The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midas Venice and Crest XR series
Old 28th March 2003
Midas Venice and Crest XR series

Hello everybody,
I'm planning in a near future a big upgrade in my studio, but right now I'm starting to get confused, maybe you can help me.
Firsr I want to know how the preamps on those little boards sound...
And then I would love to hear comments on those "upgrade plans"

What I have now:
Digi 001
Tascam 2524 mixer
korg 880 A/D 18bit converter
Joe Meek VC6
DBX 166 blackface

Plan 1:
Sell the Korg and the Tascam
Get a nice 8ch A/D/A converter (8824, ADI-8 Pro or the RAMSA one)
Get a nice 2ch A/D (9624)
Get a nice 2ch D/A (9624 or the benchmark one)
Get the Sytek MPX-4, a RNP and look for another 2/4 ch unit (API, Sebatron, Vintech)
Get a RNP and a Klark Technik quad comp.
mix all in the box...

Plan 2:
Same thing as above but instead of getting the outboard pres, get a mixer like the Venice or the XR series so I could track and mix thru the mixer and back to PT

Plan 3:
Same as plan 1 but adding a summing hardware like the D2B LT, but now, I need to know what else I'll need so I could have talkback, listen to CD player, etc... all those tasks the the mixer do

Thanks for any input
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Maniac

We use a Midas Venice in our live rigs and this console absolutely rocks. We replaced a Mackie 32x8 with Venice and the pres in Midas make the Mackie sound like they were broken. The pres are great on drums and bass guitars and the EQ is very, very nice. A truly remarkable console for the money.

For the studio they would be nice to have, but I still think you would want some external mic pres for some different colors. One pre usually isn't the be all end all for everything.
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Head

I totally agree with the Venice post. We are about to buy our third 24 channel Venice. They sound amazing. They are so open, the EQ is VERY powerful, yet very musical at the same time. They are a little short on features, but at $3800 for a 24 mono 4 stereo little desk, it has an incredible price to performance ratio. I haul one with me to every show I do incase I get there and there is a Mackie sitting out. I have actually considered tossing a couple of them in my studio, but am probably going with an older, larger, more robust console instead.

Those little Venices though are quite the board. I have already had 3 shows so far where the artist bought my venice used from me immediately following the show
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

We're going to give the Venice a test drive for a few weeks in our studio. Primarily as a summing console.....I'll give a report back ....
Old 31st March 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
We're going to give the Venice a test drive for a few weeks in our studio. Primarily as a summing console.....I'll give a report back ....
I'm REALLY looking foward to it... what's your setup in the studio?
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

bassbass

the venice desk blows away everything in it's price range.

A bunch of us A/B'ed a ghost and a venice recently in a project studio.
Man, the venice was clearer, the eq was fatter and the desk was about half the size of the ghost.
I like crest desks too, but the venice is still better.
My only complaint is the short throw faders, but it's really not an issue for studio stuff.

The pre's are really nice.
It's at the top of my "Things to buy" list.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

I've used the Venice live, never in the studio. I liked it but had a few PSUs go out on me at the wrong time. Prolly was the poor handling by the rental co. but...
Old 31st March 2003
How do you guys compare it's pres to other "studio" pres?
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: bassbass

Quote:
Originally posted by theom
the venice desk blows away everything in it's price range.

A bunch of us A/B'ed a ghost and a venice recently in a project studio.
Man, the venice was clearer, the eq was fatter and the desk was about half the size of the ghost.
I like crest desks too, but the venice is still better.
My only complaint is the short throw faders, but it's really not an issue for studio stuff.

The pre's are really nice.
It's at the top of my "Things to buy" list.
This Is the stuff I wanted to hear, thanks for the info!!

Any other observations, are cool...
Old 1st April 2003
Gear Head

In addition to only having 60mm faders, the phantom power switch is on the back of each channel which is just an inconvenience. Also, there is no pad or phase revers on it. The other thing I don't like is the aux assignment. Only two of the auxilliary busses are actually pre/post assignable.

But for under $4k for 28 preamps, nothing else even comes close! Honestly, I think you will be pleasently surprised by how well its pres and EQ's will hold up against other preamps. I am not giving any of my venices up
Old 2nd April 2003
I don't really care about the auxes pre/post problem, but the phantom, pad and phase things really bugs me... but you know... I still want one...
I'm thinking about the Venice 160...
Old 2nd April 2003
Gear Maniac

Yes, no pad and no phase reverse switch really bothers me and the phantom on the back kind of bugs me. But the sound is killer especially for the price. I would really like to see them make an 8-bus console out of this with a 4 pre/4 post auxes and 100mm faders and the pad and phase reverse switch. I bet that they couldn't make them fast enough. Add a set of tape returns on it and look out.
Old 2nd April 2003
Cool... so you guys have compared it w/ a Ghost and a 32.8...
I wander how it compares w/ the RNP or Syteks...
Old 4th April 2003
bump...
RNP vs Venice? someone?
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jkasko
I would really like to see them make an 8-bus console out of this with a 4 pre/4 post auxes and 100mm faders and the pad and phase reverse switch. I bet that they couldn't make them fast enough. Add a set of tape returns on it and look out.
Isn't that called a Heritage 2000, Heritage 3000, XL3, XL4, XL250, Legend
Old 6th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Those are all modular designs, with VCA's and mucho aux sends and cost mega bucks. I think an 8-bus design based off of the Venice would be absolutely awesome.
Old 11th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
Hey, where are you w/ the report? If you can, try to compare the pres w/ something else
Old 11th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Hey, where are you w/ the report? If you can, try to compare the pres w/ something else
We went ahead and purchased....should be here in about 3 days. I'll post then.
Old 12th April 2003

Hi, I just took delivery of a venice 160 to use for remote recording. So far, I've only been testing it with Cd's and headphones. real clean with great eq and DAMN it's heavy. Found exactly the right case for it on ebay for $40 (got major lucky on that one) and have taken off the side and front trim to got it snug in the case. Gonna do a live 2 track mix (choirs with varying additional musicians) and simultaneous 6 to 8 track recording to Fostex D824. Hope it holds up well and I hold up lugging it around. Cheers, Rick
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

we picked our up today (160) but dammit I have to go outta town for the weekend....I'll report back.
we open the doors on the new room next thursday.
Old 12th April 2003
Yeah, man, I'm really anxious to hear about the 160...
What other pre amps do you have on the studio?
Congrats about your new toy! And good luck!
Old 12th April 2003
Super Moderator

I just took delivery of a Venice 320. The second one is coming next month.

Man, this mixer rocks! I really like the sound and functionality of the unit.

The mic pre's and EQ's sound wonderful for its price range. A real bang for buck mixer. The phantom switch on the back doesn't bother me as much as no phase reverse button. We carry plenty of XLR barrels; phase reverse, pads, etc. with us, so it's no biggie.

I got a great lead on the Midas - Venice series. Best prices around. If anyone's interested, email or PM me.
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

Steve, how major a live sound gig would you put the venice on? I have a buddy who is putting together a tour package and he only needs around 30 inputs.. the footprint loks nice, but will he miss a " full blown" mixer?
Old 13th April 2003
Super Moderator

We have been involved with a recent major live gig that used the Venice. When we recorded the Russell Watson / MeatLoaf gig at the Vanderbilt in LI, NY for a BBC documentary on Russell, Scorpio Sound used one by the monitor desk as a side car for the DA88 tracks that were part of the show. I believe there was a second one at FOH, but I'm not sure. When I asked George; Meats FOH engineer what he thought about the desk, he had only great things to say about the desk. That's what finally convinced me to go with the mixer. I've been looking for a desk like that for a while now. It's perfect for the kind of stuff we do.

If you need a lot of aux sends, a serious matrix and/or many busses, the Venice will not do. When it comes to the sound quality and EQ power, it does the trick just right, with a few short comings that have already been mentioned in this thread.

For me, it was about the sound, power and footprint of this mixer. When we get put into situations where there's not enough space, it's a great relief. If necessary, we add a K/T XL88 matrix mixer, bring a few XLR barrels for pads and phase revs and we're set.

Don't get me wrong, the Venice is no replacement for a large frame live sound console if you're looking for all the bells and whistles. The Venice is a great sounding and useful tool when you don't have the space and time to make a big rig work for you. Great as a side car, opening act mixer, playback desk and/or for a band (or engineer) that doesn't mind a few missing features of a big console.
Old 15th April 2003
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

the Venice rocks...bout to put first one in small PT studio...Prism converter n True 8...Daking EQ/API 550
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

Who woulda thunk?

Considering the rave reviews from users and the value for money, this desk really sounds like something I should check out.

Would love to know how it would work out as a summing mixer a la D2B.

Cheers for the tip.

R.
Old 22nd April 2003
Craaaaaaig, where are you!?
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Craaaaaaig, where are you!?
We got it (the 160) and used it for drum summing and to track some piano thru last nite.

Sounds good. Preamps are "hot" and the eq is really effective.
Lot's of bells n whistles for a console in this range.

I can't really say what the pre amps sound like compared to anything particular except the c24 Focusrite pre's. Much nicer all around. Kinda tough for me to really assess 'cause we're in a new room and I've not really acclimated (and the bass trapping needs to be done) but biggest upgrade to my ears is the Mytek conversion and clocking of or old 888's.

I was going my word of mouth as far as the supperiority of convertors other than stock 888's and was praying that I'd hear the difference in a BIG way.

It's true....in an a/b comparison between the Mytek and the 888's.......no comparison. we gotta figure out how to get another, or just never track more than 8 at once....
I'll try to give a little better review on the Venice in a couple of weeks but so far so good.
as far as comparing to the D2b I don't think we'll be able to get to that for a bit....time to generate some POSITIVE cash flow......
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

Ok , we shot out every pre we could get our grubby hands on. U87 on a vocal.

the Midas has a very touchy pre....audibl distortion before you get a "red" lite on the channel. Not a problem, probably shitty metering.
It sounds good, I wish I could say it has this that or the other with the confidence of other folks here, but honestly, It's splitting hairs on all these comparisons.

Our general impressions were as follows:

Millenia: huge, clear..........a "go to" pre for us I think.....

UA 2-610 OK, but not in this situation....we've yet to try it on drums

Vintech Dual 72: same as UA , without the softness of what I gather was the tube.

Avalon 737: Our overall LEAST favorite of the test. ran flat, it's "tubby" I never liked this box but I know others rave about it. I'm pushing to sell and put it towards something else.

Langevin vocal channel (2ch) Nice! pretty neutral

ISA110: clear, "bright" but pleasingly so....

focusrite pres in the c24.....not nearly as bad as I had assumed...pretty darn useable.....not alot of headroom.

The standout suprise that blew us all away was the APHEX 207!!!
this box was right up there....great detail and clarity. gonna try this on overheads.... cheap!

Anyhoo....the Venice was money well spent for us,we've been summing multiple outboard pre's as we hoped.....really does the job and you've got a little eq if ya need it. I love "commiting" these summed tracks to tape (PT) instead the usual 3 mic git's and kiks.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear