The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg MR-1000 Harddrive Replacement?
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Question Korg MR-1000 Harddrive Replacement?

Anyone ever do a replacement of the Korgs harddrive? I picked up a Seagate 160GB hard drive from OfficeMax the other week. I was needing an IDE drive, but apparently got a notebook drive. I guess that's what I get for letting the pushy sales lady handle the drive all the way to the cash register. But anyway, instead of returning it for what I need for that other project(60 miles round trip, might be closed on a holiday). Could I use this drive in the Korg MR-1000? It's 4x's the size of what ships with it. Anyone do this already?

Will I need special tools? Special connectors? Schematics? Degree in Rocket Science? I'm expecting just to be able to open it up and swap existing with new, with relatively low hassle. Is this assumption wrong? Will this drive chew up my battery life at an even faster rate? same rate? lower rate? Not that I've filled up the drive that comes with it. But it'd be nice to have a little more headroom per say. Thoughts? Pics of the process if you've done it? Any special pre-installation hard drive contents manipulation needed?

Potential Replacement drives specs.

Seagate 160GB Notebook Internal Hard Drive
Ultra ATA/100
5400 RPM
8MB Cache
2.5" drive
Drive Model - ST9160821A - RK

I have not opened the box for the drive, or the Korg to see if they're compatible. I didn't even know I had the wrong type of drive until I picked up the box to open it and install, and thought it felt too light. Like it was an empty box. Any foreseeable issues with this drive? Too slow? Wrong connectors?

I suppose I could answer all/most of these questions myself, by just doing the replacement. But it'd be nice to know if I shouldn't bother opening the box, plastic wrap and all on the harddrive first.

I've also thought about using some sort of IDE to CF card tech to lower the power usage and extend battery life. Anyone ever do that one?
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

The Korg uses a 1.8" hard drive. You won't be able to put any other size in it (not easily, at least) without adapters, which will of course lower the reliability and give you potentially multiple failure points in connectivity.

If you get a 1.8" drive the swap should be relatively easy though. I've opened one up before and looked at it - the drive sites in the center of the case in a shock mounted frame.
Old 4th July 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks, nice to know. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a 1.8" drive.
Old 5th July 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, this drive won't do the Korg at 2.5", but it might do my laptop (60GB default). My IDE cables are 20 pin x2, so 40 minus 1, 39. The drive has 22pin x2, -1, so 43. Plus an extra couple of pins on the side for power. I've already downloaded the pdf of the drive to verify. And taken apart the laptop to verify. Relatively easy to do on this laptop. 2.5" x 3.75" plus matching pin arrangement according the pdf. I guess I'll just be +100GB on the laptop, and otherwise keep an eye out for an 1.8" drive for the Korg.
Old 11th July 2008
Lives for gear

Just an update, I put the 160GB drive in my laptop. +100GB is always a good thing. Now I just need to rig up wine to run audiogate and I should be able to avoid windows for another couple of years.

In the meantime I suppose I'll keep an eye out for a 1.8" drive. Anyone know if that's a sata, ide, or another one of these laptop type connections? It was surprisingly easy to replace my laptops harddrive. Once I had the right gear to power past the lock tite on the harddrive screws. I guess I could answer my own question and just open the Korg and look.

Are there any CF card replacement options that might extend the battery life of the Korg? Memory card instead of harddrive.

The best battery life I've gotten is 2 hours 51 minutes on 2100mAh NiMH batteries. With a slight overcharge. On charger till it goes out, let the batteries cool, then unplug/replug the charger and it goes another couple minutes. But that was everything on, phantom, limiter, gain on L, headphone out maxed (but no phones plugged in), and at highest DSF rates. I previously got 2 hour 43 minutes on regularly charged batteries at 24/96. Not that two hours of crickets and road/air traffic noises is all that entertaining. Although kind of neat on the 4th with all of the booms in the neighborhood. And my attempt at taps after a few too many beers. I know drifting OT.
Old 18th June 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

Toshiba MK4009GAL 1.8 ZIF 40 pin here. Note that the original blue-blue ZIF ribbon must be replaced with blue-white one. Going to replace it with an SSD when I get a job.
Old 15th July 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

Reporting my findings - Toshiba mk4009gal will write, but freeze occasionaly and the recorded files in 24/96 and dsd128 contain loud digital bursts. The same with CF transcend 8 GB x133 used via zif/cf adapter - freezes or won't keep the recorded file when Stop is pressed (Error:drive error) and the file contains loud digital click bursts. No clicks heard when monitoring/tecording with monitoring. The old Hitachi Travelstar 20 Gb works with no bursts, but it has bad sectors, so it will throw an error after a couple of minutes of recording. The Korg starts to feel like a spoiled brat.
๐Ÿ“ Reply