The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Silencing a Fostex D160
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Silencing a Fostex D160

Couldn't stand that rhythmic rumbling of the disk drive anymore. No way to have the D160 right in the hall...

So I just exchanged the drive with an 80 gig Samsung laptop drive (HM080GC), using an adapter set that cost me € 10 complete (IDE adapter and 2.5 to 3.5 inch adapters). Testing it now, it's been recording for well over 6 hours with no apparent hiccups, and the unit is practically silent (you only hear the drive softly when you hold your ear right next to it). Oh, and the drive cost me just over € 30...

I'm sure the same kind of drive will work in the larger Fostex machines, too, 24 channels are no problem at all for modern laptop drives, even at 24 bit.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Silencing a Fostex D160-d160yo5.jpg  
Old 30th September 2008
Super Moderator

Awesome -- how's the drive holding up?
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Haven't used it for a live recording yet, but I had the D160 continuously record 16 channels all day long and overnight, and all day long and overnight again - and then made it play back the stuff again for several hours more. No problems at all.
Will probably do another similar test run before I actually take it as backup in a critical recording.
Old 30th September 2008
Super Moderator

Excellent news!
Old 4th October 2008
Gear Addict

thumbsup
Interesting indeed!
Please keep us updated Mr d_fu.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBA View Post
Please keep us updated Mr d_fu.
Nothing much to update so far - the thing just works (even though this drive is not on Fostex' compatibility list). Haven't taken it for a live recording yet, but unless the drive fails, I don't expect problems.

I bought another one, which I'll test in my Fostex VR 800 (very practical little 8-track backup recorder, even if it's only 16/44...).
Old 11th November 2008
Here for the gear

software version on Fostex d160.

Hello d_fu read your tread about Silencing a Fostex D160.
Very intresting reading nice project. The old small disks used in this machine is not very quiet. What are the software version on your machine ?

I have D-160 whit the orginal software ver1.0 but allso have new software ver 2.13 burned in on new eprom.

You can see what version your software is when the machine is booted up. if the the d160 don´t show any soft ver on boot up the version you have is 1.00.

According to this you can use a 80 gig drive on the d160 whit softversion 2.13

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/43493-32-fostex-drive

I have found a shop that sells the same harddisk that you used:

http://www.microstore.se/ItemInfo?itemId=102859198&itemName=80+GB+Samsung+SpinPoint+HM080HC+5400rpm,+IDE

And a shop that sell the 2,5" to 3.5" adaptor.

im thinking of doing the same thing you did. But i have to change the eprom first so i have software version 2.13.

Do you think it ´s wort the effort?

I have used the d160 since 2001 always worked great.
I have two disks bought 8 gig never had a problem whit to small recording space. But it would be nice to get a more quiet machine. I hate the high freqency nosie the disc produce. The rytmic bumping nosie is not big problem for me.

one allternative i is to buy a IDE to compactflash card adapter and buy a 8 gig high speed cf card. No moving parts = silent.

And whit 8 gig i don have to change the eprom.
Old 11th November 2008
Here for the gear

Software update for fostex machine´s

Link´s for the software uppdate for D160 & other fostex hardisc recorders:
Welcome to Fostex USA

How to update the sofware on a d160:

Fostex Forums - Viewing Topic: updating the sofware on a d160

http://www.fostexusa.com/support/pdf...ement_v2-1.pdf
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

You will need 2.13, otherwise there is no support for large disk drives. I had an EPROM made for mine (because it's old and does not support updates via SCSI like newer versions). It works very well (also with the VR800, by the way), and I think it's definitely worth it.

People have tried CF cards (with an IDE adapter), but it seems the Fostex would not format them properly.
Old 11th November 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks d-fu for the advise.

80 gig of quiet drive would be very nice.

Was it hard to change to e prom ?

It´seem quite easy. The only thing that can go wrong if you turn the eprom wrong side and try to mount it.
Old 11th November 2008
Gear Addict

hi
sorry i know it's a hi jack but there seems to be d160 holders... I own one too for security backups during lve recordngs. I'd like to know how to extract files (.wav ?) from the d160 to my macbookpro. Seems i'll need a scsi hardrive and adapter to connect my scsi HD to laptop. Is it easy to transfer files to HD then to import them in a DAW ???

Could u explain the process please ?

thx

willam
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

I don't think there is a way to transfer files, esp. not off the internal disk.
I also use it as backup, and if needed, I'd just transfer files to may stationary DAW via ADAT.

Changing the EPROM is not very difficult.
Old 11th November 2008
Gear Addict

i've changed the EPROM.

I can only transfer 8 tracks at a time with Adat cause my soundcard has only one Adat in. That's why I 'd like to know how extracting track files via SCSI , cause I'm scared to do 8 tracks + 8 other tracks in 2 passes and getting not very accurate via Adat.

I know there's a way to do this using a SCSI HD, DOS formatted in FAT 16. Then a SCSI/usb2 adapter between SCSI HD & computer. But I don't know very well computer world.... Is it still possible to format in FAT16 ? Will a apple Macbook be ok with DOS formatted HD ?????? I know it's possible with a PC, I know a guy that did it... but can't contact him, & dont' know if it's possible in the mac world...
Old 13th November 2008
Here for the gear

changed the eprom on the D160

Hello I have changed the eprom on the d160.

The d160 is updated from soft ver 1.05 - 2.13

The old proms was sitting very thight. And the leggs on
the new ones was not fitting very well

So it was quite a hassel to do the change.

i had to adjust the leggs on the new ones so they fit in the holders.
Attached Thumbnails
Silencing a Fostex D160-dsc00739.jpg   Silencing a Fostex D160-dsc00741.jpg   Silencing a Fostex D160-dsc00747.jpg  
Old 13th November 2008
Here for the gear

saving to scsi d160

Hello som links about saving to scsi:

http://www.fostexusa.com/support/pdf...ers_manual.pdf

page 108.

D80 / 90 / 108 / D160v2
Old 13th November 2008
Gear Addict

thanks
'll try to buy a scsi HD to experiment...
Old 13th November 2008
Gear Guru
Some Fostex Experiences

Hi, I have been using these Fostex products for years. B16-G16-D160-D2424. They all sounded great, punching way above their weight.
ONCE I went outside of the Fostex compatible drives. I installed a (much better reviewed) IBM drive. It worked fine for quite a while and then crashed in the weirdest way. Disastrous, I lost most of an Emmylou Harris recording. I used to save via SCSI to DVDRAM. Works fine but these days I simply do a playback/record into ProTools. On the D2424 I put switches on both of the little internal fans. I then installed a slow moving large fan with a speed control in a empty caddy. This runs in the lower slot, blowing upwards. Silence.
Dan FitzGerald
Sound Sound - Homepage
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
ONCE I went outside of the Fostex compatible drives. I installed a (much better reviewed) IBM drive. It worked fine for quite a while and then crashed in the weirdest way. Disastrous, I lost most of an Emmylou Harris recording.
Was it the same size as the previous drive?
Old 16th November 2008
Gear Guru
Drive Size

Can't remember the size. Most likely it was bigger. I don't think that was the problem. Despite all being IDE there are tiny variations in the operation of drives. Even drives from the same manufacturerer change with revisions of the firmware. Fostex write firmware drivers for only a handful of drives on the market. I would stick with the Fostex recommended ones.
DD
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Can't remember the size. Most likely it was bigger. I don't think that was the problem.
It's certainly possible... If the unit's BIOS doesn't support a disk's capacity, data loss after a certain time of seemingly normal operation is well possible...

Anyhow, Samsung's 2.5" drives seem to be similar enough to the 3.5" drives to work well... heh
Old 17th November 2008
Gear Guru
Been Warned

On another occasion I used Quantum FireBall drives which were intended for use in Apple computers. They had an Apple Logo on them. I was assured that they were totally normal, fully compliant with IDE specs.
Again, trouble. Let's leave it like this. I have had several disastrous experiences when using drives not supported by Fostex. You may be lucky, for a while. At least backup frequently.
DD
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Head

OK just a quick update after seven years.

Tried using the samsung in a Fostex D2424LV and it doesn't work. It can record and play 24 tracks, but when I rewind and hit play the audio seems to play the current place, then where it was, then continues on with the current location. The disk doesn't seem to be fast enough to do quick operations.

So no go on the 5200rpm samsung drive for reliable use.
Old 22nd August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyvizier View Post
OK just a quick update after seven years.

Tried using the samsung in a Fostex D2424LV and it doesn't work. It can record and play 24 tracks, but when I rewind and hit play the audio seems to play the current place, then where it was, then continues on with the current location. The disk doesn't seem to be fast enough to do quick operations.

So no go on the 5200rpm samsung drive for reliable use.
I would think that in this day and age a SSD like this Amazon.com: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE256BW): Computers & Accessories would be more what you should be looking at. MTCW
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Head

I might try an SSD, but the Fostex seems to only work with certain disk drives. Since the OP tested the samsung I thought I might try it too. Alas it sort of works, but not totally.

If anyone else is using an SSD that works with the Fostex D2424LV I'd sure like to know the model.
Old 27th October 2015
Gear Head

After finding one post on the internet saying they'd tried an SSD on the D2424LV and accidentally bricking their system, I decided to give it a go!

Just writing this as a memo more than anything.

Bought a Kingspec 64GB SSD PATA 2.5-inch. Did a quick format and it worked. Recorded 24 tracks for a minute and it seemed to work. On playback the audio was garbled (seemed to be jumping and skipping audio everywhere). Then started getting "error 64" and "error 45" when trying to do more recordings.

Reformatted using a standard format. A couple of hours later tried again. Still garbled audio, but not getting any more error codes.

Recorded 2 tracks and it worked. Recorded 8 tracks and it worked (except for a slight garble at the start of the recording). Recorded an extra 8 tracks and it worked (incl. garble at start). Recorded another 8 tracks and the new recording was totally garbled.

So my theory is the drive reads fast enough, but when writing is too slow. It's rated at 59MB/s sustained write, which I would have thought is fast enough, but maybe because of the way SSDs write over old data this might not be fast enough.

Hopefully this will encourage other users to try out popping a faster SSD into their D2424LV if they have a spare one lying around.
Old 27th October 2015
Lives for gear

I tried putting in a SSD in an old Toshiba laptop computer. I was able to get Windows to install from a DVD onto the new SSD but the SSD wouldn't boot up the laptop. I don't know what the reason is but somehow I don't think a SSD can always be a straight drop in replacement for a traditional HDD in older machines that were built before SSDs.
Old 27th October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythecat View Post
I tried putting in a SSD in an old Toshiba laptop computer. I was able to get Windows to install from a DVD onto the new SSD but the SSD wouldn't boot up the laptop. I don't know what the reason is but somehow I don't think a SSD can always be a straight drop in replacement for a traditional HDD in older machines that were built before SSDs.
I think the general idea is to migrate everything from the old working HDD onto the new SSD via a transfer cable before installing the SSD as a replacement ? There are probably guides on how to do this, I'm pretty sure that's what I had to do when I installed my Samsung SSD...but this is probably best explored in the Music Computers forum of GS rather than here.
Old 14th May 2016
Here for the gear

Hi,

I would like to update my D 160 to vs 2.13 too....any idea where to egt eproms for this? Thank you!
Old 29th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinJulius View Post
Hi,

I would like to update my D 160 to vs 2.13 too....any idea where to egt eproms for this? Thank you!
Old thread I know. However Eproms are still available in the UK from the Fostex UK supplier (at least)

Find them here...

Nigel Taylor
Email: [email protected].

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search