The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Transparent signal splitting
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Question Transparent signal splitting

Hi All,

After recording classical remotes for more than 10 years I find myself needing to understand signal multing and splitting more for some new work. Could anyone give me a recommendation on the most sonically transparent and reliable way to mult one line level signal into 2. It is imperative that the split be completely transparent sonically - is this possible?

Thanks,
Silas
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Difficult, but not impossible

The best way to do this is active electronics that utilize a circuit to balance the load and maintain impedance.

Earthworks Audio 1024 mic pre has dual outputs, both active, super-clean and same impedance. Or call Millenia Media and discuss the HV3 (eight channel) unit with dual direct outputs. Custom, but great sounding.

If you wish more than two identical outputs I suggest you demo the following units:
XTA DS-800 active splitter
Klark-Teknik DN1248
I hope this helps!
Jim van Bergen
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Nut

He wants to split line level so an audio DA would be a more economical route. I don't know how they would color the sound.
Do both sides of the split need to be as transparent as possible or could one side be a little less pristeen? Perhaps a passive splitter with an iso transformer on the other side? It seems to me that the only way to keep the signal exactly the same is to not run it through any electronics. What about a loop out of your recording device as the split?
Without knowing more about the particular situation it is hard to make a specific recommendation.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hello Silas,

I've had that same issue come up many times. And as suggested in previous posts, found that a digital split is really the most effiecient. I use modded converters that will send signals in any platform simulatiously. While not a "money converter", I've kept some less popular converters in my rig specificly for the purpose of splitting.

Don
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Jim, Boomed and Don,

Thanks for the replies! Hi to DonS! I hope all is well.
The specifics are that I find myself in more studios these days so interfacing becomes an issue. I bring in my own mic pres and want to go to their PT system at 96kHz and also have a backup running on my Alesis HD24. Some studios are able to do this (DL Mult) while others are completely puzzled (y cables!). Also thanks to Digidesign there are never enough AES IO on the interfaces to daisy chain digital and I understand that the optical outs are not able to handle high sample rates...I'll look into your suggestions.

Best,
Silas

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search