The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another Golden Oldie -opinions on the Genex GX8000?
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Still have a GX8000 here, love the ergonomics of this unit. Mine only has the digital AES boards in it. I have a SATA SSD drive and a SCSI to SATA adapter to try when I get a chance. Going to try to change the sector size to 4096 to get a decent record time.

Not serious about using it for session work though. More a novelty now and to see if I can get it working.

Looks good in the rack.
The + and - ten seconds button on the Genex machines is something I miss on any other machine in the world. A Decca invention.

I don't know if 4096 bytes is going to work, I have bought some of those EDO MOD discs and never got them to work.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Head

If you figure out a way to adapt an SSD to a Fostex DV824 definitely let me know as that is a machine I'm using for recording currently (using Genex converters as a front end). I mean, if you can get the SSD working on the 8000 though let me know because that would be pretty amazing to use on location.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister View Post
I don't know if 4096 bytes is going to work, I have bought some of those EDO MOD discs and never got them to work.
I successfully changed the sector size on an old Seagate SCSI drive to get a decent record time out of the Genex when I last used it on a gig. I think from memory it only has a 24 bit address space for disk sectors, and the default sector size of 512 bytes means the record time is short.

I found the post where I described the process a few years back.
Extending the life of a Genex GX8000

Will advise on any progress on the SSD drive. This is the adapter I purchased.
https://www.addonics.com/products/adsalvd160.php
Old 2nd February 2020
Gear Maniac

We took our Genex out of mothballs last week. It works wonderfully as a playback machine for overdubs because you can set cue-points very easily. Much more efficient and less clunky than using your main recording workstation to do both jobs.

Same old annoyances about the Genex though. Nonstandard wiring of the AES i/o connector. File format does not drop directly into a DAW. Old SCSI arrangements for external drives feels so dated, and not in any good way.
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
One or two quick comments.
We owned more Genex 9048s than anybody outside live nation.
1) the Genex power supplies are standard off the shelf switching power supplies. They can be purchased new for about $50 ea. I bought a bunch of them from one of the surplus outlets for $12 ea.
2) The converters were very good sounding for their day, but by modern standards, they are a bit long in the tooth. Heat is the biggest issue with any Genex recorder. The converters will only sound their best when they are kept cool.We modded all our machines with additional internal fans as well as a 4" exhaust fan over the converters. One of the big issues with the genex converters was DC offset. They dealt with it by removing it from the DA conversion, but for digital editing, you needed to be very careful.
We used these as converters only to feed our Pyramix systems over MADI long after we stopped using them as recorders. Every day with the Genex was an adventure. click the power button and lets see what we get...
All the best,
-mark
I'm just quoting you Mark as you have experience with the GX9048 and maybe StageIO+ and Mix+ ..

Do the analogue cards for the GX9048 / GX9000 do both PCM and DSD as standard? And the same with the StageIO+ cards?

Hard to tell from the promo leaflets I downloaded or the GX9000 manual online...
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear
(P.s. Here's a cheap GX8500 for someone, untested other than powered up, in CA : https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENEX-GX850...R/114288852933 - $149)
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
Old SCSI arrangements for external drives feels so dated, and not in any good way.
On the plus side though, scsi opens up to a world of very cheap storage that is out of date in the server world.

Here's 8TB of SATA drive storage with all sorts of RAID and virtual drive configuration with a SCSI connection.. for 99p + £30 postage. Must be plenty going spare in old AVID set-ups.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infortren...-/254585851957

When on a budget, SCSI can actually be a boon (ok, those storage units are stupidly noisy... so need the expense of a machine room!)
Old 11th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Going back to SCSI for audio doesn't really appeal. I need to fire up our old SADiE Artemis next week because it is all I have to transfer old 192k recordings which were made 2-wire and 4-wire in times when we had no other way. Surprised to find the biggest individual SCSI drive we had was 73GB. Our current editing workstation has more than a hundred times that including a 1TB NVMe SSD which is much faster than our old 73GB SCSI drive. How did we ever manage? The old system was as noisy as sitting in the launderette.

Other second hand bargains I have seen recently are Sony Digibeta standard definition broadcast documentary cameras. They used to be the price of a high performance car. I saw an offer for them at £35 each or four for £100. Still didn't buy any.
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear

You could still edit hifi audio on your Artemis if you wanted to. Those Sony DBeta cameras are boat anchors, shooting in a format that no one wants or has playback decks for. No one on the video side misses tape at all.
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear
You can install SATA SSDs in those 99p SCSI raid systems. Being SSDs, you could then probably disable the internal fans. Anyway, if you're not on a budget and it's your business it certainly won't appeal.
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear
Can anyone say whether the anaolgue I/O on the Genex GX9048s are always DSD capable and you don't need a special DSD-capable version of the analogue I/O cards?

Same with StageIO+ cards?

Ive just purchased an ex-Live Nation system with 40 channels of analogue I/O, 2 MADI cards in the GX9048, GXR, plus a StageIO+ and Mix+ ... but I won't get to try it all out until I set up my studio which is frustrating! Can't wait to a) work out it's capabilities b) hear it in action! Hopefully means I can drop all gearlust for latest convertors etc (it's only for a personal projects).
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

I have a Genex for sale Please take it away.
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear
I am all Genexed out in one hit..
Old 24th July 2020
Here for the gear

I found GX8000 manual, but it's only in paper form.

http://ibb.co.com/image/8J6h0
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John568 View Post
I found GX8000 manual, but it's only in paper form.

http://ibb.co.com/image/8J6h0
I think you can find the manual from The Web Archive - stored pages of the Genex website from 2005..

EDIT: OK, release notes and (the last?) firmware update for the 8000, Manual etc for the 8500

https://web.archive.org/web/20070804...t/archive.html
📝 Reply