The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I record an XLR shotgun mic into my cellphone?
Old 14th September 2020
Can I record an XLR shotgun mic into my cellphone?

I have a samsung s20 with a usb-c (no headphone jack *sob*) and was wondering if there was a kind of preamp xlr-usb interface thing so I didn't have to buy a zoom/tascam handheld thing.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Addict

Couple of options, like this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface
But you'll have to get the USB-B to USB-C cable yourself, its from before the 'C'-era..
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear
You can use the standard USBC-A adapter that comes with most smartphones, and then connect a standard USB audio interface.

My LG G7 works fine with a Behringer UMC202HD. Phantom power meters the proper +48VDC, suggesting adequate power supply. Powers a pair of Beyer MC930s just fine.

Bonus: use a USB hub with power delivery, and you can keep your phone charged in use with an external charger or battery pack.

Chris
Old 17th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
You can use the standard USBC-A adapter that comes with most smartphones, and then connect a standard USB audio interface.

My LG G7 works fine with a Behringer UMC202HD. Phantom power meters the proper +48VDC, suggesting adequate power supply. Powers a pair of Beyer MC930s just fine.

Bonus: use a USB hub with power delivery, and you can keep your phone charged in use with an external charger or battery pack.

Chris
wait, is this behringer interface plugged into the wall?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
No. I tested it just plugged into my phone. Phone, USB C to A adapter, USB A to B cable (the usual one that comes with an interface), UMC202HD.

I was also pointing out that if you used a USB hub with power delivery, you could use an external power source (battery or mains charger) to keep the phone topped up and power the USB interface.

Chris
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
I have a samsung s20 with a usb-c (no headphone jack *sob*) and was wondering if there was a kind of preamp xlr-usb interface thing so I didn't have to buy a zoom/tascam handheld thing.
https://reverb.com/item/35578057-cen...crosd-recorder
Old 18th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
No. I tested it just plugged into my phone. Phone, USB C to A adapter, USB A to B cable (the usual one that comes with an interface), UMC202HD.

I was also pointing out that if you used a USB hub with power delivery, you could use an external power source (battery or mains charger) to keep the phone topped up and power the USB interface.

Chris
very clever, gonna dig into this a bit more thanks!
📝 Reply