The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
your opinions on my cables
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

Talking your opinions on my cables

I just found this forum. Never knew it existed. So i wanted to know what you guys think of my cables. They are all wired with Neutrik connectors.

These are the cables i've been using since i got into pro audio.

Gepco: GLC20, XB20UB, M1042
Canare: L4e6s, GS6

The M1042 I use because the xlr cables are exposed to hostile stage environments and travel a alot.

I was wondering is there any other cable you would recommend.

Also for short runs, like from mixer to effects and between effects i am using XB401. The shielding seems to be a bit weak. Do you think it's okay? Or should i use a different kind?
Old 12th November 2009
Anything by Canare or Gepco are usually fine. Gepco is probably the most popular cable for broadcast installations, and Canare is on par with Mogami with their quad designs. It seems you are using the right cable for the right applications, so I wouldn't worry. You really only have to get picky when it comes to digital applications.

That being said, all REAL audio engineers use this stuf

Pear Cable Audio Cables - Home Audio - Anjou Analog Interconnect

kidding...
Old 13th November 2009
Didn't that bearded guy sell cameras down on Market in the 80s?
Gotta get some of these, kick some but,
WT
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Wow--oh my RROOOOOOOTTTTT!!
PEAR audio cables---$1600 per meter.

Gotta get some, otherwise I'd feel inferior and my erection might suffer.

To actually help the OP, it looks like your cables are good standard issue cables. I use some GEPCO here and I like them. However, recently I have noticed that they allow more interference noise to enter the system than some other cables. I noticed this while some GEPCO was lying on top of an electrical extension cord. I had a buzz and when the cable was moved away from the extension cord, it went away.

Here we use Mogami 2549 and Gotham GAC-3. These are the top choices in my opinion.
Old 14th November 2009
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
...all REAL audio engineers use this stuf

kidding...

I'm partial to this brand of cables...

Audioquest Sky Audio Interconnect Cable with 72V DBS

Act now - closeout pricing available with this special limited time offer!

Let us wire a 96 track recording studio with this stuff!

...or NOT!
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

hey Steve do those guys charge u more for the XLR feature?? i would have thought that perhaps 2 XLR would be a couple of hundred bucks or so extra...
not to devalue the quality of any RCA equipped stuff one might have?
Old 14th November 2009
Super Moderator

You can click on the drop down window and change it to XLR.

At those prices does it really matter? heh
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I'm partial to this brand of cables...

Audioquest Sky Audio Interconnect Cable with 72V DBS

Act now - closeout pricing available with this special limited time offer!

Let us wire a 96 track recording studio with this stuff!

...or NOT!
That's insane. I thought cables like that were a myth. An RCA interconnect for $800/piece? Jeez Louise... I guess if they only sell a few they still make a lot of money! I'd still buy Monster over those...
On another note Canare Star Quad is good bang for your buck.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
That being said, all REAL audio engineers use this stuf

kidding...
As for Pear hating on hand-made cables they need to hate the game not the player. I don't think this is going to convince much of the market to spend 1000% more on cables.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing View Post
hey Steve do those guys charge u more for the XLR feature?? i would have thought that perhaps 2 XLR would be a couple of hundred bucks or so extra...
not to devalue the quality of any RCA equipped stuff one might have?
NO professional uses RCA "interconnects", only audiophools. We use wires and cables, of good quality and reasonable price. $800 per meter is not reasonable. And RCA is not professional excep tto plug in a CD player or iPod. OR a recod player!

2c,

L
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
NO professional uses RCA "interconnects", only audiophools. We use wires and cables, of good quality and reasonable price. $800 per meter is not reasonable. And RCA is not professional excep tto plug in a CD player or iPod. OR a recod player!

2c,

L
That is not a very professional claim. :-)

Professionalism (is that a word?) is about using the right tools for the job and sometimes that might be unbalanced stuff like 1/4" jacks or RCA with coaxial cables.

/Peter
Old 15th November 2009
Super Moderator

I use phono (RCA) connectors every time it's necessary to use them.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
That is not a very professional claim. :-)

Professionalism (is that a word?) is about using the right tools for the job and sometimes that might be unbalanced stuff like 1/4" jacks or RCA with coaxial cables.

/Peter
Yeah I was overstating it for some fairly obvious reasons...

Recently during an orientation on the new sound system installation at the club where I work, the installer droid responded to my question about how do I connect my HD24 recorder to the directs, when all it has is XLR output jacks... his snooty reply was, in high end audio we don't use quarter nch jacks, you'll just have to adapt to XLRs. His attitude was very like an audiophile saying, "well you can't hear jitter on those cheap speakers" - both statements arrogant and alienating! Either one reduces respect and trust in the person and their company.

I remaind silent but wanted to say, this is a music club, not a high end living room!

Of COURSE we'll use what we need for the time and application... and professionalism is indeed a word! A very important one...

Lou
Old 15th November 2009
I remember a story I read a while back where an electronics store had a comparison between high end video cables, (I think they were Monster) and a mystery cable. Most people could not tell the diference in video quality and some even picked the mystery cable as better.

The mystery cable was an unwound clothes hanger made into a cable. Kind of makes you question many makers claims.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I use phono (RCA) connectors every time it's necessary to use them.
that's a very professional attitude...
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Wow--oh my RROOOOOOOTTTTT!!
PEAR audio cables---$1600 per meter.

Gotta get some, otherwise I'd feel inferior and my erection might suffer.

To actually help the OP, it looks like your cables are good standard issue cables. I use some GEPCO here and I like them. However, recently I have noticed that they allow more interference noise to enter the system than some other cables. I noticed this while some GEPCO was lying on top of an electrical extension cord. I had a buzz and when the cable was moved away from the extension cord, it went away.

Here we use Mogami 2549 and Gotham GAC-3. These are the top choices in my opinion.

where can i get this gotham cable? And why is it so good?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by this n00b again View Post
where can i get this gotham cable? And why is it so good?
Gotham Audio LLC ~ The exclusive American and Canadian importer for Gotham Audio Cables
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear