The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Altiverb vs Briscati?
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Meant to say exponential audio. Elemental was a typo from posting while tired. Thought I corrected it, but I see I missed one.

-Ben
Old 21st August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
The problem with convolution reverbs probably is that the sound becomes only as good as the microphone and speaker system you have used to make the algorithms. Placement, spacing, choice of microphones, and last but not least the speaker unit you use to emit the test signals will have a significant influence on the sound of the actual reverb. I doubt that the Bricasti sounds better because it has its own processors or that it is a hardware box. The reason is probably a lot more complex.
Altiverb and the other convolution software reverbs I've tried have given the
impression of lowering the overall "audio quality" of the recording too much, even when the reverb succeeds in capturing the essence of a real acoustic. Bricasti on the other hand, may sound somewhat artificial in some situations but the "audio quality" of the recording does not suffer from the processing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Meant to say exponential audio. Elemental was a typo from posting while tired. Thought I corrected it, but I see I missed one.

-Ben
Thanks for clarification Ben.

The context made me believe it was a typo but I searched for Elemental and that's actually another company making (or use to make) plug in reverbs.
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the real point in this discussion is this.

if you like most high end orchestral recordings between
mid nineties and 200x ( bricasti release date )
you will like the lexicon pcm plugin which has the 960 algorithms.

if you think some high end orchestral recordings
from 200x ( bricasti release date ) until now
sound dramatically better than everything before buy the bricasti.

Personally I dont think Alan Meyerson's mixes
sound so much better since he has the bricasti instead of the lexicon...
its still music.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For me the biggest difference between convolving reverb and the M7 remains twofold:

1. in some situations the Bricasti is just superior (with the right preset). It just sounds pretty amazing !
2. in other situations the convolving reverb (using my own samples) trumps the Bricasti, with one very big caveat. Although I have sold some of my samples to one firm (which does not exist anymore), I have to admit getting it to sound exactly right and natural asks -a lot- more from the end user then the basic presets/settings.

You HAVE to go in and tweak those early delays, offset and level to get something that really sounds better than the dry recording.

M7 = after 2 minutes you have an amazing reverb
convolving reverb can take up to 1h to get it right. If it still does not work, then M7
Old 23rd August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
M7 = after 2 minutes you have an amazing reverb
convolving reverb can take up to 1h to get it right. If it still does not work, then M7
The software programs I've used (mainly Altiverb and Waves) take too much of a toll on the original audio quality of the recording, no matter how much tweaking, no matter how "natural" sounding the resulting reverb.

The Bricasti usually takes a fair amount of tweaking to get the right overall effect. For example, although the bass response is very high quality, it needs to be dealt with carefully for each individual recording.

It's a slower process which requires patience, taking into consideration that it works in real time, compared to a software program processing a file directly.
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So in 2016, is It worth? Are any new contender? Or I'd must get one M7?
Old 28th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
Or I'd must get one M7?
Unless, of course, you're able to afford more than one M7.

In which case, get at least two, definitely.
πŸ“ Reply