The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PA speakers
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Question PA speakers

Hello All remote Slutz!

I do mostly recording work, but on occasion also asked to provide a small PA. Usually for Vocal and piano, or spoken word.
Can someone reccommend a mid priced, mid wieght PA spaeker to put on stands for small clubs or rehearsal rooms?
I've been renting the Mackie 450 and JBL Eons and having only marginal success. There must be something a little better out there, does not have to be powered.
Thanks!
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Mid-priced? Hmmm. Since Mackie 450's are around 600, let's go from cheao to expensive: Meyer non-powered UPA's (used) are around $750 each, which is a steal. Same for Apogee AE-5s.
New Meyer CQ-1s & UPA-1P's (both powered) are great, so are UP-J speakers (10" instead of 12" and the same 2" HF driver as the UPA)

What else: EAW JF200s, d&b E9's.

Good luck!
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Addict

Been using RCF ART 300s for year's, I'm a big fan. They come powered and passive, so you can pick what works best for you. They are nice a flat response without that boomy 125hz resonance the JBLs have.
Just watch the weight....the one thing I like about the JBLs is that I can carry 2 at once and not kill myself. The powered 300s are pretty heavy.
As for mixers, can't go past an a+h mixwix for 16ch. if you need 24, check out yamaha's new MG series. 16mono, 4 stereo plus decent onboard effects. Fun tap delay, too.
Old 9th August 2005
Here for the gear

I woould second the RCF ART series (now made by Mackie under there industrial label). Ihave used the ART 200's for quite a few years and love them. I have both the ART200's and JBL eon15's, the ART's with a 12"woofer eat the JBLs up for clarity. I bought mine used for about 450 each.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks to all Slutz who responded!

The Arts DO look a little like Mackies. The 450 almost. But they sound better? I noticed they are a little more expensive. I'm a big fan of the phrase "you get what you pay for". I'm also trying to listen to the JBL MPro 412. But it's no going to be easy as the local G.C. only carries the 212 series. I'm happy to hear that there are alternatives.
Jim,
I'm sure the Meyers sound beautiful. But WOW-$$$$$$$$!
Please keep em coming as I will be listening for a while.

Don
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Meyer is indeed a perfect example of "you get what you pay for". Sorry it's out of your budget.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Yamahas, they work really well, and are pretty affordable. Mine are 12" woofers with a horn, I think I paid about $225 a piece, and got the stands thrown in for free.

Avoid Crate like the plague, of course. Friends of mine bought a pair and have blown them twice. New drivers should help prevent future problems for them, but their budget speakers actually cost more than much nicer boxes would have...
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

If you are a big fan of, "You get what you pay for", then feast your eyes and desires on these babies. I have a set of the W-803s and a set of the SR-823s. They are worth every frigging cent!

Daedalus Audio

I use them for live PA as well as reference recording monitors and they are simply stunning!
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

mate, they look WAY too pretty to be draggin to the sort of gigs I do!! They sure "read" nice though, would be great to have half a dozen for "nice" corporate gigs and such.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Don, the JBL MPRO 412s get lots of nice words at PSW LAB forums http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/i/0. I strongly urge you do searches there if you haven't already. I'd also look at Yorkville L368 3-way with a 6" mid and a 12" bass, 58 lbs., about the same price at around $580/pr new. Good hunting.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Here's a PSW LAB thread on JBL SRX 712s: http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/7577/0
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

You should give these a try- http://www.yorkville.com/products.as...9&cat=2&id=103
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

The PA I use for two ensembles I'm a part of is real nice. We don't play very loudly, by contemporary standards. The genre is contemporary folk. Program material contains acoustic guitars (piezo DI + sdc), voices (Neumann KSM 105's), upright bass (piezo DI + AT 4050), percussion (sdc + dynamic), pedal steel (mic on amp), and brass (Sennheiser MD421-II). The goal is a clean accurate sound. The mixing board is a Mackie 1604VLZ; main speakers are Mackie HR824's which are stand mounted. Monitors are Yamaha MSR100. Rack mount hardware includes Behringer eq's (DEQ2496), DBX 160 compressors, and Lexicon LPX15-II's. The sound quality is absurd, actually. The Mackie HR824's are transported in flight cases because they're really not made for this type of work, but they more than cut it sonically.

Best wishes,

John-
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Samuel,

Thanks! That's what I'm looking for! I found about 3 models in that price range. The Yorville are 3 way - cool. People are raving about the U-15, But it's a thousand and 80 lbs. Also the EAW JFX series is loved by a couple friends, just a little expensive at 1600 a piece.
But here are the choices so far: and all come with matching subs if I need them.

MPro412
EAW FR129Z
Yorkville 368.

Now to find a dealer were I can hear the Yorkvilles. Does anyone know of a rep in the NYC/North Jersey Area?

Don
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
mate, they look WAY too pretty to be draggin to the sort of gigs I do!! They sure "read" nice though, would be great to have half a dozen for "nice" corporate gigs and such.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S
Samuel,

Thanks! That's what I'm looking for! I found about 3 models in that price range. The Yorville are 3 way - cool. People are raving about the U-15, But it's a thousand and 80 lbs. Also the EAW JFX series is loved by a couple friends, just a little expensive at 1600 a piece.
But here are the choices so far: and all come with matching subs if I need them.

MPro412
EAW FR129Z
Yorkville 368.

Now to find a dealer were I can hear the Yorkvilles. Does anyone know of a rep in the NYC/North Jersey Area?

Don

FWIW, the 500P is a better deal then the 368- they are powered and have a 2" horn instead of a 1" horn. Much better IMO. But I like headroom....
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Cob,

Yes - you're right! I just got off the phone with a dealer. Apparently this guy thought the L368 was a dog from the start. And oddly enough are discontinued in 2005 catalog!
THE 500P looks great, Now just deciding to go powered or unpowered. According to the dealer, the E-12 can be pushed a little harder and has a birch box instead of plastic. But the price is amazing - 700 for the 500P. Dealer says it blows Mackies and Eons out the water.

Thanks again!

Don
Now - an amp! Any suggestions - Crown XS series?
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Don,

I would strongly urge you to check out the SLS stuff before you lay your money down. Ribbons rule for acoustic based PA work!

link
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cob,

Yes - you're right! I just got off the phone with a dealer. Apparently this guy thought the L368 was a dog from the start. And oddly enough are discontinued in 2005 catalog!
THE 500P looks great, Now just deciding to go powered or unpowered. According to the dealer, the E-12 can be pushed a little harder and has a birch box instead of plastic. But the price is amazing - 700 for the 500P. Dealer says it blows Mackies and Eons out the water...
Don, nothing against Cob's experience or any Yorkville, but a 15" crossed over at 2k+ will NOT do vocals right, regardless of what any dealer says. Sure you'll hear them, and they'll be loud, but a 15" is just too slow to reproduce midrange. They're OK for rock 'n rollers who don't give a @#$% about anybody's voice or acoustic instruments. Now I know that many PA operators just don't have the financial choice and must go with big 2-ways, but really, mid drivers and the bigger box only add around 20% to the cost of an otherwise 2-way box. Now, ribbons mating with a 15" down at 500 or so is another matter. Just my 2 cents, thanks. Sam
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel L. Lord
Don, nothing against Cob's experience or any Yorkville, but a 15" crossed over at 2k+ will NOT do vocals right, regardless of what any dealer says.
You should listen to them, because my experience is that they will do vocals just fine....
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Samuel and Cob,

I've heard that 12'' drivers deliver good sounding vocals. I'm looking at the 550P and the E12 both have 12's not 15's. Plus they weigh less. I'm a single engineer on these gigs.
The E12 crosses over at 1900K. The 550P is biamped and crosses at 2300. Not sure if this makes a huge difference. I have yet to hear any of these monitors. I'm hoping my ears will sort out some of the numbers. I've only worked with and have the buget for the Mackie 450 or G215 Eon. Both don't impress and happy that there are alternatives for not much more money.
Samuel, Not sure I can afford the SLS. They look pretty high end. Thanks for info! There don't seem to be too many choices in my budget for a 3 way.

Don
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Samuel, Not sure I can afford the SLS. They look pretty high end. Thanks for info! There don't seem to be too many choices in my budget for a 3 way.
I'm not Samuel, but you're welcome! See if you can find a dealer and get some pricing before you decide they're too expensive. You might be in for a shock as I've found them to be very reasonably priced.

Good Luck.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
You should listen to them, because my experience is that they will do vocals just fine....
You're right, I should. Prejudice is a bad teacher...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search