The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Millennia Media or DPA power supply for the 4003s?
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Question Millennia Media or DPA power supply for the 4003s?

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if you could contribute your thoughts on wheather one should get the DPA power supply (HMA5000) for the DPA 4003s microphones or get the Millennia Media HV3 with the 130v option.

Thank you
Sunflute.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflute
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if you could contribute your thoughts on wheather one should get the DPA power supply (HMA5000) for the DPA 4003s microphones or get the Millennia Media HV3 with the 130v option.

Thank you
Sunflute.

get the fred forsell FETcode

www.forsselltech.com/
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have just gone through the same dillemma. It is actually cheaper to get 4 dpa units than one 8 channel millennia with the 130v option. However, with the millennia you get a great preamp that works for everything else as well.
There are those who believe you should use a preamp in addition to the HMA and simply consider the HMA the equivalent of schoeps amplifyer body.
Our choice fell on the millennia. I would like to hear what you end up getting, and how you like it as we are getting more channels soon.
Avalon and EAR both make a pre with DPA 130v.
If you can line all four up that would of course be the best, but thats not easy as few have all three.
Maybe if Erik Sikkema sees this he can share his viewpoint.

Kjetil Laukholm
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Just found out that Grace Design released the m802 which has a 130v option. Finally a real alternative to the Millennia.

kjetil
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm
Just found out that Grace Design released the m802 which has a 130v option. Finally a real alternative to the Millennia.

kjetil

any web links?
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm

kjetil
There's nothing on the Grace Website about an 802? Did you read some sort of press release or something?

Please let us know, thank you....
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Sunflute,

We prefer the Millennia solution over the B&K preamps. I have not tried the 5000 with 4003s but we did prefer the Millennia sound over the previous versions. The gain possibilities on the HMA5000 are quite limited. I believe it is just 0, +10, +20 (maybe -10 also?). Very difficult to get the exact gain staging especially when there are other mics in the air. We would end up running the HMA low and then feeding it into the Millennia anyway to adjust fine gain. I have not tried the Grace option but I know that there is one. Try speaking with them in person. There are many good people at Grace, Mike included.

Best Wishes,
Silas
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

I corresponded with Doug Wood at Grace design. There are no links that I know of.
I don't want to post a quote from him without his permission, but he was unusually quick about answering my questions in detail.
My dealer said it is possible to order them right now. I am about to as soon as I hear from someone who has heard one.

I can say this much - they want much less for the 130v option than millennia charges (ca$50 less per channel) they come in paurs, but thats no biggie.
I would think Tom Lazarus would have tried one by now. Maybe he can chime in (if he hangs out here that is..)

kjetil
Old 11th August 2005
The Millenia is a true preamp with a large gain range and BurrBrown 604 based. The B+K boxes are really line amps based on a 5534 opamp (older versions) or an Analog Devices AD797 opamp. The switch gain range is limited. I would prefer vaiable gain as the 10 db steps on the B+K box will either de-rate the signal to noise ratio or cause overload problems depending on the position selected.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

WOW!!!
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Another bit of good news is that Millennia is releasing HV-3D/R - a remote controlled version controlled over ethernet in WinXP. It will ship at years end.
So which one to get
millennia with remote or...grace with remote... both....

Kjetil

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search