The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Millennia HV3 and Gordon mic preamps
Old 23rd April 2015
Lives for gear

The Gordon has NO negative feedback in the audio pathway!

I have 8 channels of the Gordon and can't imagine finding any preamp more transparent.
I specialize in live sound and live recording of acoustic music
(Vocals and acoustic instruments off all types and from all over the world).
With good mics (eg MKH 8040/8050, Josephson C617)
I just find the right position and turn up the Gordon and I'm done. Never heard any preamp noise (even when micing a bouzouki from 5' away-it's a long story).
Old 23rd April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
It is a different design topology than the traditional voltage feedback audio designs. The amplifier's bandwidth is set by the current across feedback resistors, not voltage. There are no bandlimiting capacitors besides the rf traps used on the front end. Bandwidth is 30 mhz and maintains that huge bandwidth even at +60 db of gain.
Voltage feedback designs (all of the rest of the mic preamps out there) suffer from reduced bandwidth vs higher gain. This is partially why many of them degrade specs at higher gains, they run out of loop gain bandwidth.
Current feedback amplifiers sound more like a tube in the low end, mostly 2nd and 4th harmonics. Voltage feedback transistor designs tend to show mostly odd harmonics with the 3rd and 5th being dominate. It's almost impossible to describe the sonics of current feedback audio designs as most have never heard them. Wire with gain or clear water sound is used occasionally.
Hi and thanks a lot for the very interesting explanation
I would like to ask something but i am afraid to sound silly as all these topics are completely out of my reach.
Just one ... i was associating the idea of the " Wire with gain " with the absence of distortion of any order, even if i know that odd order distortion is much more annoying than even order distortion. But distortion is still distortion, in the end.
Thanks again, gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 23rd April 2015 at 09:46 PM..
Old 23rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Current feedback amplifiers sound more like a tube in the low end, mostly 2nd and 4th harmonics. Voltage feedback transistor designs tend to show mostly odd harmonics with the 3rd and 5th being dominate. It's almost impossible to describe the sonics of current feedback audio designs as most have never heard them. Wire with gain or clear water sound is used occasionally.
Gracedesign use current feedback. Any grace owner would know...
Old 24th April 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Gracedesign use current feedback. Any grace owner would know...
http://www.gracedesign.com/press/pdf/801R_AM.pdf

"The input amplifier is based around a monolithic, low- noise instrumentation amplifier (I believe an INA103). The gain core sections are transimpedance or “current feedback” amplifiers. The balanced output stage features
two high-speed transimpedance amplifiers operating in class AB mode, which are capable of driving long cable runs and load impedances down to 50W."

Last edited by Adorno; 24th April 2015 at 12:16 PM..
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
http://www.gracedesign.com/press/pdf/801R_AM.pdf

"The input amplifier is based around a monolithic, low- noise instrumentation amplifier (I believe an INA103). The gain core sections are transimpedance or “current feedback” amplifiers. The balanced output stage features
two high-speed transimpedance amplifiers operating in class AB mode, which are capable of driving long cable runs and load impedances down to 50W."
Typeo, that should be 50 Ohms, not W..
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

The Gordon output can drive an 8ohm load! With an adaptor cable I can listen directly to the output with headphones.
Old 25th April 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
The Gordon output can drive an 8ohm load! With an adaptor cable I can listen directly to the output with headphones.
I assume a Crookwood Paintpot can do the same. Is that a quality argument for a microphone preamp?
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use phones often to quickly check for a signal, but most are NOT 8 ohm, 80 to 600 is more like it...
Old 26th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
I assume a Crookwood Paintpot can do the same. Is that a quality argument for a microphone preamp?
No, just replying to previous post about the specs on the Millenia.
The Gordon has many quality
features: eg no negative feedback in the signal pathway, 2 mega ohm impedance on input, output circuit that senses what it is feeding and automatically adjusts to optimize the output, and others.
Best to call Grant directly.
He is happy to explain all the other quality features in his design.
Old 26th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
I use phones often to quickly check for a signal, but most are NOT 8 ohm, 80 to 600 is more like it...
A good point.
More to the point, the Gordon can directly drive a speaker (though not to high volume).
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
A good point.
More to the point, the Gordon can directly drive a speaker (though not to high volume).
The 990 makes a GREAT Phone amp, drives 75 Ohms with very little problem..
250mA into 75 Ohms...
Old 27th May 2015
Soundog,

First, thank you for sharing the sound files and taking the time to record the tracks *thumbs*

Having read the excited reviews of the Gordon, and being fairly well acquainted with Millennia products, a few A/Bs of the tracks had me figuring A had to be the Gordon.

What has me confused though, is I hear a richer bottom end from A while every one else seems to be hearing more in track B.

Other observations...Nicer separation in the voices and a little lift of air on A.

I am experiencing the hintiest hint of a nasal component during the inspiration before the head on B, while on track A, the breath does not seem to have this, and sounds more detailed, probably from the slightly airier top.

This breath component is ultra subtle, and this is through a couple sets of cans...

Lastly, the middle harmonies sound a bit better balanced on track A, while on track B they seem a bit low, or masked, of course this could simply be vocal output.

Well, that's what I hear anyhow *shrug*

Thank you once again, very interesting!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search