The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
CB mics and live use
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Question CB mics and live use

Hi

I wanted to use a couple a CB mics live for A: look B: momentary on switch ( i use a lot of distortion on my vocals and no gate, eq or even a sabine feedback destroyer can get me around my massive feedback problems) C: extra color and distortion from using a funky old CB Mic.

I need to plug this into my pres and then into my effects, but CB mics are designed in a way that I do not understand because of their voltage needs and their output not being mic level.

So, how should I go about plugging a CB mic into my standard mic pres?

Any help with this and my massively huge feedback problems would be great!

Thanks

ben
Old 23rd July 2009
Gear Addict

Specifically what CB mics are you referring to? I have used EV m43u, among others, with standard preamps and gear and it works fine.

Distortion will definitely limit you gain before feedback. I think overdriving something will work slightly better, but I have never had very good luck getting totally distorted vocals up in monitors.
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

You need to give us the specs on the mic. If it's close to line level and higher than a mic's impedance then you might not need the pre and you could use the line in on the mixer. Most effects increase feedback issues if used in the monitors. Proper mic placement and monitor placement are the most important thing though.
Old 23rd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Love the idea!!!!!!! Heck just plug it into a mic pre and see, nothing's going to catch fire! If that doesn't work try using line, or a DI box. Something will work! Who cares if it's not electronically correct, as long as the sonic goal id realized.

Again, I love the idea.
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonraboin View Post
Specifically what CB mics are you referring to? I have used EV m43u, among others, with standard preamps and gear and it works fine.

Distortion will definitely limit you gain before feedback. I think overdriving something will work slightly better, but I have never had very good luck getting totally distorted vocals up in monitors.
I was just going to pick something up from a local shop if there are any. The effects that I will be using are probably going to be AU plugins in mainstage. Maybe I should bring some fooger pedals and overdrive them instead?
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedupsteve View Post
You need to give us the specs on the mic. If it's close to line level and higher than a mic's impedance then you might not need the pre and you could use the line in on the mixer. Most effects increase feedback issues if used in the monitors. Proper mic placement and monitor placement are the most important thing though.
every venue i play will be different, and probably knda ****ty. sometimes without a foh engineer at all. mic placement and monitors are the least of my problems ( i usually have to use no monitors an dwe move around a lot) when half of the venues will have their speaker stacks on stage or halfway behind on the sides or even worse.
Old 24th July 2009
Lives for gear

what is the conversion for the pin out of the cb mic to xlr (it has four pins)
Old 24th July 2009
Lives for gear

This is funny... I didn't even mean to click on this sub-forum.

I'm an old school CBer. In fact I was on today shooting skip on the Superbowl. I've done exactly what you are talking about, but in a bit of a different way.

I've recorded a rapper freestyling over the CB, I had two radios hooked up and just ran the speaker output of the receiving one and ran it into my mixer. It sounded really cool.

Stock CB mics can be really crappy. An Astatic D-104 would give you some pretty good clarity but might feedback a bit. An Astatic Road Devil is good because it has some noise cancellation. There is another Astatic that has tone controls and would help a ton.

But if you want the ultimate in asthetics, get an Astatic Silver Eagle or a Golden Eagle.

The funny thing is that I dont use these for the most part on the CB, I use my studio condenser mic and a compressor.
Attached Thumbnails
CB mics and live use-astatic_silvereagle.jpg  
Old 24th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstate View Post
what is the conversion for the pin out of the cb mic to xlr (it has four pins)

FYI: They are all different. What kind of mic is it? What kind of radio was it paired with?
Attached Thumbnails
CB mics and live use-mic_plug_positions.jpg  
Old 7th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
But if you want the ultimate in asthetics, get an Astatic Silver Eagle or a Golden Eagle.
I have a Silver Eagle sitting in front of me. I'd love to convert it to an xlr and put it through a standard studio pre-amp. Anyone have info on the pinout / power requirements of the mic?
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

The Astatic D-104 ("Silver Eagle") appears to be an unbalanced high-impedance crystal microphone. It would be more suitable for an electric guitar input and probably would not put out a decent signal into a typical low-impedance mic preamp.

Astatic's Final Edition D-104 Silver Eagle
Old 7th January 2012
Gear Nut

But terminating this with a TS connector and putting it into a DI or instrument input should work ok, yes? Crystal microphones don't require power correct?
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Crystal mics do not need power. In fact they likely don't even tolerate power. Yes, fitting a 1/4 inch phone plug for use in a DI or instrument input would be what I would try first.
Old 7th January 2012
Gear Addict

Converting CB mics to an XLR o/p is easy....in a CB mic there are actually 2 circuits the first is the mic circuit and the second circuit is the TX on / off switching.
You actually need it get into the mic and re solder some connections. Firstly the mic will have 2 connections these will need to be terminated to pins 2 & 3 of the XLR plug. (this then gives you a constant working mic)
The switch will be wired for CB use to a "normally open" position for the TX control circuit, this needs to be changed to the "normally closed" connections of the switch, these 2 switch wires then need to be connected to pins 2 & 3 of the XLR as well (doesn't mater which way around).
So you will now have a mic with its o/p sorted together UNTILL the switch is pressed which "un-shorts" the connections and the the mic will work.
Doing it this way there will be no "splats" when the mic is turned on, it will be oblivious to phantom power if it happened to be on that feed.
The older "trucker" type mics work well as they are just a dynamic mic, the newer small CB mics are electret and would be tricky if not difficult to modify for this sort of use.

I actually have 2 CB mics to XLR's on my OB kit, they are great problem solver..... I often have one in in the last channel of my desk which can be used to feed AUX sends, testing to groups, outgoing feeds or IFB feeds etc.
I have used them feeding into a radio mic TX which then goes to the mixer and gets routed to the talent IFB feed so a floor producer can feed info to the talent like in a Dr. Phil type show etc.
Old 6th July 2015
Here for the gear

Hi guys and gals,

Sorry to hijack an old thread but it seemed the best place to ask. I am after the opposite of Ben. I've just purchased a large ex MOD mobile speaker array for announcements at gigs and it only has a CB type mic input. Three wires; ground , audio & Push to talk PTT. What I need to do is wire a bog standard wireless mike in, XLR, 1/4 Jack, whatever. Is it just a case of wiring in the mic between ground & audio and putting a permanent connection between PTT and ground so the mike is always live? Dont want to blow the circuits as I dont know the difference in output between Stage mics and CB mics. Hope that makes sense?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Charlie
Old 7th June 2016
Here for the gear

I hope this thread is still active, it sounds like a few of you guys know your stuff, I'm hoping you can help me out. I wanna do the exact same thing with a "Turner SSB+2 Transistorized" mic. It looks cool as hell, I'd love to try it out for live and/or studio vocals. On the bottom of the mic there's a compartment for a 9-volt battery and a small black switch that barely moves, I can't imagine what it's used for. On top, below the mouthpiece, there's a two-day on-off switch, with the "on" switch being labeled "Transistorized.". Behind the mouthpiece there's a simple rotary volume pot, with 0 being labeled min and 20 labeled max. The plug is a 4-pin screw-on connector. I looked at the chart that wax808 (much thanks, by the way) posted above, but I can't tell which type of 4-pin connector I have. Anybody out there know what I need to do?
Old 8th June 2016
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

I want to use my Astatic Silver Eagle D104 with a T-UG8 stand to play my blues harp on. I want to hook it up to an amp. Do I still need the powered base? How do I address the old male 3 pin connector on the mic and the old female 4 pin on the base. I have not been able to find an old male 3 pin to XLR adapter anywhere. I know there are similar posts here but I am new to all this and would greatly appreciate your patience and any help. Thank you.
Old 30th March 2018
Here for the gear

I have an Astatic Golden Eagle D104, can anyone on this forum convert it to work for live use for me for a fee? If so, how much would you charge?

Thank you!!

Christy
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search