The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Earthworks SR25 vs SR30 vs others
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Question Earthworks SR25 vs SR30 vs others

Note: Before I begin, my main focus is on live sound with recording a secondary (but still important) issue.

I'm looking for a couple of general purpose SDCs for live instruments - strings, acoustic gtr, drum overheads, that kind of thing. These would also double as spot mics for recording. I'd like to spend about $2500 for four mics, but ending up with three would be OK.

The SR30 comes out a bit over my price range - but the SR25 fits perfectly.

What's the general opinion on the SR30 vs the SR25 - will I notice the difference? How does the SR25 compare to the KM184 or even cheaper mics such as the SM81, KSM137, or AKG451?

Edit: I already have a pair of KM183s (our primary recording microphones), a pair of AKG C430s, and a single SM81
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
the SRs are probably fine for live work, but i dont know that i would choose them for recording. i used to use cards for close micing in the studio for tracking, but have moved more toward omnis for that sort of thing unless i really want some kind of "in your face" sound. for most acoustic applications, i think omnis just sound more open and natural than cards. cards still work okay for big instruments like pianos, or stuff where you can pull the mics back several feet, but for micing at 2-4 feet or less, omnis just work better for me.
📝 Reply