The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good live tom mics.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Question Good live tom mics.

Looking for two tom mics to use live with my kit. Just need one for a rack tom and one for a floor tom. Been looking at the Sennheiser E604. They are a good price new and used. I would like them on rim mounts if possible to make set up easier. How are the Audix mics? D2, D3 ect.... Thanks.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

Audix D2's and D4's sound great. Also the D-6 sounds really good too. They are all hypercardoid so they work well for minimizing cymbal bleed.

Beez
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks. I don't want some anemic mic. I know the E604's get a good rap but just want to weigh the alternatives. D2 for rack tom and D4 for floor tom?
Old 28th July 2005

I've seen small mics mounted inside the drums as well. I didn't have time to check what they were. I plugged them in and ran back to FOH.

They sounded good.

-tINY

Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

I believe those are a May system. They give you mic options but I don't want to carve up an $8000 custom drumkit. I am going to check out the Audix mics but it would be nice to have something useable in the studio. I have 421's right now but it would be nice to add another flavour that works live but in the studio too if needed.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

The EV ND 468 are awesome.... Also hypercardioid, so a minimum of cymbal bleed.

The Shure Beta 98 is nice too, although it has more high end than the EV. A little too much in my view. The EV is more mid, but gives you a lot of tone and punch. Another bad thing about the Shure is that it's very fragile. If your drummer hits it, you're f*cked.

If you already like the E 604, you'll love these. The Sennheiser E 604 sucks balls i.m.h.o. MD 421 is always very nice though.

K&M make very nice rim mount clamps that you can use with the EV...
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

My personal opinion on live tom mics is pretty gruff as I don't think the "sound" of the mic will shine in venues driven by systems catering for under 1000 people.

I know you didn't need to hear that from anyone (considering you already own 2 classic "Sennies")!!

Just my 0.2c as I do a lot of live sound work and for MOST small (non-tech rider) gigs, I throw anything at the toms and they are basically there and for this reason I wouldn't go anywhere past some good old cliched 57's, which always have a place in studios.

If I were in your shoes, I would look at mics to complement your existing mic pallette for both studio and live work, so how about an Audio Technica ATM25 on the FT (nice optional kick mic) and the E604 on the RT (nice optional snare mic)??

Cheers
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDutch
The EV ND 468 are awesome.... Also hypercardioid, so a minimum of cymbal bleed.

If your drummer hits it, you're f*cked.

If you already like the E 604, you'll love these. The Sennheiser E 604 sucks balls i.m.h.o. MD 421 is always very nice though.

K&M make very nice rim mount clamps that you can use with the EV...
Thanks for the tips. I have actually never tried the E604, just heard good things about them. All I have ever used to record tome were 421's and some Beta 56's which were ok. I just want my own live tom mics. Leave em clipped to the rim and when it's time to put my kit onstage the mics are already there with somewhat of a consistent sound (depending on who is behind the console). Are the EV's still available? I dont want to spend a fortune so I will check out prices.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
My personal opinion on live tom mics is pretty gruff as I don't think the "sound" of the mic will shine in venues driven by systems catering for under 1000 people.

I know you didn't need to hear that from anyone (considering you already own 2 classic "Sennies")!!

Just my 0.2c as I do a lot of live sound work and for MOST small (non-tech rider) gigs, I throw anything at the toms and they are basically there and for this reason I wouldn't go anywhere past some good old cliched 57's, which always have a place in studios.

If I were in your shoes, I would look at mics to complement your existing mic pallette for both studio and live work, so how about an Audio Technica ATM25 on the FT (nice optional kick mic) and the E604 on the RT (nice optional snare mic)??

Cheers
There is a used e604 at my local music shop for about $130 Canadian. Like you mentioned, I heard these are ok on the snare sometimes too so it could give me a different snare option in the studio. I use some Gefell UM70's on my toms sometimes but only when I am playing. Don't want some hack smashing an expensive condenser. I just got sick of using spent mics and lousy cheap mounting systems playing live in my city so I am just going to get my own mics. Thanks for the tips.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

I'm a big fan of the e604s. I think they have a new version out as well. Too hungover to look it up now, but the e604s are definately a sweet tom mic live. A really great recording engineer around here with some major credits swears by them on toms.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I too have had great experiences with the Senn 504 (now probably a 904) which is based on the 421 diaphragm. Good, inexpensive clip mic. I own six of these and six D2 mics which are my first pref for toms, I like D4 on a floor tom if it's going to be in the subs live (big difference if you want just the attack of the tom or the body and ring of the tom as well) and I think you will enjoy using either the D2/D4 combination or the Senn 504/604. WHile many people request the Shure Beta98 capsules, you'll find more busted than working and lots of missing parts. I still keep six of 'em around but think they sound less good than a beta 57.

YMMV!

Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Just checked out the EV ND468. They are a little expensive for me. Around $200 US so that translates to about $250 ea in Canadian $$$. Maybe used ones but they could be worn and bashed already. My local music shop has some Audix mics that have been there forever so maybe I can score a deal on them.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Shure sm98's.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Any impressions on the Sennheiser E904? Did a search here and can't find any info on Gearslutz.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

One more thing to keep in mind. I like to place smaller mics on rack toms because lots of drummers like to play with lower cymbals. So thats another plus for e604's or Audix D series mics.

How you would place 2 421's live is beyond me. I have enough problems with 57's, but 421's, no thanks!

To answer your question about the way I use D2's and D4's. I would do higher pitched toms D2's and lower pitched toms D4. The D4 makes a nice kick mic too. My band is recording right now and ended up with a D2 on the first rack tom, a D4 on the second rack tom, and a Peavey 520i on the floor tom.

Personally I would go for some easy to place and durable mics, so I'd say e604's or Audix D's. I have heard the Ev's and they are awesome too. You really need to try a D6 on kick though. They are awesome!

Beez
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use a 12" x 9" rack tom and a 16" x 16" floor tom and my cymbals are pretty low as well. When I record my kit and use my old 421N's I have to raise the cymbals a bit. I dont feel like hauling around my old vintage 421N's so they never leave the studio space. For kick live I am not too concerned. Every club I play at in town has a decent kick mic. Usually a 421 or a Beta 52. If it is a D112 I cringe, but deal with it.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

Really, I would cringe at a Beta52!!! Hehe

Beez
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezoboy
Really, I would cringe at a Beta52!!! Hehe

Beez
Ha! Yeah, everything is so subjective. I like my D12E but then again, do I want to take a vintage mic to a gig? I can just envision that crappy plastic frame on the D12 snapping when my bass player steps on it.
Old 29th July 2005

The ND 468 is probably worth a few extra bucks. It sounds good, and the swivel head gives you some slick mounting options.

-tINY

Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
If I were in your shoes, I would look at mics to complement your existing mic pallette for both studio and live work, so how about an Audio Technica ATM25 on the FT (nice optional kick mic) and the E604 on the RT (nice optional snare mic)??Cheers
That is a good idea. Someone mentioned the Studio Projects B1 condensers as being good tom mics too. They are pretty cheap and since there is no smoking bylaws in all the bars and clubs I don't have to worry about smoke residue coating the capsule.
Old 31st July 2005
Here for the gear

The Audix mics

Be careful with the audix mics. I think they can sound clicky in a live situation. Placement will help but a sound guy might turn your toms into clicks.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

beta 56a all the way, they sound excelent nice small package or beta57a if you want a more versitile allround package they use the same capsule and the hardend grill will survive alot of abuse. or just stick with good old 57s you cant go wrong with them. dont even consider LDC on toms live, condensers and phantom power can be a real pain and LDC are just to fragile for live abuse. beta 98 and similar can be good but i dont think they are worth it just stick with good dynamics.

personly i havnt been to impressed with audix or EV mics live but as said its very subjective and depends on how you use it
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Nut

Beyerdynamic Opus 87 is one of my favorites. Since it is a condenser mic, it may have little more leakage from cymbals, but nevertheless I have never had any problems with it. Audix D 2 is also pretty good. For some reason I don't like the low end of Sennheiser's e604.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Keep them coming. thumbsup the E604 might be the best bet. They have a nice compact size and rim mount system.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
Shure sm98's.
i used these for a gig a month ago for a metal band and the drumer hit one hard enough for the mic to come out the clip but it still sound great i would say shure mics were easy to break i've seen people use sm58's as drum stick before and they still work ( dinted windshield)
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

i tried 604's once in a studio environment. i said, "wow... these sound just like i put 57's on the toms. that was interesting. now, let's go put up some 421's so the toms will actually sound good"

granted, there's a whole lot more to consider dealing with the live scenario, but i wasn't impressed.

--jon
Old 12th August 2005
Here for the gear

SE Electronics SE2a! in box with spider and 3 modules: hypercardi/cardi/omni
Incredible value for money
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

SM-98 Shure

Try the Shure Sm-98s or (98a)
Easy to position, Super cardiod....
And they get the attack of the drum really well because of the mounting system.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I've heard the SM98's sound really good on jazz kits. I've also done several sessions recently where the engineer (I was assisting) used Audio Technica ATM25's and they sounded fantastic. Being a large diaphragm dynamic, the ATM25's are good workhorses for other things as well, such as an inside kick mic, which has also yielded good results in the past. I would vote for the ATM25 thumbsup

I guess I should maybe mention that these were recording sessions.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've had 3 e604s for a while now. In the studio, I'd just use SM57s (or preferably MD421s if your budget mertis) as opposed to these, I've never been able to get very good tone out of them. Also, the clips can vibrate a lot along with the toms, which can sound weird. They do the job in a live situation, tho. I've watched drummers smack them as hard as they can, and they keep coming back for more. Also, I've found they work very well for beatboxing. Gets good performances. Must be the compact design. I don't have personal experience with the Audix mics, but if you're looking for a mic that you can use and abuse time and time again, and that will get the job done live, the e604 is a decent way to go.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search