The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fuji DTRS substitute??
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Question Fuji DTRS substitute??

I use the DA78HR as a backup to recording to computer. It has saved my neck more than once. I had a good stash of Fuji DPD 113MP tapes, so i haven't had to order any in over a year. I just learned that Fuji discontinued the DPD line last year.

The DA 78 is notorious for being very picky about which tape formulation it will work with (at 24 bits) and (at least at one time) Tascam recommended that only the Fuji tapes be used.

I know there are other remote recordists using the DA78. What tape brand are you using? Have you experienced any problems with it?
Old 16th October 2008
We went through the same thing last year. You basically have 2 options:
1) purchase the Sony DTRS tape. It 's actually not that bad, but you need to check each batch for error rates. We've taken to formatting them ahead of time to check for bad tape.
2) If you are using them as backup only- take all your old tapes and transfer the audio that need to be archived to bwav. Recycle the tape as needed. We've been doing this for about 2 years and have only been buying new tapes for the clients that want them for archive. Once the computer files have been copied and verified and/or the record is out we recycle the backup tapes that clients didn't pay for.
All the best,
-mark
Old 20th October 2008
Lives for gear

Sony is the only other tape recommended by Tascam. I love this machine and use mine whenever possible. A solid sounding A-D and if you keep it clean, will be very reliable. I've also used a preformatted BASF and Quantegy with good results.
Old 20th October 2008
Lives for gear

I haven't been working with DTRS in a while, but I remember having good results and stability with Quantegy tapes. Though, I was recording 16 BITs back then, and I remember my Tascam dealer recommended Fuji tapes for 24 BIT recording when DA98HR came out.

You may want to check Quantegy out.

Hope this helps
Old 13th November 2008
Super Moderator

Exclamation

I have a bunch of Fuji 60 minute DTRS cassettes.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I will check my inventory of new old stock.
Old 11th March 2013
Gear Nut

Just wondering if other's are using a Tascam DA78 in 2013???? And what tape is working?
I've got a DA78 with only 6hrs on the heads and the damn thing will only play Fuji tape which, as you know has been discontinued in 07'. I've tried BASF, HHB, Quantagey and two batches of Sony. I've contacted Tascam and am waiting a reply from them. In the mean time, id thought id try this old thread.

cheers

Cheers
Old 11th March 2013
Lives for gear

My older fujis are getting very high error rates. The only thing that's been working is Quantegy and EMTEC (from banjo center). FWIW, the AtoD on the 78 sounds hands down better than my 003R, so I still use mine as a converter and backup to the DAW.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search