The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tetramic?
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary View Post
Aah, I see. Interesting. That's some sort of proprietary software, I suppose? What's the sound like, in stereo? You satisfied?
If you are in a situation where a coincident pair is appropriate (Blumlein, or hypers, etc), it sounds great.

You can download the software, and plenty of raw files can be found on the web. You can mess around with it and hear it for yourself.

Visual Virtual Microphone

Check with Len at Coresound - I'm sure he can direct you to some sites to download files. I'll try to find some links when I can.
Old 13th December 2010
Gear Guru

Smile

The Soundfield mic. was used for stereo for many years by many people.

The advantages were that you could move and steer it in post and need not have the mic. in the perfect position on the day.

You will probably find that only about 5% of Soundfield recordings are surround and the other 95% stereo.
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

Cool. Sounds like I might put the Tetra up on my WTB list. Shame it's kind of unusual, would've been cool to try one out first. Maybe I'll try and snag one the next time I'm stateside.
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Guru

Smile

Comparing the Tetramic to the Soundfield SPS200:-

The Soundfield is about 50% more expensive and about 50% larger.

The Soundfield is has true condenser capsules and is fully balanced.
The Tetramic has electret capsules, is unbalanced and only balanced at the XLRs at the end of the cable.

The Tetramic is noisier than the Soundfield.

But I would say that both are good value for money.

(Click on image to see the full size one)
Old 3rd August 2016
Gear Head
This is an old thread but I thought I'd chip in with some recent experiences with the Tetramic.

I use it almost exclusively for ambient field recordings and while it may be a bit noisy, I have had very good results in very quiet (desert) environments.

I have had no noise issues in (noisier) urban environments.

I use David McGriffy's VVEncode AAX in pro tools to convert to B Format and Surroundzone2 (free) AAX plug in to manipulate the files after that.

David supplies some very helpful templates to help with this workflow.

I needed to purchase my Tetramic at very short notice and Len (at Coresound) was very responsive and helpful, I couldn't fault his customer service (I live in Australia just to complicate matters)!

I would point out that the Tetramic is very susceptible to wind noise and I found the wind gag from Coresound to be unsuitable in more than a slight breeze while recording outdoors.

I put a Rycote windjammer over the top of the Coresound wind gag and that makes it entirely satisfactory for now.

The Rycote Tetramic wind gag system is too expensive for me so I'm looking at adapting a Rycote Baby Ball gag in the future (there are instructions on the net for how to do this).

All in all, I'm very happy with my Tetramic and definitely can't fault it for the price!
Old 3rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Now that the VR fad is raging around here, I've been looking at the Tetra, and also at the "Brahma" mic from India Brahma In Zoom | Embrace Cinema Gear / Embrace Video Has anyone tried this mic? Soundfield is great but so far VR work in my area is very low-budg.
Old 23rd July 2020
How does the Tetramic compare against the newer Rode NT-SF1?
📝 Reply