The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Silver Face 1176 or Distressor with Britt Mod
Old 6th May 2003
Here for the gear

Silver Face 1176 or Distressor with Britt Mod

Looking to go a bit more High end with a Compressor. Right now I have Two LA4's and want a Nice Single channel Comp/Limt For tracking Vocals and Guitars!

The Crane Song Stuff Is out of Budget so It's a toss between a Silver Face 1176 or a Distressor with The Britt Mod?

I'm leaning towards the Distressor just for more Versatility but will the 1176 have a better quality?

Thanks All

Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

I'd get the Distressor with the brit mod. The only thing I really use the 1176 for with all the buttons pushed (like the brit mod emulates) in is on guitar. I used to do it with drums, but that sounds dated to me. Some people (perhaps, TLA?) use it on vocals, but I've never had enough control on the 1176 to get it to sound the way I want. I prefer an LA2A type compression on vocals, which you can get easily out of the EL8. It's also a lot cleaner than the 1176, which isn't really an issue for guitar, but on vocal it's a minefield. Also, sometimes when you use the 1176 on layered distorted guitars, the attack kicks in too quickly for my tastes, so the EL8 gives you more flexibility. Brit mode with an attack of 2 is a compression I had seach all over for.
Old 6th May 2003
Super Moderator

If I had to pick between a Silver 1176 and an EL8 w/ Brit Mod., I'd go with the EL8 for versatility and it's varying sound capability.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

And then pick up the purple audio mc77 for good measure...

def the distressor if it is either or.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search