something like this:
Marantz | PMD580 Rack-Mount CompactFlash Digital Audio | PMD580

would be perfect spec-wise (provided that the web GUI is simple to use) but I have no idea about the reliability of such a unit.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a single channel digital recording unit that can be armed remotely on a network and the files can be retrieved in the same manner. Thank you.
Old 17th November 2009
jjb
Gear Head

Marantz makes solid gear.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I don't use it in its network capabilities, but the PMD580 is in regular use here and it has never failed me. I'm usually sending it a digital signal, but it sounds good analog as well. Definitely would recommend it.

--Ben
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you. Looks like I'll be checking that out.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear