The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tetramic?
Old 13th December 2010
  #91
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary View Post
Aah, I see. Interesting. That's some sort of proprietary software, I suppose? What's the sound like, in stereo? You satisfied?
If you are in a situation where a coincident pair is appropriate (Blumlein, or hypers, etc), it sounds great.

You can download the software, and plenty of raw files can be found on the web. You can mess around with it and hear it for yourself.

Visual Virtual Microphone

Check with Len at Coresound - I'm sure he can direct you to some sites to download files. I'll try to find some links when I can.
Old 13th December 2010
  #92
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Smile

The Soundfield mic. was used for stereo for many years by many people.

The advantages were that you could move and steer it in post and need not have the mic. in the perfect position on the day.

You will probably find that only about 5% of Soundfield recordings are surround and the other 95% stereo.
Old 13th December 2010
  #93
Lives for gear
 

Cool. Sounds like I might put the Tetra up on my WTB list. Shame it's kind of unusual, would've been cool to try one out first. Maybe I'll try and snag one the next time I'm stateside.
Old 14th December 2010
  #94
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Smile

Comparing the Tetramic to the Soundfield SPS200:-

The Soundfield is about 50% more expensive and about 50% larger.

The Soundfield is has true condenser capsules and is fully balanced.
The Tetramic has electret capsules, is unbalanced and only balanced at the XLRs at the end of the cable.

The Tetramic is noisier than the Soundfield.

But I would say that both are good value for money.



(Click on image to see the full size one)
Old 3rd August 2016
  #95
Gear Head
This is an old thread but I thought I'd chip in with some recent experiences with the Tetramic.

I use it almost exclusively for ambient field recordings and while it may be a bit noisy, I have had very good results in very quiet (desert) environments.

I have had no noise issues in (noisier) urban environments.

I use David McGriffy's VVEncode AAX in pro tools to convert to B Format and Surroundzone2 (free) AAX plug in to manipulate the files after that.

David supplies some very helpful templates to help with this workflow.

I needed to purchase my Tetramic at very short notice and Len (at Coresound) was very responsive and helpful, I couldn't fault his customer service (I live in Australia just to complicate matters)!

I would point out that the Tetramic is very susceptible to wind noise and I found the wind gag from Coresound to be unsuitable in more than a slight breeze while recording outdoors.

I put a Rycote windjammer over the top of the Coresound wind gag and that makes it entirely satisfactory for now.

The Rycote Tetramic wind gag system is too expensive for me so I'm looking at adapting a Rycote Baby Ball gag in the future (there are instructions on the net for how to do this).

All in all, I'm very happy with my Tetramic and definitely can't fault it for the price!
Old 3rd August 2016
  #96
Lives for gear
 

Now that the VR fad is raging around here, I've been looking at the Tetra, and also at the "Brahma" mic from India Brahma In Zoom | Embrace Cinema Gear / Embrace Video Has anyone tried this mic? Soundfield is great but so far VR work in my area is very low-budg.
Old 23rd July 2020
  #97
How does the Tetramic compare against the newer Rode NT-SF1?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 52 views: 12363
Avatar for BenJah
BenJah 25th September 2008
replies: 51 views: 13789
Avatar for Bullseye
Bullseye 18th July 2012
replies: 5000 views: 753193
Avatar for Yorgos Arabatzis
Yorgos Arabatzis 1 day ago
replies: 1296 views: 149739
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump