The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai GX215D reel to reel deck question
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Akai GX215D reel to reel deck question

Didn’t get any replies in another forum so thought I’d try here.
So first off I’m a reel to reel newbie, so this may be a stupid question, but any help would be great!

Long sorry short: after running through several play/erase/record processes, I moved To play and nothing happens. Like it decided it doesn’t want play anymore. Reels still fast forward and rewind, no weird noises, it just doesn’t want to play all the sudden.

I just cleaned up an akia 215 deck off this younger girl that had just cleaned out her grandparents storage, and she sold this thing to me for $15. I’ve been wanting to get into recording with tape for awhile now, and I figured If I can clean it up and it works then great! If not, I payed Just 15 bucks for a cool decoration lol

It cleaned up GREAT, all I had To do was clean it up, clean the heads, and make sure everything electronically looked ok. I replaced The power cord and it turned on just fine, ran through some play, stop, record, FF, RW, and it seemed totally fine. So tonight I put some old used tapes on it to see if it worked and it works GREAT. I erased Some tracks and ran some of my masters through it, the first went through fine, I just Ran it though WAY too hot lol so I rewound It, erased it, went to hit play and it just stopped playing. I’ll attach a video to demonstrate.

Thanks y’all!
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

I’m thinking it may be a bad capstan motor? Or a drive belt?
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Also, I cant Turn the capstan by hand when the deck is on or off. Pinch roller is very smooth. All heads are freshly cleaned, and all the tape I used is in very good condition, they’re used 641 reels.
Old 14th September 2020
Here for the gear

Just took the faceplate off, everything seems to be functioning as it’s supposed to, I can Turn the capstan by hand when it in play and stop, but it doesn’t effect anything until I turn Counter clockwise all the way until it stops the turntables. It turns clockwise with no issues, it just doesn’t spin on its own
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear
Look for an owner's manual or service manual online
This thread belongs in the So Much Gear....Or Newbie Ausio Engineering....or Low End Theory forums.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Could be a couple of things; the micro switch that turns on the capstan motor, the motor is bad, or belt.
You should hear the motor turn on when tape tension is pull up against the small lever..
Could also be a fuse, bad relay...
Have had to replace several of those micro switches over the years, plus relays...
Is it a DC or AC capstan motor? Or can you tell?
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

As much as I love GS, the best online community for those who have a passion for reel-to-reel machines is over at Tapeheads. With a few exceptions, such as our esteemed Plush, I don't think too many slutz are into tape anymore, so I am probably not hurting the ratings of this site by sending you over there.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

For the OP--ship your machine out to a repair facility. Trying to troubleshoot over the internet is not a good idea.

Pay a good tech to work on your machine. It schematics are not available or if a service manual is not available, junk your machine. It is not worth repairing.

Buy a real machine and not one off of Ebay.

Aim for a Revox PR99 or similar in good condition. Never buy a machine off of Ebay.

Junk your machine and start over--no parts are available for making a repair.
📝 Reply