The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best XLR cables?
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Exclamation Best XLR cables?

Im just interested in your opinion in the matter of the best Microphone XLR cables. Intended for short distance+condenser..

Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

I like Blue's Kiwi cable. It gave me the most obvious improvement when I tried it out, and I actually have a sm57 that will only work with it. Other cables I have to compare it to are Monster, Pro Co, Shure, and ebay cheapos.
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear
I like the Kiwis too. They're a bit stiff, but they do sound good. And if you do remote stuff, you'll always know which cables belong to you!
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

To use with condenser microphones?
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Best indoor, outdoor, remote XLR cable is...

Mogami Neglex Star-Quad Mic Cable. Part No. W2534.

Try it against some serious competitors, like Gepco - I mean actual cable manufacturers, not just the peope who put them together and sell it under their brand name. You have to test for noise floor and capacitance as well as loss over distance. Star-Quad is the best, and Mogami is the best of the Star-Quad.

Make sure you terminate it properly, however. heh
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Vovox are swiss!!!
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Head

Gotham, by far (they're the cables shipped with new Neumanns). I've never heard an XLR so completely dead silent. Double shielded, too. Amazing cables.
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

I bought 200 meters of Mogami Star Quad and a bunch of solderless Neutrik connectors. I make my own custom cables now, easily. Way cheaper. The solderless connection is excellent. The phone company has used it for decades. And, you know Neutrik would not be selling junk. Think about it. heh
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

We use Gotham and Mogami cables for lines, and Gepco for in-rack wiring. Never had any kind of problem.
Old 12th December 2007
krs
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
Mogami Neglex Star-Quad Mic Cable. Part No. W2534.

Try it against some serious competitors, like Gepco - I mean actual cable manufacturers, not just the peope who put them together and sell it under their brand name. You have to test for noise floor and capacitance as well as loss over distance. Star-Quad is the best, and Mogami is the best of the Star-Quad.

Make sure you terminate it properly, however. heh
Jim have you seen/tried that new (?) cheaper star-quad from Redco? The price is tempting!
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post
Jim have you seen/tried that new (?) cheaper star-quad from Redco? The price is tempting!
I have not, but it would be great to compare it with an even load and identical connector on an Audio Precision and see how the cable fares. You planning on buying some?
Old 13th December 2007
krs
Lives for gear

Yes I need some new 75' runs for my location work. I've never been terribly discerning about cables, I always used standard (but decent quality) XLR cables.

This is the one I'm considering getting:
Redco Audio

FWIW here are the specs:

Thanks for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Best XLR cables?-picture1ud7.jpg  
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

It looks like a decent Star-Quad four conductor mic cable. Redco says itself it is designed to be a high value/lower cost alternative. I'd try it out, for sure.

I'm sure you noticed that Recco also carries Mogami Neglex?

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=493

It might be worth doing a comparison.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Old 13th December 2007
From what I understand, star-quad cable has higher capacitance than regular mic cable. I use regular Mogami W2549, from Redco of course, with Neutrik ends. I've never had problems with picking up noise, as far as I can tell. Of course, in a remote situation, the background noise is probably higher than the noise you would pick up through a regular mic cable vs. star quad. However, the loss of high end might be noticeable.

Just my humble opinion.
Edwin
PS I also got a bunch of shrink wrap with my name and phone number on it, which I put on every cable I make. Now, when cables get left at venues, often they are returned!
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

For a look at what's out there in the serious cable front, check out Lavacable.com. I've got cable from him for all types of applications. Gotham GAC-4 is what I'm using for mic cables. Modestly priced too.

Last edited by GP_Hawk; 13th December 2007 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: spelling again!! Fingers are killing me....
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

There we go again : the myth that starquad has higher capacitance.

When used in starquad configuration MOST brands that make starquad offer greatly LOWER capacitance than two wire cable.

Just check the specs at Gotham, Sommercable etc...
Old 13th December 2007
Gear Addict

I went with canare star quad,
I like the way they braid the shielding
the mogami was wrapped
found it more likely to "fold" when coiling.
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

Do you recomend using quad cables only for long runs or also for short cables???
Old 15th December 2007
Lives for gear

Gotham GAC-3
Mogami 2534

Despite what is said above, Star Quad is always higher capacitance than cable with two or three conductors.
There definitely is a place for using Star Quad. In an auditorium with improperly grounded lighting rigs or where you must share AC with lighting, it can help to minimize interferance.
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Gotham GAC-3
Mogami 2534.

+1
My whole studio is cabled using those exact two brands and types with Neutrik connectors. I make all my own cables; my supplier is Redco. If you don't want to make your own, Redco will custom-build any cables or snakes you might want. No affiliation with them; just a happy, long-time customer.

Old 17th December 2007
I have some Mogami snakes, but I made most of my individual cables out of Canare star quad. The vast majority of my work is on location, and between lighting runs and ever more ubiquitous personal communication devices, I just figure I can't be too careful. As for the extra capacitance, I suppose that might make it sound a tiny bit different than a single-twist cable. I don't obsess over that; I just move the mics until they sound right.

Several years ago I bought a huge reel of Mogami star-quad at a smoking per-foot price from Markertek. Admittedly the stuff is time-consuming to terminate. Good tools help.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head
a bit of an old thread im bringing back, but had a question..

Are star quad xlr cables only recommended for long runs?

Im looking in to what cables to build for my studio (1-8 meters max), so far I'm leaning more towards Gotham cables.

Any advice?
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear
Ive used canare SQ for 300' with no problems
Old 25th March 2012
Quote:
Are star quad xlr cables only recommended for long runs?
Actually since they have a higher capacitance than standard XLR cables, they are mainly recommended for shorter runs. By short I mean less than 1000 feet. I use Carare star quad in all different lengths and I love'em.

If you can hear a real difference in cable you are most likely kidding yourself. A sign of "Good" cable in the number of threads and the casing. Durable cable will have smaller strands of wire but more of them for increased flexibility. The casing should be tough but soft enough to resist holding to a particular shape. Canare and Mogami are both good for this. Both have braded versions also even though it is a PITA to solder.

Redco is okay, but not as good as Canare.

I have tried Clark cable also, and while the insides are great, it resists change and will not uncoil easily.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

"Long" means hundreds of feet. Seems very dubious that you could actually hear any difference between decent cables of a few meters in length. Cables are not magic despite what greedy vendors would like you to believe.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Addict

For years it was the Mogami Star Quad. I still have and use plenty of it but whenever I need new cables built, I have the guys at Redco make me cables using the Redco Quad cable. Great quality, great price, and I like the feel of the jacket to boot.

Last edited by Marlan; 25th March 2012 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: poor spelling
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

+1 for Redco. They are virtually my exclusive source for bulk cable and connectors. (I build all my own cables). Note that they also sell most of the LEGITIMATE "name brands" of cable and connectors.
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

I have been using Belden cable for over thirty years or so without a single cable failure.. I use Switchcraft or Neutrik ends and some of the cables I made in the mid 70's still work like new.
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Planet Waves Custom series - mostly the PW-M-25

Sounds open and transparent (if I dare use those audiophile descriptors here), they are extremely well made - they do last forever, I have never ever had a problem with them, XLR connectors fit very firmly and that's it - a really reliable cable that just simply works.

Quite a few of my friends bass players and guitarists also use Planet Waves instrument cables and consider that a very fine and reliable cable, especially the bass players also comment on the improvement of sound over some other lesser quality cables.

Sub-question - as I see most of you use "normal" cables, but do any of you advocate "high-end" cables - like Vovox, Zaolla, Kimber, Crystal cable (like those guys: http://www.marecordings.com/crystal_...tal_cable.html ), etc.? I just can't justify such expense for cables, especially it the difference is 0,001% if even that much compared to regular good cables... but are there any convincing stories that justify the existence of those cables and some audible proof (comparison audio clips for example).
Old 26th March 2012
In the studio I use Belden 9182 LAN network cable, 22 awg, FEP teflon, 8 pf/ft capacitance. Stiff but very open and clear sounding.

I also use Ray Kimber's stuff, the best sounding cables I've ever used or heard. I use the AGSS pure silver 3 braid for mic runs and the feeds from the analog console to the ADC. I also use the pure silver solid core 'Black Pearls" wire for my faders and inside my condenser mics.

He also has some fantastic stuff that runs over $2k. It has far less noise than common copper based audio cables and reveals far more low level details.

With silver at $35 per oz, expect to pay dearly for those. You did say best.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear