The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Utrasone Headphones on Location - Handling Noise
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Addict

Talking Utrasone Headphones on Location - Handling Noise

I use my Ultrasone HiFi650 headphones for location sound.

I have a pair of ProLine 750 that I use in the studio.

My issue is this:

The ProLine 750 are a bit creaky, for lack of a better term. I mean that when adjusting the headphones, uncupping one ear to check ambient sound issues, etc., the hard plastic yoke/hinges make noise.

The HiFi 650 does NOT do this, or at least not nearly as much.

I'm thinking of getting the ProLine650 since I like the coiled/detachable cable, but am worried that if they are like the ProLine750 in terms of creaky plastic handling noises, they will be a problem.

(I work for the BBC, PBS, National Geographic, etc., and it's not acceptable for the sound guy to make noise when he adjusts his headphones during an exclusive interview with the President of Germany or whomever.)

My old location standards such as the 7506 and the DT-770 are very quiet in terms of handling/adjusting noise, but I've grown to like the sonics of the Ultrasones....

Can anyone shed any light on this, i.e. are the ProLine650 as "quiet" as the HiFi650 in terms of handling noise? Does anyone else find the ProLine750 to be "noisy?"

Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

I see what you mean. The Proline 750's I have do seem to creak more than the HFI 700.

I'll talk to Ultrasone and report back with their reply.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

I received this from Ultrasone today:

Dear Mr. Poss,

We know the problem of creaking headbands, but it only appears at the first production lot. The problem is caused by the type of plastic, which we have improved after the first lot. So the new headphones don`t have that problem. But I don´t know if your supplier has already the improved one. To check that, please contact ULTRASONE USA:

ULTRASONE of America, LLC
220 2nd Avenue South
Franklin, Tenessee TN 37064
USA

Tel: +1 (615) 599 4719
Fax: +1 (615) 599 5493

Mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.ultrasoneusa.com

If any further question, please let me know.

Best regards,

A. Veitinger
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I wonder if they'll swap an old pair for new or if they're directing us to buy new ones.

'spose I'd best call.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscurse
I use my Ultrasone HiFi650 headphones for location sound.

I have a pair of ProLine 750 that I use in the studio.

My issue is this:

The ProLine 750 are a bit creaky, for lack of a better term. I mean that when adjusting the headphones, uncupping one ear to check ambient sound issues, etc., the hard plastic yoke/hinges make noise.
Don't know about the 650/750, but I just got a pair of ProLine 2500's from Mercenary a week or so ago and they don't creak FWIW...

Ken
Old 11th November 2007
Gear Head

Too bad all the proline stuff sounds like a dog's asshole.

Rake.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search