The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Position for the main pair
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Position for the main pair

Seems to be no place to put the boom any further then right behind the conductor. Flying the mics?
Old 16th September 2020
Can you drop the mics in from above? And can you tie off a pull line to the balcony or back of the stage?

You could also put a boom on your tall stand to get the mics back over the audience a little bit. Just make sure your stand Base is well weighted, and that nobody sits too close to it!
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Wire rope between the two side lighting positions and breasted back from the balcony rail on fishing line? Can't see the ceiling so is there, perhaps, a lighting position downstage of the conductor? Looks like a fly-rig or a tall stand in the seating area.

D.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

if you can't fly them, skip the mains and use a semi-circle of section mics (plus ambis); in somewhat similar scenarios, i was forced to use a pair of blm's (in addition to the inner and outer semi-circle of section mics) and got estonishing results but then i had no soloist...
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Don't sell the first row and hang at the first row position. Otherwise it is not uncommon to see a main pair on a stand in East. Get the orchestra committee to be on the side of getting a good recording instead of harping on appearance.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you all who has responded, all responses being useful and unfortunately, I am a nobody, just trying to make some record experience and nice DSD records of some quality acoustic performances taking any opportunity. When I saw the photo of the hall I thought to myself the 4th row is where it must happen for a main pair only thing.
Unfortunately, there is little hope to be heard by the venue's management so I think I will be concentrating more on and contacting with the artists directly (had some hope for a mezzo-soprano and piano duo in 2019 smashed by COVID).
Anyway, I am freaking glad to have an opportunity to ask questions and get prompt and insightful and enlightening answers as well as to have a Korg MR-1000, a really portable 3d depth preserving stereo recorder, hope I will have more spare time and focus to use it more in future besides an occasional capture of church bells at a church in my birth-town (they have a choir there, too!).
📝 Reply